Mt Pinnibar Track - Vic High Country

Hi All,
Hoping for some advice from VHC regulars ..

I'm looking for an alternative to Davies Plain Tk as it's northern part is closed. Have sussed out Tom Groggin Tk/Mt Hope Rd and all good, but reports are it's a bit tame.

For a bit more of a challenge, what is the route shown in blue like? Driving a 2017 lifted Ford Everest with Mud Terrain 33s and a lifted 2014 BT50 with part worn BFG ATs (31s, I guess), winch and recovery gear but no armour, sliders or bar work. Pinstriping is not us either - yeah, I know, pussies, but that's how it it :-)

Thanks in advance

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 20:03

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 20:03
Hullo Frank

Admittedly a few years ago (3?), a group of us went SW along the Tom Groggin Tk as far as where you have your blue line coming back on to it, then NW and N back along the Mt Anderson Tk to Mt Pinnnibar and then on to the Benambra - Corryong Rd via Gibsons Hut.

Why didn't we go up the Mt Pinnibar Tk from Tom Groggin? Because the leader of the group had sussed it out before hand and could get up it in a 79 Series Toyota ute with twin diff locks and all the fruit!

That track (Mt Pinnibar from the NE varies greatly in condition. But at the best of times many people tend to use it for going down rather than up LOL.
IMHO, the Ford Everest would struggle (to put it mildly)

Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 616114

Follow Up By: Gronk - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 20:31

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 20:31
Approx 5 yrs ago, the drive up to Mt Pinnibar from Tom Groggin campground was pretty easy. An almost stock Challenger and an almost stock Prado had no trouble.
We came back the same way, so can't comment on the track past Mt Pinnibar, but I'd say the Everest would have no problems !
FollowupID: 887397

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 21:14

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 21:14
I did Tom Groggin to the top of Mt Pinnibar in a Land Rover Freelander 2 which doesn't even have low range. There was a Discovery 4 stuck half way up but he had been washed almost off the track by a truly massive storm the night before and was sitting precariously on the edge of the track in a big rut in danger of rolling. We pulled him back on to the track and all went on our merry way. It's steep in places but I don't rate it hard at all. The track down to the Corryong road was ultra steep with a lot of erosion humps, my mate was crapping himself on that one, but again a fairly standard car didn't have an issue with it.
FollowupID: 887399

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 21:49

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 21:49
Thanks guys.

I've done a bit of steep stuff in my BT50 - Merricumbene in Deua NP, NSW and Billy Goats in VHC and a few bits here and there whose names I can't recall.

Steep tracks and drainage humps are ok. With my BT's rear overhang and no sliders or armour it's big rock steps that worry me most - and steep wet clay :-( (Does anyone enjoy that?)

We're not towing so I guess we can go have a look and if worse comes to worse, back out to a turn-around and retreat. I've done that before!!

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 887400

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2018 at 13:10

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2018 at 13:10
That is good news. Like any road in that area, conditions can change dramatically after bad weather or maintenance.
FollowupID: 887410

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2018 at 13:33

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2018 at 13:33
Yes parts of the ascent are clay so would be a different kettle of fish if it was wet. As I said, the Disco 4 came to grief the night before because the track was a torrent of water and slippery as hell. He was going up just before dusk to see the sunset and ended up being stuck there all night until we came along at around 11am. By then the track was ok again as it was summer and quite quick to dry out.
FollowupID: 887411

Sponsored Links