Nhulanbuy in and out June - July

Part of my travels this year is including Nhulanbuy. Who can give me some information on the trip in. I know it is 600+ kilometres and I'm anticipating a couple of camps along the way. I'm obviously going to make enquiries with the Land Councils for things to do up there but I'm looking for experiences by our travellers of the general conditions of the roads and camps. To leave Nuulanbuy I was going to head down the coast to Boroloola. Similarly. Who can give me helpful information on the roads and facilities along the way, like fuel and towns, campsites etc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:44

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:44
Hi Kerbar

If you have a look at my recent Blog on the Central Arnhem Highway it will give you an idea on the drive out to Nhulunbuy, which is a fantastic drive.

I am the process of doing another Blog for around the Nhulunbuy area, as there is a lot to see in that area. The first thing that you will need to do is contact the Walkabout Lodge in Nhulunbuy.

You will need to stay at least one night there, even longer as it is a great place to stay, for the only reason is that the Dhimurra Aboriginal Corporation is only open for a few hours every day, and all travel around the township of Nhulunbuy and surrounding area will require either a general or special permit. The Northern ands Council in Katherine is very helpful and they are pushing to get more people out there and your permit is free.

If you do not know anyone in the coastal communities, you simply will not be given a permit for the coastal tracks down to Borroloola, and it will be a return drive back to the Stuart Highway, down to Mataranka and that way to the coast.

Give yourself lots of time in the Nhulunbuy area, as there is lots to see.

Enjoy your trip.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616417

Follow Up By: kerbarb9 - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 13:07

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 13:07
Fantastic, thanks for that
FollowupID: 887792

Reply By: Kenell - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:48

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:48
Look for Blog "Central Arnhem Highway" around September 17. It is brilliant.
AnswerID: 616418

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:51

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 12:51
Hi Kenell

If he clicks on the words "Central Arnhem Highway" in my above reply, it will take him directly to my Blog.

Also, thanks for the thumbs up for the Blog.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887790

Reply By: Kenell - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 13:21

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 13:21
Stephen,

You have convinced us to do the trip this winter. I was actually half thinking about it but kept hearing negative reports around road conditions and accessibility etc until I read your experience. We have a LC76 wagon and a Lifestyle Reconn which I reckon won't have any trouble handling it after seeing your setup. Just hope that you/we aren't creating another GRR with the publicity - ha ha.

Ken
AnswerID: 616420

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 14:18

Sunday, Jan 28, 2018 at 14:18
Hi Ken

Like any drive, it can all come down to the weather..

We had no rain at all and the road was perfect.

Your vehicle setup will have no issues at all and if you do it over 2 days, you will have an enjoyable time out there.

Have a fantastic trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887796

Reply By: Tim F3 - Monday, Jan 29, 2018 at 08:46

Monday, Jan 29, 2018 at 08:46
I have been advised that no permits will be issued to those towing caravans , some dedicated off road campers will be issued permits .
AnswerID: 616447

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 29, 2018 at 09:42

Monday, Jan 29, 2018 at 09:42
Yes, that’s what I was told quite emphatically, so as I had an AOR Quantum I bought a Tvan to do the trip, first thing a saw when I went into the Walkabout Lodge camping area was a Complete Campsite Exodus which is almost identical to a Quantum! So I guess dont believe everything that you are told.
Anyway, I decided to keep the Tvan as it’s better for the High Country & the deserts, then use the Quantum for Outback trips.

FollowupID: 887815

Sponsored Links