GENTRAX 3.5KW PURE SINE WAVE PETROL INVERTER CAMPING GENERATOR

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 16:32
ThreadID: 135858 Views:11650 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Im reading the winners of the Product review web site and the GENTRAX 3.5KW PURE SINE WAVE PETROL INVERTER CAMPING GENERATOR came out as a winner in regards to buyer reviews.
looking to buy a gennie than will run mainly the A/c in our van if needed .
van not handy at the moment so cant tell you what the rating of the A/C is
Ive never heard of this brand and the reviews tha i have read are all good reviews.
Has anybody used one of these if so how do you find its performance?
Also i have also read that when using a gennie that you should try and use a extention lead of no more than 4 meters would this be correct?.

Only down side i can see is that it weighs around 28 KG.
Cheers and TIA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 17:26

Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 17:26

Michael,
I think the "4 metre extension lead rule" is to keep the gennie near your van and away from others! LOL

But if you are using the full 3.5kW, then you are at 15amps and the maximum of your extension lead (unless you set-up even bigger cable and plugs).
Mind you, the aircon probably only draws toward 3.5kW briefly on startup but even so, you would not want to drop too many volts in the lead before it became a problem so the shorter the better.
Alas, I cannot comment on the quality of the Gentrax machine.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614911

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 19:21

Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 19:21
Michael
We run our Cormorant A/C plus the Cetek charger using a Honda 20 Ei on eco mode.with ease.
I would suggest you specifically check the input power requirement of your A/C and not go by the rated output.
The other aspect I would check is the noise performance figures. Some would say that more arguments are started in camps by generator use than by any other single factor.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 614914

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 21:01

Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 21:01
Don't know about arguments, but we have certainly been pi**ed off with noisy generators in campgrounds many times. Only because they don't use them during the day to charge their batteries, so they don't have to run them of a night to watch tellie or whatever ??
FollowupID: 885628

Follow Up By: Michael 1954 - Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 20:47

Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 20:47
Thanks Andrew
Have been told the Gentrax is ok but Honda /Yamaha is even better and more reliable. So thats where im headed i that direction and not in a hurry to get one at the moment.

Our A/C unit is a cormorant not sure of the rating Its in a New Age M/R 19e S/E we dont run a Cetek charger as you do.
Thanks
FollowupID: 885649

Reply By: Nutta - Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 20:03

Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 20:03
Apparently you cant believe everything you read on product review, I heard they can pay mobs to do fake reviews, maybe check some other sources also.
AnswerID: 614916

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 21:36

Saturday, Nov 11, 2017 at 21:36
The site owners say that it is quite heavily moderated to prevent that!
FollowupID: 885629

Reply By: noggins - Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 08:15

Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 08:15
I think Michael1954 was asking about the Gentrax Genni.
Not asking how many can join the generator bashing brigade .

Me I use an attima 2Kva has a constant capacity of 1700, Honda has 1600 , and I find that's quite sufficient for my needs , as to a gentrax 3.5 , a mate has one and he swears by it.
To move it around he has a small fold up trolley .( Repco )
FYI , 25Kg is less weight than an extra battery that you just some day might need .

cheezus some need to get a life and either answer the question or not and leave their prejudices at home .

AnswerID: 614920

Follow Up By: Gronk - Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 08:48

Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 08:48
A couple of posts didn't answer the "exact" question asked, but can't find any that has prejudices attached ??
I haven't read a reply on any forum that has stayed on topic.......

In fact, no reply here has replied to the question asked......
FollowupID: 885633

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 12:23

Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 12:23
Hi Michael

I have no personal knowledge of the generator.

Apparently not all reviews are favourable.

"Good price and delivery, but very noisy generator
I have run this generator for my motorhome to give it a good test. It runs a Heron 3.0 aircon, 800W microwave and the 12/240V 80l fridge easily but has a considerable noise problem. I got 63db no load, 68db at the load listed above. This is way too noisy for a campsite unless you are the only people there. I suspected this would be the case when I purchased, but was willing to do some work to rectify as the price was worth it. First modification was to strip the casing down and fully line the inside of the case and some hard plastic internal mouldings with bituminous flashing tape then spray that with under body sound deadener. I made sure all ventilation holes were clear, reassembled and retested. Didn't have the sound meter this time but the improvement is considerable. Will consider a better muffler in the future but for the moment I'm putting together a sound deadening enclosure that will keep it safe and less of a noise problem. The effort was definitely worth it as to buy a really quiet unit would cost about 4 times more, my mods cost $30 plus time. I also suspect the fuel consumption is higher than stated as after an hour at above load (only ran 800W microwave for 10 minutes) the fuel tank was at about 2/3. Unit was in economy mode and aircon cycled a couple of times. If the unit continues to work for a reasonable life it will have been a good purchase but to claim super quiet and "out of the box suitable for camping" is not quite true unless as I said there is no-one else around to complain about the noise."

There are a few others that aren't happy, mainly to do with not starting and servicing, but overall most give a good review.

Regards
Rowdy
AnswerID: 614924

Reply By: Member - Racey - Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 17:09

Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 17:09
It's max output is at 5500 rpm.; my guess is it would be "noisey". About 2000 rpm higher than a Yamaha or Honda.
AnswerID: 614928

Follow Up By: Michael 1954 - Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 20:44

Sunday, Nov 12, 2017 at 20:44
Thanks Racey
I have been told by 2 other people not on here that this gennie is ok but Honda or Yamaha is even better.
So i guess thats where im headed now in that direction.

Thanks again
FollowupID: 885648

Reply By: Member - NOSRUB - Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 16:29

Wednesday, Nov 15, 2017 at 16:29
Hi i have had one for 18mths runs great . Parked next to my mate last yr in Darwin both free camping with air cond on . His was a 2kw honda working a lot harder than mine the noise level was much the same . I could still run a lot more off mine where as he was basically tapped out .We had 30 mtr cords so no to the 4 mtr comment had no issue's. He was also pissed i could sit on my backside and start and turn mine off remotely lol . Has 4 wheels so after you get on ground easy to tow around. 3rd of price helps as well .. john .
AnswerID: 614978

Reply By: Member - kyle46 - Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 21:34

Thursday, Nov 16, 2017 at 21:34
got same unit,
it's china so far from Honda quality, but I didn't buy mine to use every day. had to replace fuel pump when I got it(which I agreed to do because I could).
battery failed inside warranty ,they replaced .
think I paid about $600 thru ebay deals. does what I need it to do
AnswerID: 615019

Sponsored Links