Waecos

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 04, 2018 at 23:19
ThreadID: 136217 Views:3221 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Gday fellow Strayans, Im looking at getting another Waeco. I have the old basic 15 year old 35litre one with Danfoss comp which is great but the fact I have to monitor the temp is getting to me. After I bought the old one I wanted a newer VerB model but now 10 years on I see theres many new models of Waecos. Could someone give me a basic rundown of whats been going on with them please? Power draw? Reliability,still Danfoss? Set and dont stress about temp? Are the newer ones better than VerB? Thank you and Regards to all.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Batt's - Sunday, Feb 04, 2018 at 23:58

Sunday, Feb 04, 2018 at 23:58
They have a web site full of info relevant to your questions.
AnswerID: 616673

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 07:57

Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 07:57
Made in China now, the Danfoss has morphed into a Secop(spelling?) and plenty of blokes rave over them. Appear to have a large range of models, with some dual zone fridges as well.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616679

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 11:56

Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 11:56
We still have our ever reliable CF 50 which is now 16 years old and still working reliably. Around 5 years back we purchased the CFX50 which has been great as well and you appreciate the improved capacity and internal design

You can now purchase a remote temperature monitor made by them as the new series has a transponder inbuilt whereas the old ones needed two parts to the temperature reader. One in the fridge and the readout. You have always been able to buy third party temperature sets and still can.

Rob
AnswerID: 616682

Reply By: swampy - Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 15:43

Monday, Feb 05, 2018 at 15:43
Hi
When I was looking into Waeco about 5yr ago
Probably the CF model
lids 1 type were more prone to failure
thermostat/thermistor can have issues CFX/CF ?
Power supply wire at least use 4.5mm cable [=6mmauto]
CFX apparently uses less power than the previous model CF

The feature I personally did not like separate dairy compartment vs main compartment ,deal breaker ..
AnswerID: 616689

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Wednesday, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:08

Wednesday, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:08
Anyone done the Maths re the current draw on these fridges? Pretty scary, especially if you live in the tropics and it will run flat out 24/7.
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616736

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Feb 07, 2018 at 15:30

Wednesday, Feb 07, 2018 at 15:30
Lyndon, just how "scary" depends on a few things.............

If the fridge is a reasonable size, say no more than 45 litres, and it is run as a fridge at say
plus 4 degrees, and you keep the fridge out of the sun, and you keep the kids out of the fridge......
then it may run half the time (50% duty cycle) and use only about 25Ah in 12 hours which is about half of your 100Ah battery capacity. Not too bad? You may even do better than that.
Some will even attest that their Super Dooper model that they've had for 45 years will run for 5 days and still keep the ice-cream frozen! lol

But if the same fridge is running as a freezer at -10 and you are "in the tropics" then it will run most of the time and use about 50Ah and exhaust your battery in 12 hours or less.

And of course, if the fridge is a 80 litre whopper the battery will only run it for half those times.

You may not even attain those time if your 100Ah battery is getting a little tired and only has 75Ah actual capacity.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888180

Follow Up By: Boris K - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 08:02

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 08:02
Ive been using some basic common sense and keeping the fridge in the shade. I have a back up Yamaha inverter generator and smart charger, and now added a 200w solar panel with regulator to my two 135ah AGM batteries. Hopefully that will suffice even with two waecos. Cryovacing helps reduce the need for freezing too.
FollowupID: 888215

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 20:38

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 20:38
Hi Allan

Yep, that's pretty scary! We have friends that have one, they love it. Lives at the shack plugged into 240v, flawless, LOL.
A 40 litre is fine for a weekend but not really anything longer. 80 litre is around the norm in the top end or if going smaller people run multiple fridges.
We run a 40 litre engel and an 80 litre EvaKool.
Engel draws the same amount as the 80 litre and probably runs longer.
There is no way I can see a Waeco holding -10 in the top end.
A Tail Blazer, yes. Maybe a EvaKool but have yet to try that.
Why anyone today would buy a fridge that draws anywhere near that amount of power is beyond me.
Just my two bob's worth. I've met more than 1 person that has struggled to keep their power up to their Weaco.
Cheers
Lyndon

FollowupID: 888226

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 21:20

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 21:20
Well Lyndon, consider our refrigeration needs and setup.

