Tattersalls Hotel gone.

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 26, 2017 at 12:23
ThreadID: 136019 Views:3160 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
The iconic Tattersalls Hotel in Barringun has been destroyed by fire.

Quoted from Adam Crawley on facebook

At about 3am this morning the Crawley family got a phone call we never expected to receive. Last night, Tattersalls Hotel, our beloved home burnt to the ground, leaving nothing but a smoldering mess of iron and ash and depriving the district of its hub. Half a century of memories, good times, bad times, exceptional yarns, wild nights and priceless history demolished in the blink of an eye. Even though we settled on the sale of the pub two weeks ago and were not longer technically the owners, it’s still completely devastating for all of us and despite how stupid it sounds it’s a feeling similar to loosing a family member. That place looked after us, sheltered us through the worst storms, the hottest days, the most dangerous bushfires, biggest floods, longest droughts, thick and thin. It always looked after us and we always looked after it. The matriarch always maintained that we never owned the pub, we were just looking after it and it’s hard to not feel like we failed slightly. A lot of people have been worried about her, she’s understandably very sad and in true Mary style she’s not just sad for herself and the family but she’s sad for the new owners and she’s very sad and worried for the community and her beloved locals, a true publican till the end, she shares a bond with those locals that other people probably wouldn’t understand. In saying that she’s typically staunch and will be ok. We were so looking forward to visiting our old mate for the rest of our lives, we knew we wouldn’t last forever, but we thought the pub would. When we said goodbye to our old mate we thought it would be us that wouldn’t make it back, not him throwing the towel in. Maybe he finally decided he’d given enough. Vale Tattersalls. Never to be forgotten by anyone who met you.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Tuesday, Dec 26, 2017 at 12:46

Tuesday, Dec 26, 2017 at 12:46
Err, shouldn't that be "Barringun"?

Anyway, it is bad news indeed.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615712

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Tuesday, Dec 26, 2017 at 13:32

Tuesday, Dec 26, 2017 at 13:32
Yep. But I cant edit it
FollowupID: 886758

Reply By: qldcamper - Tuesday, Dec 26, 2017 at 16:02

Tuesday, Dec 26, 2017 at 16:02
Seems he has never lost a close family member, if he has I am glad I am not related to him, good to know he knew it was a stupid statement to make.
AnswerID: 615713

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Dec 28, 2017 at 19:21

Thursday, Dec 28, 2017 at 19:21
I understood Adam as saying, in his own way, that it was an analogous situation - both involve grieving for what has been lost with all the associations, the good and the not so good, memories of events and people, emotions and so on.

Same process grieving, different focus.

Probably many people on this forum would have memories of the hotel, but clearly not as deeply felt. Maybe you never called in there and have no empathy for the place nor the people involved..

Cheers
Andrew

FollowupID: 886791

Reply By: GarryR - Friday, Dec 29, 2017 at 06:15

Friday, Dec 29, 2017 at 06:15
I am glad I visited the old pub and had a chat to Mary only last September. That was a great watering hole on the way past in several trips. Sad to see it go, but the memories will last a very long time. It is also a shame for the new owners.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 615750

Follow Up By: mike39 - Friday, Dec 29, 2017 at 08:09

Friday, Dec 29, 2017 at 08:09
In 1981 I was cook for a Bathurst shearing contactor. Three months work, all down and on both sides of the Macquarie river.
Our last shed was near Barringun and hit the pub for the cut out party.
Drank the pub dry in a day and a half.

Jack the contactor brought a sheep carcase in to help with the tucker but his bait layer never went near the kitchen.

Sad that its gone, far too many of those old iconic bush pubs up in flames.
Then mostly replaced by completely out of character and soulless, flat roofed brick sheds.
mike
FollowupID: 886805

Follow Up By: Member - abqaiq - Friday, Dec 29, 2017 at 16:34

Friday, Dec 29, 2017 at 16:34
We went through there last year on our sign the Outback Pubs book crawl.. Glad Mary could sign our book. Real sad to see these landmarks pass. Fortunately no one was injured, but the scene and comradely surely has changed ...not for the better.
FollowupID: 886838

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 22:23

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 22:23
I stopped there 2 or 3 times, back when the bitumen, on the NSW side, stopped at the border. Can vaguely remember Mary, she would have served me a coldie.

In latter years, when the highway was all bitumen, doubt that we ever stopped. In too big a hurry to get "there", and the risk of the inevitable RBT.

Sad to lose such a special building.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 887036

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Friday, Dec 29, 2017 at 11:08

Friday, Dec 29, 2017 at 11:08
AnswerID: 615763

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 20:52

Wednesday, Jan 03, 2018 at 20:52
Had a lovely chat and a cuppa with Mary on the way back from Birdsville.
Delightful lady with all her faculties!
Turns out her family built Monte Cristo, the "haunted house" in Junee in NSW
Michael O

AnswerID: 615890

Sponsored Links