Travelling the CSR from Halls Creek to Kunawarritji June/July?

Hohoho,
in 2015 I've done the CSR with a second car from Wiluna to Kunawarritji.
We've had to stop in Kunawarritji because his car (Toyota Prado) has giving up....
To many problems with his car...
For my Landcruiser it was an easy thing.

Now, for my next trip I think about doing the "rest" of it on my own.

What do you think? Am I to stupid? Is this challange to big? Travelling this Track alone is to dangerous?

Maybe there's a bit more traffic at this time of the year?

cheers
Heiner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:05

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:05
Have a look on YouTube .. there are a few videos of travellers who have done solo trips.

Quite do-able it would seem if your preparations are good. While it is remote, there seem to be sufficient travellers on it so that you don't die of loneliness. At least you are doing it in winter (such as it is in the desert) rather than the extremes of summer.

I am entertaining a crossing myself if the car-gods will me a better vehicle than my current one.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614842

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:46

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 08:46
Did the CSR solo in 2011, never had a problem and I won all the arguments about where and when to camp.
AnswerID: 614844

Reply By: Dean K3 - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 14:53

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 14:53
Perfect time to do it - just be mechanically competent have a sound vehicle

low weight the better.

2 spare tyres and/or have ability to repair tubes/tyres

sand flag UHF CB ch 40 (mandatory per listed on track T&C) have back up comms ie PLB HF or sat phone ideally two forms of long distanec comms

arrange extra fuel from cappy road house or get from local community either way prices around the $4.00 mark, i use this figure as a upper figure as it may increase by next year

FB has a canning stock route page on it, been plenty of discussions (call them arguments at times) on CSR
AnswerID: 614852

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 18:44

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 18:44
Heiner, definately doable solo as long as you are well prepared and take your time. Dean K3 has hit the main points. You have already done half the track but the only thing I would add is tyre pressures so you avoid getting stuck solo to save the digging.
AnswerID: 614854

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Nov 09, 2017 at 11:07

Thursday, Nov 09, 2017 at 11:07
Yeah confess I forgot that point - all about tyre pressures on CSR.

surprising how many don't carry compressor let alone reduce tyre pressures.

my old man is one of them but he does carry a compressor and can't be bothered reducing tyres pressure might explain why if I go away with him & swmbo i subtle suggest I drive abit

I'm sure we all recall that recent lost couple who got bogged with search undertaken and found following day.
FollowupID: 885570

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 18:55

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 18:55
For a competent driver with the right mix of commonsense and equipment, plus the right mix of knowledge and confidence, there is no reason why you can't travel the CSR solo. The CSR is not difficult to navigate and the drive is not technically difficult if you're doing it right.

We travelled solo in 2002 with our 2 year old child. We had no problems - we had a wonderful adventure! We met up with other people along the way and formed new friendships - we shared a few camps with them, took a few walks together, but drove at our own pace and had our own itinerary.

If you are hesitant then address all your concerns by reading and asking very specific questions in this forum or on the CSR facebook group - there is no dumb question. Check out the very comprehensive Trek Note on this site for the Canning Stock Route, (follow that link) and suggest you get the ExplorOz Traveller app and download all the offline comments to get all the tips on camps, places to see etc.
Have a great trip.

PS: we liked the top section most of all (ie. north of Well 33) so make sure you get it done!
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614855

Reply By: Member - kimberleybloke - Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 23:26

Wednesday, Nov 08, 2017 at 23:26
My wife and I did it solo last school holidays ( sept/oct) and we aren't spring chickens that's for sure! Well 33 north to Bililluna, 5 days taking it very easy, great trip, don't rush it, you need a lot of patience but a very enjoyable trip. Only came across one other vehicle on this section at this time of year, So no the challenge is not too big and it would only be dangerous if your preparation is inadequate. Have a great trip.

Regards, Mark.
AnswerID: 614858

Reply By: CSeaJay - Thursday, Nov 09, 2017 at 09:28

Thursday, Nov 09, 2017 at 09:28
We prefer travelling solo, and much like Michelle said, like to catch up with friends made along the way but yet travel to our own pace. For example I did not hesitate to do the Simpson and Hay River solo, as help is within reach and there are many travellers around (relatively I know but still).
The CSR is a long journey and things can go wrong;
I would be a bit more hesitant to travel alone, especially with kids that puts another dimension on matters.
I did the CSR with friends, and offer the following two observations:
1) it is a long way over several weeks, if the parties are not 100% in tune with each others habits, friction will develop. Departure times, should we stop for lunch or carry through to the next campsite and be there a little early, too slow, too fast, should we stay a couple of nights at a good spot or move on, eating, drinking, etc. x 20-30 days.
2) Thank goodness however I was in convoy, as many many things went wrong with my car, including cracked diesel tank and running gear issues that could only be fixed with good mechanical knowledge and good tools. Without them it would have been impossible to complete the trip.

So all up although I prefer travelling solo, I sure am glad that I did not on that trip, and that will make me think twice when planning the next CSR.
AnswerID: 614863

Reply By: duck - Monday, Nov 13, 2017 at 13:26

Monday, Nov 13, 2017 at 13:26
If your vehicle is sound, & you are mechanical, & the big one you are mentally capable of handling all the unexpected problems (if there is any) & equipped then it’s not a problem. I have done it twice full length & a couple of times just sections & prefer most of my trips as a one vehicle trip
When I did it back in 1979 in a 1972 model landcrusier 3 speed with my girlfriend at the time & her sister. We only saw a few people in total for the complete length of the track & it felt soooooooo isolated, we loved it, just the 3 of us with/against/ nature/elements since then it has never felt totally isolated as I have seen a lot of travellers using it & having HF radio/Sat phone for emergency’s & the vehicles now are a lot nicer to drive, That 3 speed had NO power steering, No power brakes, No Air con, No synchro, rag tyres, petrol, etc. on that first trip we unclipped the roof put the windscreen on the bonnet & pushed the back window out as they were stopping the breeze & I forget how many times it caught a light from the spinifex being caught under the passengers floor where the exhaust/muffler were
If you & companions are capable & vehicle is up to spec go for it & if something goes wrong other travellers will help, but if you go & are not prepared you will stuff it up for others & stuff there trip as well, as most will not leave you, twice now I have rung on my Sat phone notified authorities of stranded unprepared Wankers & have left them, yet others who were prepared & had bad luck I have towed them 100 + klms out of my way to help them
Will be on the CSR next year doing most of it but due to weight restrictions will not be able to do the 1st southern section
Good luck
AnswerID: 614944

Reply By: Trawe - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 16:10

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 16:10
Hello Heiner
Have just done the northern section from Georgia Bore. Sand dunes are easy going. Corrugations are a nightmare and extremely boring. The biggest danger is the hundreds (1000,s) of vehicles travelling in both directions. I have no desire to do it again. I can think of many other places I would rather travel.
Trawe
AnswerID: 614977

Reply By: Gaynor - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 05:02

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 05:02
Vincent was here
AnswerID: 614989

Sponsored Links