A question on tents...

I realise this thread may have been done before, but throwing it up incase other products have come on the scene.

I currently have an Outdoor connection Bedarra tent for my small family travels (2 adults and 2 x youngins). It has been a great tent but the kids are now at an age where Im not overally excited (neither is the missus) at spending an hour putting it up and half an hour putting it down.

Have since looked at several other tents in the shops, researched a bit on the net and spoken to others that have the tents Ive browsed but the decision is not coming any clearer. Im heavily leaning towards and Rv5 Oztent, have seriously looked at most of the Blackwolf tents (bigger range) and even had a gander at some of the bigger instant tents from Coleman and Dune. The quickness of the Rv5 is just too good to refuse, but it just lacks space. Im only looking at buying 1 x tent rather then lots of extra add ons etc

Im not overally fussed about physical size of packaging or weight (noy an issue for me) - my main point of interest is the quickness of setup and practicality. The quality of all tents these days seems to be the same across the board, I guess it just comes down to ease of use (unfort the Outdoor connection just doesn't do it for me now)

All thoughts appreciated on those that have these tents or perhaps a tent Ive.not seen! My budget would be $1200 which in my mind is overkill for a bloody tent!

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 15:52

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 15:52
We àre lucky to be in a position of testing many products that còme onto the camping market, overall we like the oztrail fast frame 2 or a close second would be the Coleman instant up gold, both are similar weight (12-15kg), about an 10 min set up. The coleman gold is rated to 100kph winds, which would depend on the pegs you use, both have a more vertical wall for more internal room when standing inside, pack up size is approx 1600mm long x 400mm dia. Price is about $400, but can be had cheaper on special, for a very tuff tent, you cannot go past the Southern Cross centre pole tourer, but due to the wall taper you lose internal room. I hope this is a help for you.
AnswerID: 615438

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 17:30

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 17:30
With the tourers, get the side pole kit to free up floor space . . . also ther is the extended back ones that do give a lot more room internally.
You'd need a larger size like the Oztrail Tourer 9+ I would think.

Side Pole Kit

Hmm, that Snowys deal is a bargain there, side pole kit price too !!
FollowupID: 886430

Follow Up By: Theo D - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 21:26

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 21:26
Thanks for the tip on Southern Cross tents. Hadn't heard of that one before! They certainly seem very well made.

I've had many Colemans before and they do the job. My only reason for looking at them this time around is the sheer amount of room the larger models offer. They are also a dam sight cheaper, too. They also have a dark room model too which looks the goods.

At this stage of the game, Id still lay money out for the Oztent... but the Colemans are 2nd!
FollowupID: 886433

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 17:31

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 17:31
We went from tents to swags. Ways easier and quicker to setup. If you want a bit of comfort then get the kids a swag and get you and the missus a rooftop tent
AnswerID: 615440

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 18:41

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 18:41
Swags are good but if the children are under 12/13 they have difficulty rolling them up for transport then you end up doing it. If its raining then you need to put up an awning That Tourer + looks OK I've seen a family of four in them ...all good. I've been a tenter all along and like it that way.

Jeff
AnswerID: 615441

Reply By: oz doc - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 19:15

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 19:15
Hi Theo- have you looked into any of the "air pole" type tents? Im wondering if they might be included in the qick and easy catagory. All tents need pegging down so its probably the pole set up that is the time difference. I have watched a few videos on some of the air tents and they look rather quick. I notice outdoor connection are bringing out a range of air pole tents. Food for thought. Doc
AnswerID: 615442

Follow Up By: Theo D - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 21:21

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 21:21
Hey Doc. Yes I see on the outdoor connection website that they have the airpole tents arriving soon... I will be keen to see. I made the decision a few years ago to buy an outdoor connection tent as they are good quality. I saw a female camper one time at Speewah near Cairns who camped for a week in what would be the absolute worst conditions imagineable and she didn't get wet the entire week.