We go into very remote regions (including the Top End) and do not see "civilisation" for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. That's just a bit more than "a weekend".
We have an old 35 litre Waeco running as a fridge at about 6 degrees and an 11 litre Waeco running as a freezer at minus 10 degrees, and it does that without difficulty. We need to be fully self-supporting and everything is packed into the Troopy.... no trailer.

So it can be done with less than 120 litres. In fact, the Beadell's (Connie and Mick) who spend 5 months of every year leading tag-along trips in remote desert areas have no refrigeration at all.
Yep, NONE!!!

We "keep the power up" without trouble. We have but one 110Ah auxiliary battery, charged only by the vehicle alternator, no solar, no gennie, and no problems. Mind you, we only stop overnight and on the move each day.

It's more about "How you cut your suit" than "The amount of cloth you must have". lol

So whatever we are doing, it is clearly different to what you are doing. No?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888227

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 08:55

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 08:55
Hi Allan

I will safely assume your beer intake is slightly less than the average Territorians :-)
Not to mention other cold drinks all going into the fridge at 35c.
On top of that are the greans and 10 Kg of Cryovac meat. Then we need room to put the Barra if we find one dumb enough to be caught by us.
We tend to sit in one place for at least a few days if not a couple of weeks. I think you will find most people (not all I'll admit, I have a mate that went to Lawn Hill for the arvo) Tend to camp like this.
Traveling with less is quite possible, I went around OZ 25 years ago with an old 3 way chescold with no auxiliary battery.
Cheers
Lyndon

FollowupID: 888232

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 14:06

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 14:06
Lyndon, EVERYONE'S beer intake is less than the "Average Territorian's". LOL

Not that Territorian's are all that average!...... lol again.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888240

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 14:39

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 14:39
Lyndon,

I have just discovered that you run a Christies Charger to support all that refrigeration.
You carry your own Power Station!!!!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 888242

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 16:30

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 16:30
Now Allan, you have been digging.............
Yes we have a 80A christies charger, still runs great Bought it back in the day when high amp 240/12v chargers where still a thing of the future.
Figured I'd rather make a lot of noise for 2 hours than a small amount all day.
Did have one fellow camper complain once, she was running a Honda 2Kva.
I pointed out that I could appreciate that it was giving her the --ITS for a couple of hours but also couldn't help pointing out that hers did the same for me but ALL day.
The Christies get run to keep it going but gets seldom used these days.
Did I mention we now have two Honda 2Kva's as well :-)
Just do that so I can run them in Parallel should we lose our power up here, gotta keep those beers cold!
Take one camping and run a 25A + 16A charger.
Still got a winge about that at Roper Bar a couple of years back.
HI NOEL

FollowupID: 888243

Reply By: eaglefree - Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 23:30

Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 23:30
We have a small CF18. 4 YO now and runs like clockwork.

We got ours with a cover as part of the deal and it does help.

As long as you have the power in your battery it is faultless...even as a freezer.
AnswerID: 616771

Reply By: Boris K - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 12:54

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 12:54
Ive ended up finding a 60litre Waeco verB with cover very locally and couldnt refuse it at $300. Looked clean and all but when I got it home I noticed that half the rubber around the lid groove was missing so now I have to try and find a service dept or try something from Bunnings. The Dometic web site is a pain.
AnswerID: 617419

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 13:45

Thursday, Mar 08, 2018 at 13:45
"or try something from Bunnings"

Some door seal might work, I'm thinking of one with a "P" cross section, which I know they have.

Clark Rubber may be a better bet for variety if you have a store within reach.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889088

Reply By: Boris K - Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 11:50

Sunday, Mar 11, 2018 at 11:50
It seems I may have been duped my friends. I have several bottles of frozen water in the Waeco and I cant get it to go below -4degrees. Does this mean its stuffed?
If it is then Ill have to try and take it back. Seemed a genuine seller too. About 65, well presented and just came back from a trip around Australia so have no need for the fridge anymore. Pity people resort to doing others over like this.
AnswerID: 617489

Sponsored Links