Quick easy food ideas`

Hi Everyone, we are planning a 6 week road trip leaving July this year. we will be doing some big days driving and was wondering what others do for a quick breaky or lunch on the road. we can do Sandwiches and rolls etc for lunch and normally grab some breakfast Biscuits or similar for a quick morning feed but 6 weeks of this may get a bit boring. looking for some variety and easy, tasty ideas.

Thank you,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b boab - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:16

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:16
G,day Nelly : for those big day drives we do pre cook meals freeze before leaving home , aswel use the supermarket types when on the road .
lunch & breakfast are pretty simple on the road as you know .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 616305

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:10

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:10
Thanks Nickb!
FollowupID: 887667

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:20
Mate, get an oven !
Either the $ travel buddy, or the more econ types . . .
12V Portable Stove

This might be short lid one . . . haven't seen low lids around for years though, migth be representative pic only.
Oven - Low lid ?

I have high lid one, great for 2 frozen meals (foil trays) and one rice, rotate in the arvo every 1.5 hrs, all ready to eat for dinner.
Also for pastry items for lunches :)

I usually do them from semi frozen, put in fridge cool (-1) previous night t othaw a bit, but can put them in frozen too.

If just for lunches, the short lid would be ideal for pies / pasties etc for lunch, just put them in for 3/4hr, turn, another 1/2hr, perfect.
(I think my high lid is a bit of a waste of space for the couple of bakery items.)

I leave lid cracked open on the bakery stuff, and use baking paper underneath, comes out so crispy, but be careful, HOT.

The high lid is a bit hotter than the low lid normally 150c vs 140c.

Other enjoyable quick lunches we have . . .
Any dry cracker type bics (Premium / Vitawheat) with flavoured tunas / salmon small tins.
Similar bics with simple meats and cheese spreads.

Planning similar trip for 5 states mid year, I just do a spreadsheet menu and mix things up to keep it interesting.

Enjoy your trip and planning.

AnswerID: 616306

Follow Up By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:31

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:31
SuperCheap do a slightly better one now and then (not currently though).
https://www.exploroz.com/forum/105202/better-12v-camping-stove

Has a heating element top and bottom so cooks a bit better. We take this on every trip and have something cooked by lunchtime.
FollowupID: 887641

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 17:37

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 17:37
Seems to be no more Robin.
FollowupID: 887649

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:09

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:09
Thanks for all the info. we live in a great forum here where there is always heaps of useful advice. much appreciated.
FollowupID: 887666

Reply By: birdnerd - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:51

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 11:51
Hi Nelly,
I usually make a lot of frozen meals that we can just reheat for dinner after a long days drive . Just remember to put in the fridge the night before. I use the foil containers with the cardboard lids, this seems to work ok and then you can just throw them away. Then we use them for the "run home" as these are just overnight stops usually.
Breakfast is normally museli and fruit, for lunch we find a shady spot to stop and make a wrap with ham and salad etc or tuna and avocado with cruskits or corn thins. We have a box in the car with a chopping board, knife, spoon, cups, tea bags and coffee ready to go. Sometimes if we are in a large town we will grab McDonalds for breakfast or if we find a nice bakery have a pie for a treat and to mix things up a bit! (and to grab a real coffee of course)
AnswerID: 616310

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:08

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:08
We do the Frozen meal thing too, and usually cryovac them flat so they stack like flat bricks in the bottom of the fridge and cover with newspaper so they stay frozen for ages. love the simple box in the car idea. Thanks heaps.
FollowupID: 887665

Reply By: Member - sparra - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:59

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 12:59
I usually cook a corned Silverside or Brisket to take with me,good for a lunchtime sanga with cheese and tomato, good for tea also with a bit of salad or cook up some veggies.
Cheers, Sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616311

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:07

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:07
That's a great and simple idea. thanks heaps. we can cook one easy in our Dream Pot while travelling.
FollowupID: 887664

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 13:41

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 13:41
It's actually very easy when you switch your habit of eating breads/carbs for a quick snack with protein and other fresh produce which you can make ahead and keep in fridge for a few days of easy quick snacks which have long fridge life, are nutritious and filling. eg. hard boiled eggs, cold cuts of meat, nuts, tin tuna, rice crackers, block cheese, yoghurt, and whole pieces of fruit eg. oranges, apples, and even hard pieces of vegetables that keep well out of fridge if wrapped in newspaper and stored in a cool, dark place eg. a roller drawer (raw beetroot, raw carrot grated can be spruced up with a chunk of feta cheese and a dash of balsamic vinegar). So easy. I also buy jars of pickled things which then go into fridge once opened. So easy to throw together a plate of fun, tasty, snacks. We also drink plunger coffee using a JetBoil with plunger attachment and we also buy sachets of Miso Soup which are delicious, and very space saving and easy to make with just hot water.

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616312

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:06

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018 at 22:06
Some great ideas, I really appreciate your help.
FollowupID: 887663

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:28

Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:28
In cool weather we find soups are very useful. I make them in the Eco pot and we carry a good mix of tinned red or white beans chickpeas etc, barley, lentils some chicken drumsticks, stewing beef or lamb shanks which take up little fridge or freezer space and create filling tasty soups. Then all we need are whatever veggies we can find - onions, carrots, celery, greens, pumpkin etc and a few herbs and spices. There is no shortage of recipe ideas to try for variety.
If I am very keen I might mix up the soup in the morning before we travel and it cooks easily in the Eco Pot as we drive.. Otherwise I make it on a camp day. One good pot of soup will give us several meals and can easily be refrigerated or frozen so there is always some there when we don't have time or energy to cook lunch or dinner. Lynne
AnswerID: 616374

Follow Up By: Member - nellyjr - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 15:38

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 15:38
Some great ideas here. Thank you for taking the time to reply as a few of these will be added to our to do list for sure.
FollowupID: 887798

Sponsored Links