I did see a large Turbo lite Twin by Black Wolf at BCF the other weekend with the air pole system. My only doubt would be the longevity of the tent. By all means they look very fast, but I might wait and find some more reviews on them first to see how they go.
FollowupID: 886432

Follow Up By: gbc - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 14:24

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 14:24
We used inflatable UN hospital tents in the 90’s. They were useless. You’d blow them up to max in the morning, the relief valves would go in the heat of the day, and then the bastard would go flat each night in the cool air. I hope they have worked around this minor issue because the physics remain the same last I looked.
FollowupID: 886443

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 20:02

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 20:02
Hi Theo

Even though we have not used our tent for a few years ( we now have and use our Ultimate camper ) we have the RV4 and what I can tell you it is the best tent that we have ever had, and we also have a new Southern Cross Tourer tent in the shed and does not stack up with the Oztent.

They are 100% waterproof, extremely stable in strong winds ( when very windy, you must use the supplied ropes to make it stable ) and true to its 30 second erection time.

When I say waterproof, I mean exactly that and one time over on Kangaroo Island, we had 110 mm of rain overnight in Kingscote and we did not get one drop of water in tent, and next morning, there was a 50 mm water ring around the outside of the tent, showing that at one point we were under water.

My vote is the Ozrent No 1

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615444

Reply By: Theo D - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 21:34

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 21:34
I'd be particuarly keen to hear from any Black Wolf owners out there. I've read so many good reports about them, but another couple we camp with have the Turbo 300 and Im not sold. Its a great looking tent and it goes up pretty fast. (They arnt camping regulars) but it gives them ALOT of curry when it comes to packing it up.

The range of Black Wolf.far exceeds OzTent, as well as the roominess (though the 240 and 300 turbo don't look tooooo much bigger then a rv4 or rv5) but the downfall I worry about if I was to purchase would be the packing up. Im happy to have a beer while I pack... but I don't wanna stand around sinking a carton!
AnswerID: 615446

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 22:03

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 22:03
Gidday

I have a Black Wolf Turbo 240.

The reason I preferred it to an Oztent at the time was the packed size. I only had a car and the similarly sized Oztent was too long to fit in the boot.

It helped that I was able to buy at a closing down sale with a substantial discount.

I am a solo traveller and only take it if I am going to base camping for more than two or three or more nights. For overnight a swag on a stretcher under the awning is preferred.

I can pack it myself without too much trouble but an extra pair of hands is a help. Key is not to rush it. And practice helps.

One thing is that because I sleep on a stretcher in the tent as well, the sloping walls mean my head and feet are close on a 190cm stretcher. It's 2.4m at the base but a fair bit less than that at the height of the stretcher. The straight walls of the Oztent give extra room.

If I was buying now I might prefer an Oztent but it would have to ride on the roof rack whereas if I am not on a big trip and packed to the gunwhales the Turbo Tent fits across the back seat in my Prado.

The Oztent goes up in 30 seconds but you still have to peg it down etc so the set-up time is probably close.

I am still looking for the perfect tent for me. I suspect I will never find it.

Good luck.

FollowupID: 886434

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 22:13

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 22:13
I have a Black Wolf Turbo 210.

Solid as a rock, easy to put up and take down, though does take a bit of time if solo. I'm a freak about guy ropes, ALWAYS use them, so that adds time.

A little bulky and heavy, but as I said, solid as a rock. We were camped at Birdsville once and did an all-day day trip to Haddons Corner. While we were gone, B'ville suffered a sandstorm. When we returned, all the other tents, awnings and gazebos were rolled up in a corner of the campground. Our BW turbo tent was still standing, all by itself in the campground.

Definitely recommend the brand.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615447

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 22:18

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 22:18
Have to endorse that. I was at Dirk Hartog Island (name dropping I know) a few weeks ago and the wind can blow there.

All day, and all night.

Lots of flapping but I never had any fear the tent would blow away.

