Joolca and Coleman HWOD

Submitted: Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:26
ThreadID: 136121 Views:4795 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone purchased either a Joolca or Coleman Hot Water On Demand portable hot water systems.

I like the look of the Australian Joolca but would like comments from those who may have used either. Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:44

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 12:44
Left of Field CP had Joolca units with Joolca twin compartment shower tents last time we were there. Once set up they are just the same as the instant gas water heaters you have at home. You just dial up the water temperature you desire and all's well with the world. I can't compare them with other units. The main difference between them that I can see is you need a pole or a wall to mount the Joolca on.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616208

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 13:36

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 13:36
I had a Coleman HWOD, a RED one and it's battery immediately failed. Would not hold charge for more than 1 1/2 days. Useless!

I returned it and upgraded to a SILVER HWOD. It's 240 charger burnt out shortly after charging the battery for the second time and by touching the 12v plug end you could get a 240v tingle even though the plug pack wouldn't work.
It was replaced, eventually, not promptly at all. Strange to deal with the company.
No report of the 240 at the 12v terminal plug was received by me, Coleman kept quiet about that fault. I wonder why????
The Silver HWOD works ok but is a bit fiddley to set and get the temp you desire.

The HWOD has 4 rubber feet and they come out of the case bottom with the slightest of sideways scrubbing when moving the unit or catching it on the top of the box while unpacking. Whoever designed that was drunk, whoever accepted the design as production requires retraining. After first use I had two feet left of the 4.
Coleman trade on the name and don't seem to have a quality assurance program in China for their production. Cheeeeep.
I have sort of gone off buying Coleman products and feel good about it too.

I would not buy one again and have read reports of Joolca being far better.
FollowupID: 887483

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 13:48

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 13:48
You can control the Joolca from the shower head.
Turn off the water and the gas turns off.

Can't do that with the Coleman, have to go to the unit and shut it down..
FollowupID: 887485

Reply By: Sir Kev - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 14:20

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 14:20
I have both and have also had the Country Comfort version of the Joolca.

Coleman HWOD makes a great boat anchor, it has battery charging issues and needs to be fiddled with constantly to adjust water temp and need access to main unit to shut off.

Joolca - is just like a home version. The use of the quick connection fittings make it very easy to use. I use it in the Snowy Mountains (KNP) and use the supplied 12v pump to draw directly from the creeks. Water temp of creeks gets as low as 10 degree's. Heats to 40+ degrees easily. Shower head supplied is good with a long hose length. I do find that the gas blows out if not in a protected area from wind, which give you a bit of a shock when using water drawn from a cold creek.

Country Comfort - As per the Joolca, but I didn't have the quick connections so slightly longer to set up. It did work better in wind also.

So If I had the reason to buy another I would get a Country Comfort and use the quick connections used in the Joolca version.

I binned the Coleman HWOD and sold my complete Shower Set Up to a Horse Trek Company (Country Comfort with Shower Marquee) this time last year, I now use the Joolca with another Shower Marquee.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616212

Follow Up By: gbc - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 16:00

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 16:00
Another happy country comfort owner here. They are Australian people who can answer a phone and do business. Ask about an extended shower hose and an easy squeeze shower head too. A cheap and worthwhile upgrade imho.
FollowupID: 887492

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 17:25

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 17:25
Kev.
I think you are wrong. The COLEMAN HWOD is not a good boat anchor at all.
It has no features or sharp edges to grab the bottom of the ocean/lake and because it is relatively light it will just drag across the bottom and allow drift from that fishing spot.

Further to the negative aspects, the gas bottles used to be around $9 and suddenly during '17 they went to $12. Only a small 25% increase in one hit. Good on you Coleman.

The only good aspect is the empty gas bottles can be used ( with some mods) as a air pressure vessel with a 4wd compressor to augment supply.

The gas contents also varies quite a bit in unused bottles, I suspect Coleman is winning there too. I weighed some and they aren't near to the same.

My Motto is, If it is Coleman, WALK ON.
FollowupID: 887495

Follow Up By: Sir Kev - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 18:43

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 18:43
RMD,

I only have a small boat ;)
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887499

Reply By: Member - nick b boab - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 14:28

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 14:28
There are lots of the joolca type of hot water units branded with different names
I got mine at a camp show & gave me free water pump , well under $ 300 .
they work quite well but not the same quality of your home unit IMO
turn up or down the heat to suit very easterly
i;m very happy with mine
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 616213

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 16:35

Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 16:35
I have had the Joolca HWU and shower tent for 12 months now.
If I don't go camping I use it in the shed for hot water, so basically it is being used all the time.
I cannot fault it, great unit and excellent support service. (i'm not an agent for them).
The only minor down side is the water supply, ok if you are next to a creek or river.
If you are only stopping overnight as you are travelling, and you rely on your own water supply, it tends to use up around 5-10 litres to get the water temperature adjusted,
However, you remain at the same camp spot for more than a day this will go down to 1-2 litres if you leave the HW controls at the same setting.
Hope this helps, Cheers
AnswerID: 616218

Sponsored Links