240V/12V switching how does it work?

Hey all.....I am new to all this stuff so apologies in advance if this is a silly question.....and I did a search of other threads and didn't quite get the answer I am after!

I have a 2008 Pluto Getabout camper that apparently runs off 12V and 240V. What I want to know is how do I make it run off of 12V. It has a battery and charger but there doesn't seem to be a way to switch everything over to 12V.

I did read somewhere that it might have to be connected to the car to make this work? There is is also a series of fuses marked with one saying fridge that are all 12V. These all look good. I have looked around and all the wiring appears original.

Hope someone can help out there!

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 16:24

Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 16:24
In a typical caravan, the 240V runs the battery charger, microwave and the 240V side of a 3 way fridge. The battery will connect to the lighting, radio, TV etc.

It is quiet common to add solar panels which will be connected to the battery via a regulator which will be in parallel to the battery charger.
AnswerID: 616380

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 00:11

Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 00:11
Do your lights and radio work without power connected? They plus some 12 V power points are about all that will work off the battery. It is unlikely that the 240 V power points will work off the battery, you need an inverter installed to do that and campers like yours normally are not equipped with them as a normal battery is not large enough to run them.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 887734

Reply By: Member - Taxi Driver - Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 17:15

Friday, Jan 26, 2018 at 17:15
Hi Clayton
I have a jayco swan and it has a switch adjacent to he fuse box to switch the 12v to active
Brian
AnswerID: 616382

Sponsored Links