Sleeping Bags - Recommendations

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:38
ThreadID: 13603 Views:7229 Replies:11 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Any one got any recommendations for sleeping bags.

Looking for something that is warm, I am feeling the cold in my old age.

Have heard good things about Snugpaks - does anyone have one of these
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:46

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:46
This is SOOOOOOOO hard.

Bags seem to have ratings that seem, well, over exageratted to say the least.

All depends on how your metabolic rate is, what your hydration rate is, have you just eaten, have you been drinking.........

In my swag I have the following........

Mattress

5 degree bag.

-5 degree bag inside the above bag.

carribee 10 degree liner between the 2 bags.

Depending on the night, I just hop between what I reckon I will need....... like 3 choices.

I hate mummy bags, I like to have heaps of room.

Go to Snowy's or Great Outdoors, or someone, and ask heaps of questions, do some searches on the net, then jump in and try........ I wish there was ONE bag to do all......... maybe one day.......
AnswerID: 62324

Reply By: Jeff (Beddo) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:58

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 19:58
The options are endless - you can get the ultra lite compact ones that perfect for the bushwalker who wants to save space - you'll pay up around $300+ or you can go for the cheaper ones which are warm but heavier and less compact. If you are doing a lot of winter stuff I would go for something that goes below zero degrees - I just bought a Coleman Big Foot (comfort zone -5 degrees) for my swag. These sleeping bags cost around $130. Otherwise if you want an all purpose go for something around the zero degrees mark. Sleeping bags have all types of options - the ones with hoods are good to keep the warmth in; the ones which are rectangular are good as some you can join together to make a double; some have cotton inners others have synthetic - it is a perferance thing - I like the cotton inner. If you are going into the cold stuff then perhaps you should look at thermal underwear - the best ones are ones made by Zone - worth a bit around $70 for the tops and $70 for the bottoms. When purchasing a sleeping bag crawl inside them to ensure you have enough room around your shoulders to twist about in and also CHECK the ZIPPERS out that they work efficiently and don't get stuck with material all the time - most frustrating when you have had one too many beers and need to go during the night.
Sorry have not heard of Snugpaks.
AnswerID: 62328

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:03

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 20:03
Adelaidetaff,
I am on to my second Roman sleeping bag. They are great. I went for the "Big Man Hood". It has plenty of room to move around inside, very warm and they can be zipped to another Roman sleeping bag. They are also Australian made and don't cost an arm and a leg.
The first Roman bag I had I wore it out in about 7 years, but it did get used a lot.

Wayne
AnswerID: 62332

Follow Up By: Spanner - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 23:09
I've got one of these too. Great bag. I've slept outside on a stretcher and woken up in the morning with ice on the outside of the bag and felt very warm and snug. I have a theory that the less clothing you have on in the bag the better. I've seen people get in bags with 2 and 3 layers of clothing on and complain of the cold all night. A pair of jocks does me fine.

Cheers
FollowupID: 323686

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 06:28

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 06:28
Spanner it must have been a good blu with the wife if she made you sleep out side under those conditions.

All the best
Eric
FollowupID: 323697

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:18

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:18
We also have romans -5 bags, sometimes gets too warm for me but Lex is cold sencitive & loves hers
FollowupID: 323766

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:10
G'day

All this sleeping stuff is strictly personal.
What works for me may be uselss for you.
Ahyhow, here's what I do:

1. I can't stand sleeping bags. too constrictive. can't control temps easy enough. What if you want just a light cover over the shoulders at 4 to 6 am on a hot summers night? if u use a beeping slag (!) you will come out lightly broiled.

2. On top of swag mattress, I use a fitted sheepskin under blanket.
Then a normal sheet.
Lie on that sheet.
Use one more sheet on top of you.
Just like a bed, isn't it?
Then on top the sheet, a doona that can be fluffed up or a doona that can get the down to go to the foot by shaking it. Temp control is good this way.

Anticipate a cold night?
Bulk the doona up.
You won't get twisted in the bed clothes as you move throughout the night, any more than you do at home, un-like a beeping slag.

