Thanks for the heads-up, Ozi.

Ford has issued similar for the Ranger. Link
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615625

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 17:51

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 17:51
Hence the reason I tracked down last years NON DPF Model Dmax when I bought a new 4wd a few months back.
DPF equipped vehicles have been banned from some grassland re-veg projects for some time now with good reason.
Which engineering genius thought of the idea to put them on your average 4wd in particular underneath the car! Not to mention the exposed sensor wires just waiting to be ripped off by debris picked up by the wheels.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 615626

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 19:48

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 19:48
So does long grass catching fire after getting caught next to a hot exhaust only happen to BT 50's and Ranger's ??????????????????
AnswerID: 615628

Follow Up By: Member - Wildmax - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 23:06

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 23:06
No it doesn't just apply to BT50s and Rangers - mate lost a brand new Prado to a spinifex fire on our trip down the Canning earlier this year.
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 886706

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 23:18

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 23:18
Spinifex fires are one thing, and have been a problem since whenever. I did a trip outback years ago with some guys in a petrol Prado and there was this plate underneath that just mowed the spinifex and trapped it next to the cat converter. They stopped every half hour to clean it out.

This is about the design and operation of the DPF and it is obviously different and a big enough problem for Ford and Mazda to recall tens of thousands of utes to fix it.

Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

A friend knows of one Ranger that went up in a paddock in what sounds like the circumstances described elsewhere here. The car was left idling and unattended and it seems the DPF decided it was time for a burn and up it went.

FollowupID: 886707

Reply By: Hoyks - Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 20:44

Wednesday, Dec 20, 2017 at 20:44
It happens when the computer detects that the DPF is getting blocked and it needs to do a regeneration burn.

If it was a catalytic converter then it would only get hot when the vehicle is being worked hard and the cat gets hot as a result, so you can work around that.

The regeneration burn can happen when the computer thinks it is a good idea.

Simple scenario that is common on any farm: At idle when the exhaust gases from a normal vehicle would be relatively cool, you park and leave the vehicle running and the air con on while you open a gate, check a fence/ duck down into a gully/ working on machinery.
Computer detects that the DPF is clogging up from the low speed work, so it initiates a burn. DPF gets close to red hot and grass under the vehicle ignites.
AnswerID: 615630

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Dec 21, 2017 at 16:16

Thursday, Dec 21, 2017 at 16:16
A recall to check for grass etc around the DPF, and clear if so :/

If people owning these vehicles (BT50, Ranger, Prado, many other makes / models no doubt) can't find their DPF and be prepared to take a look, then there is very minimal chance they will have anything tucked around there to find !!

In desert and dune country, checking for spinifex and such grasses is at least a daily task, often at each break a quick look sees something to clear off bash plates, cross members, lower radiator / intercoolers etc.

Of course just an exhaust touching tinder dry grass can set it off, so not sure how that can be solved apart from driver knowledge gained through experience / other 4WDrs etc.
Maybe this is one good thing that could come from such recalls, possibly some drivers might remember it when they venture past roads and formed tracks.
AnswerID: 615645

Reply By: rob c - Friday, Dec 22, 2017 at 01:17

Friday, Dec 22, 2017 at 01:17
This was an issue with the Ford Raiders and mazda utes back in the early 90s, it was written in the manual not to park in long grass.
AnswerID: 615655

Sponsored Links