Towing by John Cadogan

John makes some good points in a rather funny manner. Whilst much of what is conveyed is likely to be well understood by many towers, many more are simply ignorant of the risk they are to others as well as themselves, or sadly, they are just arrogant she'll be right types pulling weighty rigs and at speeds which allow no margin for recovery when things go bad.
https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/towing-trailer-australia
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 05, 2017 at 22:03

Sunday, Nov 05, 2017 at 22:03
He was doing alright until he started talking about trailer weights:

"Thing one (fully loaded trailer) is often called the GTM (for gross trailer mass) or the GVM of the trailer (for gross vehicle mass … of the trailer)."

It may often be called that, but it would be wrong - see discussion below.

"Both the vehicle and the trailer have a GVM - for the vehicle it means the fully loaded vehicle, and for the trailer it means - likewise - fully loaded. For the trailer, this is sometimes called the GTM - for 'gross trailer mass'."

Trailers DO NOT have a GVM representing the fully loaded maximum mass. GVM is a term defied in ADRs and applies only to motorised vehicles. The term for a trailer is ATM, for Aggregate Trailer Mass. That's also in ADR definitions.

And whether you call it GTM or "trailer GTM" or ATM, it CANNOT be equated to GTM. GTM is defined as the maximum allowable mass supported by the wheels.

I wrote a document for my club which explains it better than most of the stuff you find on line and in magazines.

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614789

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 08:30

Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 08:30
Thanks Frank. I thought I heard GCM - Gross Combined Mass?
Nevertheless, you would hope Johns words influence some duffers to make it their business to learn more about the issue.
FollowupID: 885476

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 08:43

Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 08:43
I have not bothered to again listen to the Clip and irrespective of the word used the important bit is that he gains attention and buy in from unaware towers. Read your article and it would be very useful for many. We need more like you to broadcast the facts.
FollowupID: 885478

Sponsored Links