Cheers
FollowupID: 886435

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 17:55

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 17:55
We've had a Black Wolf turbo 210 for years and love it.
This year, with two other couples, we spent a couple of months on the Tanami/Canning/Anne Beadell, and all of us had Black Wolf tents - the others with a 240 and 300 respectively. If we bought again we'd probably go for the 240 to give just a little extra space.
Easy to put up and pack away, easily fits in the canopy (rather than having to go on the roof like an OzTent, and very robust and durable.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886445

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 23:48

Saturday, Dec 09, 2017 at 23:48
Choose a quick pitch tent to suit your needs in terms of a couple sleeping and a group sitting around (in the rain, away from the mossies and flies etc.) then consider one of the better "instant " pop-up tents (we have a Quechua 3 person).

Additional sleeping room for the kids, amazingly quick to put up and take down, leaves space in the main tent, does not take up much room.

Personally I find the Oz tent and even the Black Wolf to be well overpriced for what they are, (yes, I've used both) but some love them, each to their own.
AnswerID: 615449

Reply By: Dusty D - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 07:40

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 07:40
"The quality of all tents these days seems to be the same across the board...."

I would have to disagree with your observation there, Theo.

In researching tents earlier in the year, quality and the lack of it in some brands became the determining factor for me as long term durability was paramount and in the end I went with a Black Wolf Turbo 240. It ticked all the boxes for what would suit the wife and myself as a touring tent and although a bit fiddly to pack up at first, the more times we did it, the easier it became.

We have been away on a couple of trips with friends who use the Oztent RV4 and they could definitely set up quicker than we could, but seeing as how we are not that concerned about saving 5 minutes in setting up and an extra 10 minutes in packing, we are happy with the BW. The time our friends saved in both the setup and pack up was negated by the extra time it took them to load the Oztent onto the roof rack and tie it down.

Dusty

AnswerID: 615453

Follow Up By: Theo D - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:35

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:35
Hey Dusty. Fair point... I guess when you look at the top of the range stuff (say $600) the quality doesn't differ too much. Bw, Oztent etc... they are all well built. At the end of the day you still get what you pay for. The $300 10 person tent from Rays outdoors with a brand name.new to me is probably not the answer! How do you find the 240 size wise... would you consider it to havr enough room for say 1 x inflatable queen mattress and say 2 x stretchers? (No other gear)
FollowupID: 886442

Reply By: AlanTH - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 09:31

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 09:31
We've had an Oztrail Tourer 9 for must be 10 years now and although it takes up a bit of room it's made of good canvas not synthetic stuff, is waterproof and has space to get dressed in etc.
We did purchase an Oztent RV4 about 3 years back but didn't like it although I built a nice rack for it to slide onto from the back of the vehicle.
First trip out the seam along the bottom opened up but it was replaced without argument by the makers.
Sold it to friends who are still using it regularly without any problems.
AlanTH.
AnswerID: 615454

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 09:30

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 09:30
Further to the above, we've never used the frame and it's still in the plastic it came in. Just the centre pole makes for a fairly quick erection/dismantling for those overnighters or even longer stays.
The Cook is glad we never sold it before trying the Oztent so I did something right for a change. :-))
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 886456

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:36

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 10:36
We had a Black Wolf turbo tent. Loved it in the beginning, easy set up and we did not have a problem packing it up.

But it was not all that good in rain, the fly does not cover the lading sides very well if rain comes with wind (side rain) and the seams leaked. (we had the lighter material)
Anyway, replaced it with a Oztrail, same size and similar flame, at a third of the price we paid for the BW. Had it for four years now and if I had a choice (no regard to price just on fit for purpose) then I would take the Oztrail again.
My comments are my own, had 25 years of tenting, had an Oztent as well, so it is a considered comparison as opposed to "ÿes we have one and we are happy"
I really liked the Oztent the best, but in later years we got rid of the roofrack which is why we went for the BW
AnswerID: 615455

Reply By: Theo D - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:56

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:56
Well... after having a bit of a snooze on things I think I may have thought of a bit of a likely setup...