Anticipate a hot night?
Chuck the doona off into the foot of your swag, or even put it in the car overnight, out of the way. Just use the sheet.

Tip:
Always roll your swag up when you are not in it, as you never know what crawly nasties may get in there without your knowledge.

Alternate to doona: 3-4 blankets

P.S. this has only worked for me for 31 years of using my swag. Just got a newby swag last year - after 29 years the old swag's tarp was full of tiny holes. Pity, it was like that great, comfy pair of jeans that you wish would last for ever, but really need chucking out.

Cheers

AnswerID: 62349

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:19

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 21:19
I'd recomend a -5 dacron synthetic bag for general 4x4 use. ($100 to $150) Features to look for are a quality zip, draft tube over the zip & around the collar,
a hood & box wall construction. (not sewn through) Use a silk or cotten inner to keep the bag clean. Bags with a -8 or -10 rating are almost unusable in the warmer months and if you feel the cold in winter wear a beannie to bed.
Down bags are lighter, pack smaller and are often warmer but are totally useless when wet. Cheers Craig................
AnswerID: 62352

Reply By: Vinnie - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:04

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:04
Adelaidetaff
I can recomend body heat, my snugpak is SWMBO but only when I am required!!
Other than that we got 2 Roman singles rated 10 that can zip to a double, very cozy & warm on the colder nights.
AnswerID: 62360

Reply By: Vinnie - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:05

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:05
Adelaidetaff
I can recomend body heat, my snugpak is SWMBO but only when I am required!!
Other than that we got 2 Roman singles rated 10 that can zip to a double, very cozy & warm on the colder nights.
AnswerID: 62362

Reply By: flashnick - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:58

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2004 at 22:58
If you are into 4wdriving where most accessories cost you a grand - why skimp on your comfort. Go and find a Fairydown Cobra sleeping bag - it is 100% goose down - really rated to -7 degrees - can still be used in warmer weather (I live in Qld and we use ours frequently - just dont zip it up all the way.
It ll cost you $4-500 depending on your negotiating skills but you will never fear a cool change.

yet another opinion
cheers

Nick
AnswerID: 62365

Reply By: Shawn - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:18

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:18
Mate,
Softie III, very small and very warm, but you will pay for it. Suppose if you want something good you do have to pay.
Cheers
Shawn
AnswerID: 62381

Reply By: The Banjo - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:52

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 08:52
We bought some zip together jobs at Camping World Jetty Rd Glenenlg.
They were about $90 each. Rated about 0-5 degs I think.
Bloody brilliant - use them inside a camper - have yet to try them in snow but have used them in a good frost with no trouble. IMO, an issue just as important as warmth is to get a bag set up that has plenty of room - go for the widest size - you can move, stretch and still stay warm - handy for 'other' activities too (probably ..... should that ever happen:o)
AnswerID: 62384

Reply By: Adelaidetaff - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:40

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:40
Thanks for all the replies.

Body heat is only provided by the girlfriend and she is more a five star type of accommodation girl. I would only snuggle up to my mates that I go camping with if I was on the point of death and maybe even death would be preferable.

I am really looking for something that is really warm. I use the thickest quilt you can imagine in the house and that includes throughtout the Adelaide summer.

I had a North Face bag(bought in the USA) which was rated to -40F but Qantas managed to loose it on the way back from New Zealand. I cannot find anywhere that sells these bags in Adelaide and they want to charge me $70US postage to send one from the US.
AnswerID: 62471

Follow Up By: Brad - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:48

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:48
North Face is seriously good (and expensive ) stuff.
Have a look at Mont
http://mont.com.au/
..aussie stuff, very good, very good after sales service
cya
Brad.
FollowupID: 323778

Follow Up By: Adelaidetaff - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:04

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:04
Thanks Brad

Mont looks good and they have retailers in Adelaide, I will go and have a look at these on the weekend
FollowupID: 323795

Sponsored Links