Dash Cameras

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 09:55
ThreadID: 136108 Views:2938 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at getting a Dash Cam with possibly a rear camera as well for my 76 Series Land Cruiser. I spend a lot of time off road on rough tracks and corrugations so I'm after ideas on what the best brand and model is to get.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob A2 - Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:49

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:49
If you tow, we have an AOR Q+ then the following may be of interest.

We have a Garmin Drive Assist 51 which has an inbuilt dash camera as well as the ability to hook up a wi-fi camera to either the rear of your 4WD and/or camper. As our tow car already has a reversing camera we fitted the wi-fi camera to the Q+ and it works perfectly. Yes it can handle heaps of corrugations and rough outback roads. Also water resistant and dust proof. You can set this camera up to be on all the time or via reversing wire pulse. Very handy and a cost effective setup for us as it has not wires to the camper to start with

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616149

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 18:45

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 18:45
Same GPS here, inbuilt dashcam & the wireless rear camera works very well. I also tow a either Q or Tvan but opted not to bother with a camera on the camper, even though the I believe the GPS can handle up to 3 additional wireless cameras.

FollowupID: 887451

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 21:37

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 21:37
Maybe check out Dashcams Australia website, they have their 2018 recommendations LINK HERE Check out their shop for pricing to suit your budget
AnswerID: 616154

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 23:00

Wednesday, Jan 17, 2018 at 23:00
Paul, Choice did a review of dash cams that was very comprehensive. A link here; CHOICE - Dash cams

I have a 79 series so I can tell you that anything mounted in the cab is going to have a fair bit of vibration coming through it. The 76/78/79 suspension setups are all fairly agricultural compared to their more affluent cousins (100/105/200 etc) which is reflected in the vibration in the cabs and therefor the quality of the video. Inbuilt stability functionality in the camera needs to be a major consideration.

I'll probably fit the Choice recommended Dash cam unit myself which was a DOD-LS470W unit. It uses a Sony Exmor sensor which from previous experience is excellent (I own both Sony DSLR and video camera within the media arsenal) . It also has full GPS capability.

Cheers and safe travels for 2018.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616157

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 09:24

Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 09:24
I'm interested in a reversing camera, how reliable are the wifi units these days? And whats a recommended brand as a stand alone unit?
TIA

Phil
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616162

Follow Up By: RobAck - Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 13:03

Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 13:03
Per my post above the wi-fi on our Garmin unit has been excellent. Particularly given the camera is 11m or so behind me. But the camera cable is around 12m long and has a transceiver on the end which lives on the drawer bar. So the signal just has to travel through the back door, cargo barrier and passenger compartment to the antenna behind the Garmin on the dash. No problem at all

Rob
FollowupID: 887459

Reply By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 17:06

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 17:06
Most suggest the blackvue, but only if your prepared to pay a tidy some for it.

Been running a navman variant front only for little while (1-2 years) and so far haven't faulted it, only issue i do have is the G force sensitivity - if i thump through a rut or pot hole along a gravel or even bitumen road it will automatically save this impact to the emergency file storage section and set of a alarm in process

Rear view cameras as per looking at a dvd tv or laptop whilst driving considered illegal in WA. Reverse cameras whihc turn off automatically however are ok
AnswerID: 616244

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Jan 30, 2018 at 14:27

Tuesday, Jan 30, 2018 at 14:27
One thing I forgot to add is the Garmin Drive Assist 51 has a lot more features than I have managed to use yet. For example like most car reversing cameras it can be setup with reversing guide lines which are a great help either just with a car and/or the camper on the back and as our car has a reversing camera already fitted it was the key reason for selecting the Garmin 51

One more well hidden feature is it actually has some really handy too maps built in as well. So time spent reading the manual and having a bit of a play with the features and settings will prove rewarding

Rob
AnswerID: 616509

Reply By: Paul S - Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 15:52

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 at 15:52
Thanks to all the replies that were sent in regarding Dash Cams. I've decided to forget about the rear camera and just go with a forward facing model. The Choice review was very helpful and so was the link to Dash Cams Australia. I will let you know which one I get and I'll report back on it's performance.
AnswerID: 617309

Sponsored Links