Bonang Road

Hello everyone,
I am travelling down to Orbost Vic. next month and I was wondering whether it was possible to take a 20' van down the Bonang Road departing Bombala via Delgate and Bonang to Orbost. The van is built to take almost any conditions (eg Cape York in Sept.) but reading previous posts about the Barry Way, I was concerned about the availability of passing lanes for oncoming traffic. I know it would be quicker taking the bitumen but I was hoping for a more scenic route.
Regards,
Al-one
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: colanjen - Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 22:52

Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 22:52
Hi AI-one,

I have towed my off road van along that road a couple of years ago and had no troubles at all. Yes a bit narrow in places but it doesn't carry a lot of traffic.
I came from the opposite direction, the surface was fine and by memory it was a very pretty drive.

Col.
AnswerID: 616412

Reply By: Member - reggy 2 (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 23:00

Saturday, Jan 27, 2018 at 23:00
Hi I have taken my van up and down from Bombala to Orbost both ways my van is 21ft the road is bitumen 85% of the way with a good gravel section going south east 5 or 10 ks past Bonang .
The road is narrow in a lot of places but there is room enough to pass safely keep to the left on corners especially blind corners.
Watch out for log trucks when they are working if you have a cb radio call the first one and ask if there is any more coming or going.
Its a good drive there are a few stops along the way by the creek.
Goongerah has a park side stop.
Enjoy and have a safe drive.
Cheers
AnswerID: 616413

Reply By: Erad - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 16:11

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 16:11
As above - the Bonang Hwy is used by large (typically logging) trucks all the time, so as long as you keep well to your own side of the road, you should have no troubles in covering this distance.
The Barry Way is a little bit more difficult, although trucks use this as well. The road from Jacobs Ladder to Suggan Buggan is very narrow in places. I have nearly been wiped out by a National Parks Landbruiser truck and also a Subaru Forester towing a camper trailer. That part of the road has a few ups and downs and the oncoming traffic is hidden until the last minute. Southbound traffic has an intimidating drop off the road into the river, so they tend to stay in the centre of the road. The climb up from Suggan Buggan to Gelantipity is very narrow, but it is reasonable well aligned and you can see oncoming traffic quite well. All you have to do is to stop and then sort out who is going to pass who. Trucks can pass each other on this part of the road no problems so as long as you take your time you will have no problems.
Incidentally, there is a section of the road just at the end of the climb where you can get good mobile phone reception for about 4 km, and then you lose it. I have no idea as to where the signal comes from, but I have found it a few times in my travels on this road. Superb views, awesome camping spots beside the river.
AnswerID: 616429

Reply By: Al-one - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 20:40

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 20:40
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies.
AnswerID: 616437

Sponsored Links