Trip advice to Cameron corner

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 20:55
ThreadID: 135897 Views:3684 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Wanting to do a trip from Broken hill to Cameron corner across past Lake Eyre down to Port Augusta.
We have 4WD etc and long range tanks for fuel water etc just wondering if it's possible to stay at pubs along the way or just swag it. Also how many days to allow for this trip and best routes.
thanks in advance. We will be well prepared.
Geoff
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 21:06

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 21:06
Pretty easy drive and it's your choice if you swag or not. We swag it as it's a lot cheaper and way more fun. If you want to do Lake Eyre then you can either do the Streslecki to Lyndhurst then back up to William Creek or you could do Walkers crossing to the Birdsville Track and down to Marree. My favourite way is to continue up the border to Haddons Corner and then into Birdsville. You then do the Birdsvill Track to Marree. You can easily do Broken Hill to Birdsville to Marre in 3 or 4 days
AnswerID: 615159

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 21:07

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 21:07
Hi Geoff,

Broken Hill to Tibooburra, easy drive just watch out for the dips across waterways, they can come up very quickly and catch you out.

I would stay at Tibooburra, they have pubs and a camp ground and then travel to Cameron Corner.

Cameron Corner store has a pub, accommodation and a camp ground.

The rest I will leave for others a bit more familiarand current with the rest of the trip.

William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615160

Reply By: Member - coutaboat - Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 22:20

Wednesday, Nov 22, 2017 at 22:20
We did your trip in August in our Wildtrak staying in hotels all the way. Broken hill to Tibooburra and then out to Cameron's corner and back to Tibooburra for another night. Then on to Nocundra and Windora. I NEEDED to see and cross the Cooper's Creek. Spent two nights in Birdsville and made it up Big Red. Then down the track to Mungerannie and Marree and on to William Creek all in 9 days and then all sorts of wonderful places to Ayers rock. The pubs are all fine perhaps a bit rough but worth the experience. We took all the spares with fuel and water and were prepared like you say you will but the most important bit of equipment you MUST take is your camera. Enjoy you will never forget the adventure.

Coutaboat
AnswerID: 615164

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Nov 23, 2017 at 06:41

Thursday, Nov 23, 2017 at 06:41
Broken Hill, Louth pub, tilpa pub, Bourke, wanaaring pub, Tibooburra, Cameron Corner, long day down the strez and you are back in towns again to Port Augusta.
AnswerID: 615165

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 13:30

Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 13:30
Recently travelled Birdsville, Innamincka via Walkers Crossing, Coongie Lakes, Old Strzelecki Track, Camerons Corner, Tibbooburra. It's was a great drive. Easy if swagging it. We towed a Tvan. Having your own sleeping gear will make the trip far more relaxed as you can pretty much stop when you want to rather than needing to reach accommodation. It would also allow you to go up to Coongie lakes which were a real highlight. The Aboriginal Land Council campground in Tibooburra was great & $15 . Several cars there with people using swags.
The dune road between Camerons Corner & the Old Strzelecki track is a good road & one of the most fun roads you'll ever drive!
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 615291

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 17:31

Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 17:31
If you're referring to the Merti Merti - Cameron's Corner rollercoaster, it wasn't that much fun when we drove through there back in 2016. Apart from serious erosion on the slopes of the crests which meant you had to approach them with EXTRA caution, the odd oncoming driver who decided the half of the road (s)he wanted was the middle half made it even less fun.
FollowupID: 886192

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 18:20

Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 18:20
Hi Zippo, that doesn't sound to good. Our experience of that road was in September this year. Certainly there were the expected corrugations, but apart from that we found the road to be in very good condition, & the few other vehicles we encountered were all courteous, resulting in no 'scares' at the top of the dune crests. Road conditions vary greatly over time, & perhaps we just got lucky with that & fellow road users. I can easily envisage that the nature of the road could potentially encourage the 'inner hoon' of some folk, but I reckon the majority recognise that caution is wise when that far from help.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 886194

Follow Up By: Zippo - Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 18:36

Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 18:36
We didn't see corrugations on the rollercoaster section. The erosion was ruts up to 400mm deep running downhill from the crests, which presented a serious risk of tramlining.

It only takes a couple of middle-of-the-roaders (who think they are alone on the road) to have you and your passengers on the edge of your seat on all the crests thereafter.
FollowupID: 886195

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 18:45

Thursday, Nov 30, 2017 at 18:45
No ruts for us ................. thank goodness.
Must've been wet some time before you were there?
We (Wife & I) did comment about the risk of 'middle of the roaders', but I guess we got lucky.

FollowupID: 886196

Sponsored Links