Track Clearing Fun

Submitted: Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 19:52
ThreadID: 135835 Views:3058 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Ever get the feeling that some jobs are just to big but you know that there is no real option but to just get into it.

Before

Fortunately this tree came down in my bush so I had time to think about the approach I would take.

It came down across a steep 4wd track such that there was no way around at all.

The stump was over 2 meters high and positioned such that it could not be winched and even if it could be moved would probably roll and take anything attached to it on a death roll down the 40 degree slope it was balanced on.

So while I'm thinking about it the Kids arrived and spent hours trying to chain saw it, of which 1/2 the time was spent trying to recover 2 stuck chain saws before they gave up.

After

So, when I should have been replying to "Ayers rock posts" I instead spent 3 days with a Matock and finally I just managed to squeeze past.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 20:49

Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 20:49
Robin

Love ya work with the matock ( spelled mattock lol ) so much so I will happily pay for your fuel to country SA to spend 3 days mattocking in my backyard !!

But more importantly, I love even more, your work on the Ayers Rock is lost topic - couldn't agree more !!!!!

Happy safe and mattock free travelling ( albeit not on the rock )

Cheers

Gazz

AnswerID: 614809

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 21:45

Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 21:45
Hi Gazz

Thanks for fuel , but maybe I might pass this time , I'm still stuffed.

Its was interesting to try and get optimum cut to get thru.

From the picture you can see I cut both tree roots on one side and dirt on the other side at angles such that body of car wouldn't hit as it leaned.

The width of track was just enough to fit the cars wheel track.

Most of dirt cut out just when straight over the low side of the bank so while it had to be dug it didn't have to be moved far.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885496

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 22:11

Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 22:11
Book me a spot Robin. I'm coming up for a scenic steaming mocha :-)

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614810

Follow Up By: mike39 - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:35

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:35
Is it my imagination, or had the uphill side root system been cut through before the tree dropped?
Looks to have been deceased for some time. With the track so adjacent to it, a somewhat hazardous drive past.......now rectified.
Unless it was struck by lightning, you have some good firewood available.....but perhaps a little more chainsaw experience first.
Mike
FollowupID: 885504

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:38

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:38
Hi Guys

The kids got to it with chainsaws - then gave up - before I got their and took the before picture.

I never really noticed the tree before in fell , but it was pretty dead and there are several hundred more like it nearby.

I don't have Mocca , but have certainly learn't to carry a thermos with me and its usually empty by the end of the day.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885523

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:44

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:44
Such work by yourself at your (our) age is likely to bust a foofer valve. Mick's got the right idea. Next time tell us you have a new wizz bang coffee machine, invite us up, and when we get there tell us it is on the other side of the obstacle and that we need to make a track to get to it.

Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614817

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:48

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:48
I should do that Chris , it certainly takes longer than it used to to move things.

I nearly had to call for help anyway as after I broke thru and drove to the valley below I came across a steep sided boghole made by deer during the time the track was closed.

Drove straight in as it couldn't be deep and front bumper hit the exit wall , I already had front lockers in but she just spun out. Fortunately I just managed to slither out sort of backwards with careful use of handbrake and lockers.

Now I have a slight oil leak from front mounted transmission cooler (presume I caught a hose on something ) .

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885524

Reply By: splits - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 11:04

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 11:04
That is why Jack Murray carried gelignite in the Redex trails.
AnswerID: 614819

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:14

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:14
Geez, and all this time I thought it was to disadvantage his competitors by blowing up all the outback outhouses.
FollowupID: 885520

Follow Up By: splits - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 21:04

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 21:04
" Geez, and all this time I thought it was to disadvantage his competitors by blowing up all the outback outhouses "

That was the second reason he carried it. It relieved the boredom of having to wait to get back on the road again..
FollowupID: 885533

Reply By: Stefandsal - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 20:56

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 20:56
Yeah good work there Robin. Sometimes the job is so overwhelming it's best just to chip away, make a dint, leave, come back, repeat. You certainly put a dint in that!

Ha the Ayres Rock post...I disagreed with you, but respected your view as you did with everyone else...no personal attacks or rudeness on your part. Differences of opinions should not make enemies.

Stef
AnswerID: 614856

Sponsored Links