Road condition report needed

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:20
ThreadID: 135988 Views:3789 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Contemplating a road trip to Bunbury WA in Feb. There is a road from Norseman to Hayden or the other option, just sth of Norseman / Dundas to Lake King. Not towing anything, Info on either of these roads would be appreciated.
Thanks
Rusty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:26

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:26
Gidday
Norseman-Hyden is a good outback dirt road through some lovely country. It is a popular tourist route with several nice campsites and detailed story boards at places of interest. Thoroughly recommended.
Only issue at that time of year might be some summer rain when I think the authorities are quick to close it.
I have not been on the Lake King road but there was some talk on here a week or three ago about it being in poor condition.
Enjoy the trip.
AnswerID: 615567

Follow Up By: Member - Rustygq - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:58

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 12:58
Thanks Rocco
Rusty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886591

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 13:01

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 13:01
And if you want to do the tourist thing ...

Brochure
FollowupID: 886593

Follow Up By: new boy - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 15:21

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 15:21
If you can,t print the brochure it can be obtained from the Info centre at either end all sites are clearly marked . The breakaway are awesome you see nothing from the road and wonder what and where is it going but well worth the 1.5 k trip off the main road .
FollowupID: 886599

Follow Up By: Zippo - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 16:25

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 16:25
What Rocco said. We have used it twice as a shortcut between Perth and Norseman - saves some distance and is more interesting than the main drag. Been in good nick both times. Haven't used the Lake King track but from those who have I heard it was not in the same league.

From the Norseman end, the "touristy" route starts about 6km north of town. IMO a more scenic way is departing town off the end of Richardson St and taking the direct way across the salt lake causeway (Mort Harslett Drive). This also gives you the option of the Lake Cowan lookout just west of the lake area. You can see this all with Google maps.
FollowupID: 886602

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 22:46

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 22:46
summer time rain thunderstorms will have this road closed after 10mm or more.

Hefty fines apply if found traversing road when its closed, also bear in mind area is also very prone to bushfires which get started by the lightning strikes.

Will also be fairly hot as well 40+ is possible

lake king road is classified as 4wd nd not maintained per say esp past the farms
FollowupID: 886611

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 23:24

Saturday, Dec 16, 2017 at 23:24
Hi Rusty

The Hyden - Norseman Road is a well maintained road with interesting features. If you would like more details, including the best camp sites, please sent me a Member Message.

In the past the Lake King - Norseman Road has been a good option for us, living in the South West. No so now. I posted this warning on various forum when we returned in September this year.

"A road we have been on a number of times and found reasonable, was a different story this time at the Shire of Esperance side. Looks like it has had no maintenance in years. After a very slow drive for first 14 kilometres, dodging holes and branches, we met another couple who had come the other way. Bush travellers, they had also never seen it so bad. They described washouts ‘this deep’ that they said we would not be able to tow our caravan through. This only applied to the Shire of Esperance side. They said the Shire of Lake Grace side was in top condition and you could travel on it at 100 kph. We went as far as Peak Charles then returned to the highway to go via Esperance, as we started the trip via the Hyden-Norseman Road."
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 615577

Follow Up By: Member - Rustygq - Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 08:48

Sunday, Dec 17, 2017 at 08:48
Thanks very much. Looks like it will be the Norseman / Hyden road then. Im traveling by myself and just want to get there so will take the soft option this time.
Thanks again
Russ

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886620

Reply By: Gazza11 - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 13:37

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 13:37
Guys,

Is it suitable for a caravan?

We are not in a hurry so don't mind dropping to 50kph?

How far is it and how much is gravel?

Thinking of doing it in early April?

I assume there are no towns/fuel etc?

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Gazza
AnswerID: 615616

Follow Up By: Member - PhilD_NT - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 15:12

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 15:12
We did it in August last year towing a 2400kg van with a Ranger. As has been said conditions change if it has rained recently but road is well maintained. We had little dust but were mostly at only 60 kph and joked about it being yellow bitumen. There are no fuel supplies between Hyden and Norseman. Only a couple of small sections that were currently being graded. We didn't even adjust tire pressures and there were a number of vehicles, some 4x4, but also others that were just normal cars. Our low speed was definitely by choice so as to enjoy the drive more. The route can be done in a single day, but why would you if time wasn't limited. Mostly we had the road to ourselves.

We started that day at Kulin and camped the first night at Forrestania Plots. One other camper just arrived as we pulled in in a small van that he had modified himself for camping. He was an elderly gent who apparently makes the trip across from Vic to Perth twice a year to see family and if this road is open he takes it. He said that the only traffic lights from home to edge of Perth were all at Pt Augusta.

Second night we stayed at the Breakaways and then at McDermid Rock. We almost then stayed at Lake Johnson that would have been just walking distance for the day but decided that at that rate getting across to SA was going to take weeks. We did then climb Disappointment Rock and pushed on, slowly, to Lake Cowan Lookout across from Norseman and as there were no signs then that camping wasn't allowed we had a great sunset and sunrise view of the Lake by ourselves. Shame it's now not allowed to camp there.
If the road is open it's a great trip with plenty to see and we would happily do it again. We did most of the walks at each place along the way. Disappointment Rock was the only place that I wouldn't try taking a van in to again as it has limited manoeuvring room if someone else already there and there wasn't anywhere to park out by the road.

We did stay extra time at the great Kulin free camp in the middle of town and 5 days touring around the area after moving in to their low cost but excellent facilities at their Caravan Park. We had to wait for the road to be declared open by both the Kondinin and Dundas Shire Councils that control it. Kondinin said their side was open but Dundas (Norseman) said closed. Finally rang Dundas and they apologised for not updating it for a few days. Not a problem as we were enjoying the Kulin region, especially things like the Tin Horse Highway. A very friendly town.

Kulin, for those that don't know it, have a 3 day free gravelled rest area in the centre of town next to the Shire Office and across from the Hotel. There's toilet, shower and dump point next to you and they just ask that you leave any receipts in a box there to show them how worthwhile it is to caravaners. Their Caravan Pk is just a short stroll away with 11 bays, some drive through, and all with slabs. You have power, water, laundry and a demountable with 4 combination shower, toilet and wash basin cubicles. If there's only 4 campers there then you each have one cubicle to yourselves. Contact is through the Caretaker with signage of the details. Payment is a case of for the first 5 days you pay what you think it's worth, which seems to be generally $25. After 5 days the Council has set the rate. Very well kept facilities and very friendly locals. Speak to the Shire Office people and you may even be able to get a large sticker to put on your van advertising their town and the Tin Horse Hwy and be an Ambassador for them.
FollowupID: 886689

Sponsored Links