Cape York early June 2018

Submitted: Friday, Jan 19, 2018 at 23:36
ThreadID: 136125 Views:2784 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
Cape York, we're finally doing it :)
Departing Adelaide, booked in at Port Douglas for weekend of 26th May then onto Cooktown via Bloomfield if open. After that its unknown territory for us. Possibly get as far as Bramwell around 3rd June.
So if you're up that way and see a white Isuzu Dmax with canopy, bullbar etc towing a camper trailer be sure to give us a wave :)
Cheers
Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 18:54

Saturday, Jan 20, 2018 at 18:54
You will enjoy FNQ and the Cape, the Bloomfield is pretty well all weather now, although some steep sections, where the haveput down concrete. There is also a new bridge over the old causeway just as you come into Wujal Wujal. It is certainly worth calling in for a day or 2 at Eddies, whick is through Hopevale.
AnswerID: 616246

Reply By: TonySA - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 16:10

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 16:10
Just got to figure out how much i need to change on the stock dmax for the trip. Snorkel and bullbar a given, possibly a winch going it solo but do i really need to change suspension as well ? Missus isnt keen on a lift, has difficulty with the Max as it is. Not planning any hard core OTT stuff, dont want to damage the Max but will the stock stuff hold out I wonder. Tyres Bridgestone 693's not ideal but probably ok. Would like some Toyo 10 ply's but for a couple grand for 6 ? Maybe better on the suspension ?
Any thoughts ?

AnswerID: 616267

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 18:34

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 18:34
Hi Tony

If you are doing the main travelled roads, you are not going to need a winch, and if it is wet and muddy, sit tight and do not cut the tracks up.

As for the Toyo Tyres, what tyre are you looking at, the A/T 2 or the M/T ?

If it is the A/T 2 it should cost no more that $1440 for the 6 new tyres, or even cheaper.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 887602

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 19:06

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 19:06
To give an idea of what the Developmental Road is like seeing you aren't planning on driving the OTT...we drove 2wd sedans to The Tip about 20 years ago on an Endevour Car Rally, gotta think it's a much easier road to drive these days (not that it was that bad back then other then the corrugations and some nasty washouts to avoid).
The snorkel you plan to fit will be handy / cheap insurance on some water crossings (like when going into Twin Falls for example), always good to have decent rubber on the rims aswell IMO, the suspension if already up to the task of carrying your canopy and campers weight shouldn't be a major issue if you drive to the conditions.
AnswerID: 616274

Reply By: TonySA - Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 21:10

Sunday, Jan 21, 2018 at 21:10
thanks for the feedback, appreciated.
ok so we skip the winch, less weight up front, just make sure i have some sturdy recovery points.
If I change the tyres theyd be all terrains someone was suggesting 265x75's in 10 ply.' I was planning taking an extra spare.
Hope the stock suspension will be ok. Should be ok for camper of 1.5T, hell the thing is rated to tow 3.5t. I'll speak to the dealer, see what they reckon.

AnswerID: 616278

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:00

Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:00
Tony, Make sure your new tyres are stamped LT (Light Truck). They generally have a stronger carcass and will stand up to more punishment than heavy duty or commercial tyres.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 887619

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:44

Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 10:44
You won't know about the stock suspension until you actually see the road condition.
I've driven up there where the OTT was significantly nicer to drive on rather than the PDR which was unbelievably corrugated and holed (end of season). Destroyed a couple of Bilstein shocks on it.

If you aren't doing the OTT then you may get away without a lift but I'm guessing you will still want to cross a few rivers to get to places like FruitBat Falls.
If the rivers are up then you want some lift to help keep your feet dry.
If the roads are badly corrugated then your standard shocks will likely overheat and do little to help your ride or tires. Stop often and let them cool down again.

Make sure you have spare trailer wheel bearings and grease with you. Quite common to seize a bearing on a trailer.

AnswerID: 616287

Follow Up By: TonySA - Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 19:22

Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 19:22
once again, really appreciate the info, wheel bearings and grease is a good idea :)
probably end up getting the aftermarket shocks etc, someone mentioned dobinson springs and bilstein shocks. couple of months to get everything fitted and tested. its only money and you cant take it with you when you die LOL
cheers
tony
FollowupID: 887632

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 22:02

Monday, Jan 22, 2018 at 22:02
Tony
I went through the same dilemma a few years ago. If you stick to the PDR you won't need suspension modifications, snorkel or winch. You won't need a snorkel to get to Fruit Bat falls, maybe Elliot Falls. I valued my vehicle too much to do the OTT, others would say you haven't done the Cape if you didn't do the OTT.
Just make sure your tyres and shock absorbers (struts) are up to it and that includes your camper trailer.
If they are getting towards the end of their life, replace them before you go. Watch out for the idiots who think it's the Dakkar Rally (coming around corners too fast on the wrong side of the road)

We found northern SA Dirt roads far worse than the PDR in July.

Mark
AnswerID: 616301

Sponsored Links