electric folding side mirrors

Submitted: Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:13
ThreadID: 136202 Views:8326 Replies:6 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, i asked this question a year or so ago with no luck but hopefully with the passage of time someone now has an answer. My problem is the side mirrors on the 08 rodeo fold out past their proper locstion EVERY TIME I TURN THE KEY ON. Started with the passenger side which we ended up disconnecting the power to. Been doing it on drivers side last 18 months. Old man holden wants a fortune for new side mirrors. Wondered if anyone has had same issue and worked out why or even solved it themselves. . Thanks, doc.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:22

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:22
do they both do this?
doubt its the mirrors as the settings would likely be stored in a controller somewhere more water/accident proof.
AnswerID: 616588

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:39

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:39
Yep they both do it. Its not the glass mirror bit but the entire mirror assembly. The idea was that you press a button to make them fold in i guess for when you are parked in carparks or travelling along tight off road tracks. These ones will still fold in when the button is pressed but when you press it again they fold out past their intended locstion until they are facing away from the car. They also fold right out every time the ignition is turned on and this is what is so very annoying. I think there must be some spring pin or sensor which should mark the end of its travel but has failed.
FollowupID: 888021

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 16:26

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 16:26
Oz doc, when the mirror housings extend "fully out", how do you then adjust them to see properly?
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 888031

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:16

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:16
Ha ha - I have to wind the sodding window down reach out and pull it back into position. And repeat this every time i start the car. Have disconnected it now. First world problems I know. Cheers ,doc
FollowupID: 888035

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:22

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:22
I suspect that what you are doing is pulling the whole mirror housing back to a position where the mirror is positioned for you to see the road behind. Whereas what you should do is leave the housing alone at the fully extended position and use the internal mirror aiming control to set the mirror. Then, when the mirror housing retracts and later extends, the mirror will still be aimed correctly.

Or am I totally mis-understanding this?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888036

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:28

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:28
When the mirror assembly is folded forward to towards the bonnet there is no way the glass can be adjusted enough to be of any use. I just pull the whole thing back to where it should be which is perpendicular to the side of the car, rather than leaving it lying flat along the side of the car facing to my right. Hope this makes sense . Doc
FollowupID: 888037

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:40

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:40
Yes, thanks. I just couldn't believe that they were motoring out so far. I would have thought that the design of the housing would not allow it. So it would seem that their outgoing motion should be limited by a limit switch or similar rather than by any mechanical stop. A very odd way to design it.
Why not go to a Dealer and ask them why it behaves as it does?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888038

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:51

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:51
Local dealer had no idea, just offered to replace them in exchange for my right kidney and spleen??. Doc
FollowupID: 888041

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:38

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:38
Doc, $170 a pair on eBay
AnswerID: 616589

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:47

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 13:47
Ta. I did a search but could not find that price for the side mirror i was after. Mine has the black surround with the led indicator light on it. There was one advertised on ebay but when i click on it it says no longer available. Another was advertised for 600 a pair. Havent searched wreckers yet. Id be happy to know which wire to cut in the loom to disable the fold motor but leave the indicators and mirror adjustment working.
FollowupID: 888022

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 16:44

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 16:44
doc, have a look at this Mirror link
I googled 2008 holden colorado electric mirrors and quite a few came up.
Just re-read your post and here is one with the indicators in it, if you scroll down there is a black one with indicator. I and sure they will have left and right mirrors.
New mirror link
FollowupID: 888033

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 14:09

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 14:09
They are on a ratchet base inside. I have one disassembled. While folded out they should be able to be manually rotated back to normal position by jumping the internal ramp section. The sensing of position is done in the mirror unit itself by an electrical load sensing device for both directions. There isn't a controler as such. Once in the correct place they should then fold inward and out to normal when button pushed.
AnswerID: 616590

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 16:27

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 16:27
OK so from what you have said it is the electric sensor that is failing. Doesn’t matter if I manually return it to position, when I start the car up next time it just does it again. Might fiddle around to find the wire for the position motor and see if I can Disconnect it, and still retain the other functions. Ta, doc
FollowupID: 888032

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 19:38

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 19:38
Try holding them open when you push to fold. It has to then get to the normal position.
FollowupID: 888045

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:36

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:36
Oz doc, have you tried manually folding them all the way back in so that they are flat against the car pointing inwards, then turning the car off & on again? I am not saying this will work, but it might reset the positions back to “normal”

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616597

Follow Up By: oz doc - Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:48

Friday, Feb 02, 2018 at 17:48
Yep- they just fold back out again to the over extended position. I think the position sensor must be knackered. Doc
FollowupID: 888040

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 00:29

Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 00:29
Hi Oz Doc

I have exactly the same problem on a 2014 Prado - drivers side only. According to Toyota the mirror mechanism has been damaged as a result of an impact on it that has forced the mirror in a forward direction. They say this is not uncommon.

