LC100 IFS - The facts

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 13:21
ThreadID: 13583 Views:2622 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
OK everyone here's the final word (from me) on this subject.

This relates to the problems I was having getting facts regarding the OME IFS Suspension settings, also some facts about clearance on the IFS LC100's which (IMHO) show some advantage over a live axle.

Wheel drop is the critical measure on these setups measured by the change in distance from rim to guard (I measure vertically from bottom of rim through the center of the hub to the guard to ensure its the same each measure) from standing to when the vehicle is jacked until front wheel is off the ground.

I measured the LC100 last night and resolved the following:

Wheel Drop = 75mm (This means I could raise the vehicle no more than 15mm more as ARB require a minimum of 60mm. I will wait for the suspension to settle first) Based on this, I calculate the lift from factory to be 30mm. This number is a bit rubbery (pun?) because I was incorrectly using the floor to guard measure instead of the rim to guard measure at the time of the first measure before the fit.

The 285/75/16's have added a further 25mm so the front end is 55mm from factory off the ground.

I measured the ground clearance under the front diff at 325mm.
The clearance at the wheel, where the front-end really is a disadvantage, was 245mm.
The clearance under the rear diff was 240mm.

Thems the facts - Now for the editorial *grin*

I cannot see how the IFS is worse than a live axle on the basis of clearance alone. Assuming we are caught in ruts deeper than the 245mm then sure the front-end will drag at the wheel but so will the diff at the rear.

Granted the IFS is weaker and has less travel (articulation), but hopefully the air lockers will take care of those points.

On balance I am very pleased with that outcome and hope these points help others who are wondering about IFS lifts on the LC100.

Gaz

2004 HDJ100R (Auto)
ABR Bar/Warn 9.5XP/OME Suspension/Light Force 240/Snorkel/TX3400 UHF/Dick Cepek 285/75/16's/25lts onboard air
Melbourne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 13:40

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 13:40
Gaz - unless 'EXTREME' off roading is your thing then the LC100 IFS will do anything you will need. While my own preference is for live axles - who really gives a sh*t what I prefer - so long as it meet your needs and you are happy with its performance no one else's opinion should matter. The locker will negate the wheel lifting problem you may have from time to time but it is always best to keep as many wheels on the road as possible - hence the reason I prefer to have live axles.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 62241

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:21

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:21
Gaz

From my limited knowledge on the subject, the problem seems to arise when either or both wheels lift over a bump but leave the diff behind (relatively speaking), which is how IFS is meant to operate.

Whilst with live axles the diff lifts with either or both wheels.

Cheers
AnswerID: 62249

Follow Up By: GaryW - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:44

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 14:44
I've heard this argument before but have never understood it. If both front wheels go up then so will the center of the front. That is unless you are in the process of a fairly heavy bounce. If so then there is 85mm of extra height. More than enough. IMHO

BTW - I fully agree that for serious off road work a live axle is better. I just don't agree that IFS deserves the bad wrap it seems to get.

I think Pete (Patrol22) above has hit the nail on the head. The advantages of a live axle only show up in extreme conditions.

Gaz
FollowupID: 323590

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:03

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 18:03
I was out with a mate on the weekend, giving him 101 in 4wding as he just picked up his 96' Wide Track Feroza on Saturday. (another vehicle with IFS). The track on it was unreal, it sat in the Surf's tracks the whole time.
After several hours of just blatting around the pine plantations here in Perth, giving him some sandy hills climbs and such, he asked me what the big deal was with IFS.
I explained to him that everything we'd done during the day made no difference, I then found a motorbike jump and drove up it sideways bringing my back wheel off the ground by about a foot, because of the open diff at the front and IFS I was not making good contact with my "driving" wheel on the front and it was just spinning and pushing the sand out the way. I said, if you are doing this without a front locker it can be hard. My LSD cut in and the back wheel pushed me over the hill, but I explaied that with no LSD in that situation you would have had opposite wheels spinning and absolutally no go. Thae chances of doing that to your 4by under normal 4wding consitions is not real common, and to be perfectly honest I really had to try to make it spin and even then the ol girl just pushed itself off with a bit of throttle.
So in short, yes IFS has some traction/articulation limitations, but really nothing thats going to cause you a problem if you use momentum and common sense.
AnswerID: 62293

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:03

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:03
Hi Jeff - thank you for that explanation - even I understood it this time.
FollowupID: 323701

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 15:17

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 15:17
I have been bogged in a "soft core situation" after driving onto a bank to let a vehicle pass. when driving off I lifted a rhf wheel and lhr bogged in. just let lhr tyre down to get out but from that i would say lockers are more usefull than ridged although both would be best. Vehicle was a hj 75 campervan ridged axles
FollowupID: 323726

Reply By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:54

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:54
I aggree with partol 22 . If you are not going rock hopping or serous ruts ect . you willbe fine . The other point is that its not as comfortable as live axle on tracks . The nose wants to dip at any small pot hole or drop away in the road .

Before you all bite my head off . I am only going on a trip we did at little desert with the eo crew this year . All we heard on the radio from the ifs cars was look out pot hole or drop . All with live axles kept asking were ?
AnswerID: 62326

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:45

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:45
Eric,

More to do with the little tyres in my case (205/75R15's = 26", paticularly at 40lb pressure LOL - you remember that, don't you?). Have been caught in the ruts of Truckster (35") and Diamond (33") before.........

Generally in sand IFS would have it over rigid axle due to less need for articulation and more need for absolute clearance (particularly under the diffs). It's one time when now (post new tyres), the 14" under my front diff (IFS) is a lot more useful than the 10.5" under my rear diff
FollowupID: 323684

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 23:48

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 23:48
Your car didnt cross my mind on this one Gary . I was talking more about the Al's / Nick & Dragon . Most of the time you were behind me so I didnt get to see how your car went through . I do recall you screeming for more room to take a run up lol .
FollowupID: 323688

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 14:44

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 14:44
It is true though, all of my IFS 4bys have had more clearance under the front diff than under the rear diff, and that is good in sand driving.
AnswerID: 62417

Sponsored Links