Purchase an OzTent RV5 and use it purely as a sleeping quarters. With myself and missus on the queen inflatable, the kids will have (should have...) ample room for a mattress themselves or stretcher/sleeping bag. The kids at the moment are only 2.5yrs and 8 months (so plenty of room for time being). Any other room in the tent would have handy for clothes and other storage etc

Should storage be an issue I do have a handy 4 man Coleman which I've had for well over 10 years. It can be used to house clothes bags and other items which the OzTent may not have room for. It could be pitched right next to the OzTent or at 45 degrees for easy entry etc. We also have a nice 3.5 x 3.5m Gazebo which has been fantastic for our camp kitchen and table etc, as well as the 3x3m awning on the Landcruiser.

So this could potentially be the way forward.
I still can't get into the Black Wolfs. I watched more video's on set ups and pack downs last night on Snowy's website and youtube etc. It just can't beat an Rv5... yes it will take up a bit more room on the roofrack or trailer, and we may only be talking a matter of mere minutes in set up and packdown difference... but the OzTent just looks too good.

I see OzTent ceased making they're range of Jet Tents... has any one got an idea why? They dont look too much different to a BW.
AnswerID: 615457

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 22:22

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017 at 22:22
Hi Theo,
After several years of complete satisfaction we are moving on from our Black Wolf Turbo 300 to a camper trailer and I'm sorry on many levels to see it go. Echoing others, it is SUPER easy to put up. We've been through some extreme weather and never had a problem with either water ingress or stability. It is better if two people are involved in packing it up but if you take it methodically, it's no problem. Louise
AnswerID: 615461

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 07:58

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 07:58
Nylon tents (Coleman etc) are only good in dry weather. If wet they saturate and everything inside is wet.
We settled on a Darche Airvolution inflatable tent. Its fantastic and like a Tardis, bigger on the inside plus you can stand up in it to get dressed, others you can only stand up at the front unless you are short.
Super quick setup.
Have a look at the Darches.
AnswerID: 615464

Reply By: Top End Az - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 21:16

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 21:16
We have the Blackwolf 300 (not turbo). Goes up in 1 minute. Down in a few minutes. Putting the awning up is a little longer but we only erect it if expecting rain or staying more than a couple of nights. It's easier if you have 2 people. We regularly use it for 4 weeks a year touring Oz and love it.

It's bulky and a tad heavy but fits in the tub of our Dmax dual cab. We've been at camp sites during windy gusty conditions and have literally returned to find ours is the only tent not blown away.

The secret to packing up is compressing the tent to fit in the bag. We use cam straps ( 3 of them) from Bunnings to squish it up which only takes a couple of minutes. Goes in the bag easy.

Enough room for 2 king single camp stretchers and an inflatable mattress for our boy. Or without the mattress enough room for camp chairs in bad weather. Our bags etc go under the stretchers freeing up room.

We bought from our local Darwin camping shop. They wanted $1500, told them we could buy online for $850, and after calling their supplier dropped it to $900 so it's worth asking the question. Ours has had probably 6 months worth of nights in it, and can't fault it.

There is no wear or tear. We've had a few cheaper tents and they've broken poles, torn, leaked and been painful with putting up and down, and have let us down when you don't need it etc. The $$ spent on the tent has been worth it, and good resale too. Now had ours for 5 years. My 2 bob anyway.
AnswerID: 615473

Follow Up By: Theo D - Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 22:26

Monday, Dec 11, 2017 at 22:26
Thanks for this. Yes we have heard from a few people cam straps or even a few bungy chords help in putting it back in the bag.

We will do one last look at tents in person this weekend, will certainly have one last good look at Black Wolf but at this stage the Rv5 with the smaller 4 person Coleman tent (which takes up absolutely no room and assembles in less than 3min) is the goer.
FollowupID: 886463

Sponsored Links