In my “discussions” with Toyota I have pointed out that there is no visual signs (scrapes, dents, gouges) on any part of the mirror and therefore the mirror is “ not fit for purpose”. All my arguments have fallen on deaf ears. The replacement cost is $950 so I have been leaning out the window and pulling the mirror into place( with an audible crunch) for the last 12 months.

There are a few posts on Pradopoint on this problem but as far as I can see there is no easy fix. Maybe the Rodeo and Prado mirrors are made by the same company.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I have researched this problem for 12 months and keep arriving at the same solution - replace the mirror. I will when it stops being useable. Meanwhile keep pulling it into shape. Tedious.

Cheers

John
AnswerID: 616612

Follow Up By: oz doc - Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 10:42

Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 10:42
Hi John- I agree if something as benign as being knocked back in the wrong direction causes such a malfunction the the design of these mirrors are not fit for their intended purpose. I am apalled at the replacement cost and feel sure I will still be leaning out of my window to pull them back in at some stage in the future. Obviously a poor design. I have disconnected the wiring loom so that they are now manual mirrors with no indicator lights. When I have some time I may get the multimeter out and see if I can isolate the wire to the fold motor and disconnect it and then reconnect the others . Folding mirrors I can live without. Thanks, doc
FollowupID: 888075

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 13:32

Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 13:32
It is the same vehicle as an Isuzu 09 / 12.
The two wires which control either out or in are: purple and the other is white, thet are reversed in polarity to wind one way or the other. Cutting one of those will render the swing control inoperative and you can have the plug in the mirror for mirror adjust and indicator too.

Those two wires connect inside the mirror base via a pad to the load control circuit board next to the pivot centre. It senses the load when fully one way, ie, stop out or the other, stop in, and cuts off power to the swing motor. When power is applied the other way it, ie, switch pressed, the unit runs until it senses the load the other way. That is what it should do.
AnswerID: 616628

Follow Up By: oz doc - Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 13:37

Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 13:37
SUPER- thanks for that. Sounds like the purple wire is due for a snip! Ta , doc
FollowupID: 888084

Follow Up By: Zippo - Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 14:40

Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 14:40
Although Doc is heading for the snip solution (KISS), it would be interesting to measure the current draw as the motor folds IN and reaches the end position, such as 1.5A running, 2.3A stalled before shutoff. Then repeat outward and see if there is any rise in current near the desired outward position. If not, there is an end-stop that is missing or otherwise non-functional. That's a mechanical issue to address. If it DOES rise comparably then the control board sensing is amiss.

I know that's what I'd be doing. But that's just my nature.
FollowupID: 888087

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 16:08

Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 16:08
Zippo
I agree with what you stated, it is that way, but to get them apart is difficult and they have a big spring on the fold pre load ramp. Something could be broken in there BUT when apart it is almost impossible to get it back together.

There are 3 fragile plastic barbs which hold the whole thing compressed and working, if apart they won't grip again after being released from the pivot centre. I tried and gave up. Just not enough material in a confined space to do the job. The barbs round off their edges and a rounded buttress shape then won't hold it together.
FollowupID: 888094

Follow Up By: oz doc - Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 17:07

Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 17:07
RMD - I wasn’t game to even try to pull the whole thing apart. You have confirmed my suspicion it is a one way trip. Focusing on what I ultimately want to achieve- I’ll cut the wire and be done with it. Never found having the ability to fold the mirrors in usefeul so no tears when this function is disabled. Doc
FollowupID: 888095

Follow Up By: Zippo - Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 18:13

Saturday, Feb 03, 2018 at 18:13
Doc, I'm very much of the view that they are 90% novelty and 10% useful. They at least are less prone to impact/damage when peeps pass between cars parked at the supermarket - which can force non-auto-fold types either in or (as *may* have happened to yours) forwards and beyond the "normal" stop.

At the end of the day, I'm happy I don't have them.
FollowupID: 888100

Sponsored Links