Dragon Tree Soak.

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 13:33
ThreadID: 135912 Views:2759 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Been looking at the feasibility of doing this from the Tanimi track heading west. Having trouble finding out about require permits and pastoral permissions. Any ideas on this subject would be much appreciated. I've already been through this site already and dont really want to watch videos of someone else doing the trip just help with the permissions. :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 15:04

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 15:04
You'll probably want to go down the McLarty.

Track is OK, not as well used as the CSR.
In regards to permissions, its been six years now since I went through so they have probably changed contacts - however just find out the tenure of the land and give them a call on the phone.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615207

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 15:18

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 15:18
Was looking at departing just north of Billiluna and heading west. Figured out a fair wack of the trip is Crown Land.
FollowupID: 886047

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 15:24

Saturday, Nov 25, 2017 at 15:24
That track is good, have been as far as Mount Bannerman.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 886048

Follow Up By: andy - Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 04:16

Sunday, Nov 26, 2017 at 04:16
Track from Tanami Rd to Christmas Creek is fine (2014 and 2016). It is regularly travelled by the locals from Billiluna and Christmas Creek (Watkangjunka). It crosses the land of Bulka Station and Yugawalla Station. For contacting them see //www.facebook.com/pg/Yougawalla-Bulka-Margaret-River-Stations-163390230442168/about/?ref=page_internal
Regarding travelling to DTS only one or maybe two options are left:
1. travelling southwest through Beefwood Downs approx 20 km southwest of Christmas Creek) until hitting the Mac Larty Track that goes west until it reaches the turnoff towards the Mac Larty Hills and then DTS. I only know of two cars taking this route more than 10 years ago. The drivers, experienced desert travellers, described it as difficult. On the Bing Satellite map this track up to the turnoff to the Mac Larty Hill is still well visible.
2. a better option is travelling southwest along the southern edge of the Edgar Ranges and then continuing towards the Mac Larty track as shown on the 250k Natmap. This track was taken by Equinox and Mick O. some years ago. For more information contact Dampier Downs.
The third possibility reaching DTS on the Anna Plains Track through Pegasus Oil Well is not possible any more as it is heavily overgrown, and approching DTS from the south involves a longer distance of cross country travel.
Note also that the ground water level in the area is high so that after rain bogging is a real possibility.

Have a look at the Bing Satellite Map before travelling to DTS.
Cheers
Andreas
FollowupID: 886059

Reply By: AlanTH - Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 18:28

Wednesday, Nov 29, 2017 at 18:28
Our club had a group do it about 4 years ago and from memory a lot of the tracks were heavy going with one vehicle collecting 37 punctures.
Lot of scratches and lots of camels there that had pulled up fences apparently. I believe they went in off the NWCH not far from the 80 mile beach area and through Anna Plains.
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 615276

Sponsored Links