Blog Review: The Duncan Road

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Hi Stephen, Thanks for taking me there! A great write-up and photos and will certainly put it on our list. Cheers, Baz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Dec 15, 2017 at 08:28

Friday, Dec 15, 2017 at 08:28
Hi Baz

Thanks for taking the time to view my latest Blog.

For some reason, it is one road that you never hear much about and it is through my Blog that I might tempt other visitors to the area to drive and experience the beauty of the Eastern Kimberley.

The surprising thing that we noticed was the complete lack of other vehicles driving the road compared to other roads like the Oodnadatta Track, Birdsville Track or the Strzelecki Track where you will at least see other vehicles every half hour or so. In some way it reminded us of the Anne Beadell Highway where you have the area to yourself.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615537

Reply By: Member - Munji - Friday, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:48

Friday, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:48
Thanks for great information Stephen

I have recently moved to Kununurra and had been looking at this one.

The information you have provided was very good and has now encouraged me more than ever to do this trip.

AnswerID: 615545

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Dec 15, 2017 at 14:17

Friday, Dec 15, 2017 at 14:17
Hi Munji

This will be a perfect drive for sure, with lots to see along the way.

Enjoy your drive.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886566

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 09:19

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 09:19
Thanks Stephen, Your contributions to EO are fantastic and certainly are interesting.for reading and research.
AnswerID: 615565

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 13:21

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 13:21
Hi Tony

Thank you very much for your kind remarks.

Trust me I also benifit from reading other people's reports and blogs and they are the perfect way of what can be expected into a new area that you are traveling.

Rather than giving a write up, readers can also see the changing road as you travel the Duncan Road.

As I said in the blog, for the prepared traveller, it is a fantastic road to drive is is up there with all the other major outback drives.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886595

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 13:46

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 13:46
Thanks for taking the time to put your blog together Stephen. You put plenty of information in your article.

My wife and I travelled this road in the reverse direction a few years ago while travelling through the Kimberley Region with friends. The other couples travelled down to the Bungle Bungles from Kununurra. That wasn't an option for us because we were travelling with our dog at the time, so we went in a different direction and we planned to meet them in Halls Creek in a few days time.

From Kununurra we drove out to Lake Argyle. To this day it is still one of our favourite parts of Australia. We drove on to the Duncan Road and spent a couple of memorable days travelling through this remote part of the World.We only passed three vehicles on the entire trip and two of them were a road crew heading to Kununurra for the weekend.
Did you spot a memorial/grave site on the south side of the Negri River? Just before we came to the river there was an old Aboriginal fella sitting under a tree in his good clothes with a bottle of water. We pulled up to see if all was okay and he said it was all good. On the other side of the river I spotted a memorial set high on the river bank with majestic views over the river and lands.

We camped along a creekbed somewhere south of there. While I was gathering firewood I noticed a tree stuck about 8 metres off the ground in the limbs of a large tree. When I saw that I got an appreciation of the huge volumes of water that flow through that region during the wet season.

As you stated, the section nearer to Halls Creek has some beautiful gorges. This part of the road deserves at least a couple of days to really appreciate the beauty and solitude of the area.

Thanks for your blog.
Steve.
AnswerID: 615568

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 07:46

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 07:46
Hi Steve

Thanks for your kind comments. Like you, seeing that we were travelling with our dogs and wanted to visit the Bungle Bungles, I searched the maps and found a dirt road that would take us the back way to Kununarra, so set plans in action.

What I found as a complete surprise here on the EO form, is the complete lack of chat about this fantastic drive, and it is now great to see that everyone that drives it all feel the same. I can now see why those that have driven the Duncan Road return to do it again, and trust me, when we do return to the Eastern Kimberley, will do the drive again, but next time would like to do it in reverse, the same way you drive it.

As for the grave, yes I followed the track in, but because the grass was so thick and high, I was a little concerned about snakes and did not want to trust my luck with shorts on......lol

All the best and Seasons Greetings.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886616

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 16:56

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 16:56
Always interested to read about the Duncan Highway, Stephen. It's on the bucket list, so good to read your blog, and check out the great photos.

Below is a photo taken 45 years ago. Not much has changed apparently, except the sign, the style of transport and the breed of dog!

When the main Ord River Dam was being built in 1970-71, they changed the alignment of the highway from the Behn River north, as the water level of the dam would cover parts of the old road. The old road used to junction with the Victoria Highway, probably where the quarantine station is now.

Where the Duncan crosses Hicks Creek is where we used to have dinner camp when mustering the Newry Station Bullock Pdk. Think there was water there most years, and would have been a good place to camp. We'd muster the cattle to there for dinner, then walk them back to Glenarra Bore, where we'd spend a couple of days drafting out the fat ones on horseback, before they went to the meatworks, in either Katherine or Wyndham.

Just need to find time to go back there now,
Thanks,
Bob
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 615571

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 18:29

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 18:29
Hi Bob

You are lucky to have been on it back then, half your luck.

I bet the dog was a Red Heeler, looks like it with its double eye patches.

Considering it is about the same length of the Birdsville or Stezeleki Tacks, I think the Duncan is far better in terms of scenery and the drive itself.

That was the reason why I did the blog, a sit is one road that gets very little coverage here on the EO forum and I hope it prompts more to travel it.

Seasons Greeting to you and your family.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886606

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 20:26

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 20:26
Hi Bob,

Where the Duncan crosses Hicks Creek is still a good place to camp. I have camped there three times- 2014, 2015 and 2016. Each time the causeway has been dry but there has been water in the creek on the Eastern side. There are quite a lot of birds in the area.Brolgas, herons and egrets are regular visitors and on one occasion I saw a pheasant coucal. I have also seen crocs in the creek.

