Toyota Landcruiser HZJ 78R, Bushcamper - spare parts / extensions ...

Submitted: Monday, Nov 06, 2017 at 22:49
ThreadID: 135836 Views:3864 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hiho mates,
we bought this Landcruiser (2006) and we like to change some parts and buy some spare parts for our journey.
E.g.: fan belt, fan, oil filter.
And also some special things:
roof hatch (found Onlineshop alredy),
A set of rear door seal (or gummie, or insultation or whatever its been called...).
But can't find a well sorted Online-Shop?!
Cheers
Heiner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 06:34

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 06:34
Maybe try Toyota?

AnswerID: 614813

Reply By: Theo D - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 07:12

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 07:12
Hey Heiner I cant help you with an online shop but most spare part outlets in city's and even small towns will probably carry what you're looking for in the way of filters and belts etc. Most Hydraulink outlets around Australia keep this kind of caper.

Belts... its all good to carry spare belts but make sure 100% you know how to change and fit them yourself. Youtube videos are a.must or have someone change them in front of you so you know how to do it. Sounds like you have a 1hz diesel in the 78 you have brought... your fan and alternator.belts on this model have to be the same tension... extremely critical or they will keep slipping off and will catch in fan etc.

Oil changes you should do blindfolded. Not hard at all. Learn how to flush and refill a radiator... something called an Engine Guard is also a good piece of security
AnswerID: 614814

Follow Up By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 16:51

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 16:51
Hi Theo,
very good idea to learn with youtube :) thx.

Can you recommend a special Engine Guard?

Cheers
Heiner
FollowupID: 885512

Follow Up By: Theo D - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:25

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:25
Hey Heiner

Just type engine guard into Google and it should pop up. To my knowledge there is only 1 generic brand called 'engine guard' and they are very good. They are only $100 and give a constant digital readout of the operating temperature, something a low water alarm etc doesnt do. It is important in heavily loaded diesels to monitor temperature particularly if your travelling remote... even the slightest changes in temp can cause dramas
FollowupID: 885521

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:01

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:01
A good trick is to change the belts at home before you go. This way you will know how to do it and have the current belts as spares so you know they fit. Terrible to have to change belts in the bush and find you have the wrong ones.

Alan
AnswerID: 614815

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 10:23

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 10:23
This is very good advice for a number of reasons apart from the one mentioned above.

Belts and hoses do age so it is good practice to replace them regularly rather than wait until they fail, usually at the most inconvenient time. Mine are all changed annually, including heater hoses. I also carry spares, although I prefer new spares rather than skimp by using removed items.

Clamp and adjustment screws can seize and be difficult to deal with on the roadside. Best dealt with at home. Just the other day I found my alternator belt tension adjustment screw seized and required considerable work and time to free it.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 885506

Follow Up By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 16:53

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 16:53
Hi mates,

very important hint !!!!
Thanks for that

cheers
Heiner
FollowupID: 885513

Reply By: Harry C - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:25

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:25
Make sure you carry spare" fuel filters" and olso know how to change them and bleed the system they are a must .
The windscreen is a travelling picture show

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614816

Follow Up By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 16:54

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 16:54
Hi Harry,

it's on my list - now - :)

Thx.
Heiner
FollowupID: 885514

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 10:08

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 10:08
Hi Heiner,

Have you not discovered Google?
Simply type "toyota 4wd spares online" into your browser. You will be presented with many stores that you can order online or visit. Most seem to be "well sorted". Common spares such as belts and filters are readily available from any automotive accessory store or parts supplier. There are many, use Google again to locate them near you.
Why do you need a new fan?
What is a "roof hatch" for a Landcruiser Troop Carrier?

On the subject of rear door seals, unless they are torn, you may find that the seals are actually OK and that the sealing problem is door adjustment, not uncommon with a Troopy. A simple fix is to 'pack-out' the existing seal with a strip of foam rubber available in various sizes from Clark Rubber and other stores.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 614818

Follow Up By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 16:48

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 16:48
Hi Allan,
yep, "common" parts are not the problem I think, but special Toyota parts are rare on the onlinemarket...

why a fan? i saw an broken one after a rivercrossing in nt (2 wings where gone). and also its on my "better-to-have-with-you-list"....

Roof hatch --> https://camec.com/roof-hatches-vents-cowls/roof-hatches/fiamma-hatch-400mm-x-400mm.html just to get the heat out of the car...

the problem with the rear door seals - yep, I hope you're right :) Dont like all the dust in the car. AND dont want to keep my windows close while driving.
Cheers
Heiner
FollowupID: 885511

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:09

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:09
Rear doors on the Troopy can be a problem and have little adjustment available. On my first trip in the Troopy dust poured in via the top of the door. Folding newspaper into 20mm x 5mm strips and packing it behind the rubber got us by until ay home I substituted foam rubber. Some dust still gets in at the bottom but it is bearable.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 885518

Reply By: Member - abqaiq - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 12:09

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 12:09
These vehicles get heavy fast with camping gear. The best modification I can suggest is a double diaphragm brake booster, Bramack or similar, makes the brakes in a loaded Troopy like a car\s. It is a 45 minute job to change with only 6-8 bolts to do.Do get familiar with the vehicle and carry to tools to do the typical on road repairs. Join a club to get some training..
AnswerID: 614820

Follow Up By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:02

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:02
Hi abqaiq,
yes, as I can remember the brake-system always was a problem at a bushcamper or similar vehicle...
Installing the double diaphragm brake booster is a job for the first garage, they also have to change the tyres :)

Tools and parts will be the major shopping tour for me :)

I joined the CMCA already (for cheaper insurance and so).
I will join RAC.

thx.
Heiner
FollowupID: 885516

Reply By: Member - cruza25 - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 13:22

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 13:22
A good online store is

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInOCVsLCr1wIVEiUrCh1ctw56EAAYASAAEgLXrfD_BwE

If you register an account and select and save your vehicle then it will list parts by category

Easier may be just to go to Repco (they are in most reasonable sized towns) and purchase what you need, as well as some tools if your not bringing yours.
If it’s not in stock they can got most stuff in same day.
Hoses clamps belts oils filters and basic recovery equipment is all available there.

http://catalogues.repco.com.au/catalogue/show-shine/5ck6kjxi8.html?pid=promotedCatalogue#pageNo=1

AnswerID: 614824

Follow Up By: Member - Heiner B (INT) - Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:04

Tuesday, Nov 07, 2017 at 17:04
Hi cruza25,

ahhhh, I remeber Repco :)
Thx. for the Sparesbox-link

Cheers
Heiner
FollowupID: 885517

Sponsored Links