Cheers,

John
FollowupID: 886608

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 23:45

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 23:45
Hi John

You lucky bugger for driving it 3 times.

Have you driven it both ways? If so what do you think the best direction is?

Noth south, or south to north.

What time of the year did you see the crocs there.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886615

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 09:41

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 09:41
Hi Stephen,

All three visits were in July.

In 2014 I drove down the Duncan to Halls Creek, camped at Wolfe Creek, continued on down the Canning to Wiluna,then back up the Canning to Halls Creek, camped at the Bungle Bungles and returned to Kununurra to pick up my camper trailer. I had left the camper for 6 weeks in the shade of the mango trees at Zebra Rock Gallery as I did not want to tow on the Canning.

In 2015 and 2016 I was travelling West on the Victoria Highway. In July there is a lot of tourist traffic and all of the roadside stops on the highway are packed with campers. It is a far better option to drive 20 kms down the Duncan to camp at Hicks Creek. It is a good camp spot with lots of wildlife and usually no other campers. It also enables you to arrive at the fantasticKeep River National Park in the morning and get a good campsite.

Cheers,

John

FollowupID: 886621

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:45

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:45
Hi John

Thanks for that.

As we approached Hicks Creek, it looked like it was going to be a dry creek crossing, until we pulled up on the causeway....well what a surprise it was and with the Pandanus growing by the waters edge, it sure looked like croc country.

Seasons Greetings

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886624

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:29

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:29
Hi guys,

Anyone know where this thing is?

I had a look earlier this year for a few kilometres along the border south of Bobtail Creek.

Now I think it may be between Bobtail Creek and Hicks Creek.
Nice write up Stephen.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886626

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 13:50

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 13:50
Hi Alan

That sure is one Oblisque to try and locate. Was the the state border one you were mentioning before?

Seasons Greetings and I hope Massie gets a big bone.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886630

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 14:02

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 14:02
Hi Stephen,

Yes, this is the one I was mentioning before.

I think the local historical society has been there according to Google however thought someone may know here.

I want to visit as this is the same line that passes by the two columns at Surveyor Generals Corner and Deakin Obelisk on the railway line.

Seasons greeting to you and Fiona too.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886631

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 15:56

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 15:56
Hi Alan

If the maps are sort of right, it would be south of Hicks Creek and around an 8 kilometre return walk / bush bash, west of the Duncan Road.

I wonder if Bob can through any light on it seeking he worked in the area a few years back or have you spoken with Rosewood Station?

Google Earth shows no track out in that area.

Depending what map you look at, there are 2 places where it could be. The first one is as you say, west of Bobtail Creek and then the second one, midway between Bobtail Creek and Hicks Creek.

Either way it would be great to bout there and locate it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886632

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 16:04

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 16:04
Hi Stephen,

Here is my plot of search.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886633

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 16:10

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 16:10
Hi Alan

Then when you look on the Natmap, they have it midway between the 2 creeks and aprox 2 Kilometres east of the Border inside the NT.

The nest step could be the Kununurra Historical Society.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886635

Reply By: Member - sparra - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 06:22

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 06:22
I Agree,It's a Great Drive,Traveled it 3 or 4 Times Over The Years. One Time I got Invited in To Camp at a Road Crews Camp just Near Forrest River,a Good Night having A Yak and Few Drinks Around The Campfire, Very Enjoyable.
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 615579

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 07:51

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 07:51
Hi Sparra

I can see why you have driven it that many times, it is such an enjoyable drive.

I can not see why it has been kept so quiet here on the forum and I hope my blog will prompt other to leave the bitumen and experience this magnificent part of the Kimberley.

Seasons Greetings.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886617

Reply By: Member BarryG - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 10:44

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 10:44
Well done Stephen! What a great report!
We drove the Duncan Road in the same direction in May 2016 and really enjoyed it (with the Ultimate in tow, of course). The isolation is amazing - we saw only two vehicles between Halls Creek and the Victoria Highway!
Barry
AnswerID: 615580

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:34

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 11:34
Hi Barry

Glad to hear that you also enjoyed the Duncan Road, as it is a fantastic road to drive and I can not see why others have not written about it here on EO, or perhaps thet want to keep it a secret.

Seasons Greeting.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886623

Reply By: NavaraNick - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:58

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:58
Hi Stephen
Excellent blog - thanks for writing it. It's that kind of blog that gets people interested in exploring places that they hadn't previously thought of!
I have been thinking about exploring the Duncan Road ever since we did the GRR a couple of years ago. With any luck we might be able to get around to doing in mid-next year.
How many days would you suggest allowing to travel between Halls Creek and Victoria Hwy?
Cheers Nick
AnswerID: 615582

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 13:43

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 13:43
Hi Nick

Like I said in my blog, we looked at all the Duncan Road special places as far out as Sawpit Gorge over 2 days while staying in Halls Creek, but if you were going to camp out there, it would be even better.

When we did the full Duncan Road from Halls Creek we were on the Duncan Road for one and a half days, but in hindsight, we could have extended it even longer.

Since competing the drive, I have since found other points of interest also Ng the way, Ao that would take more time.

The road is usually cut for about 3 months during the wet season, and when you see thedebris high in some of the trees and size of the creeks...or likely they should be called rivers, you can see why.

When we do it again, I would like to do the drive over 3 days.

Seasons Greetings.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 886629

Follow Up By: NavaraNick - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 16:09

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 16:09
Thanks Stephen - the advice is much appreciated!
Cheers
Nick
FollowupID: 886634

Sponsored Links