Expiry Date on Tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 16:52
ThreadID: 13622 Views:5392 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
On a recent trip to the north west, I had the misfortune of blowing 2 rear tyres of which one stripped, causing substantial damage to the rear of my cruiser. These tyres had about 40% tread left on them. About 6 weeks prior to leaving, one of the front tyres bubbled and started seperating, which I replaced without hesitation thinking it was a on off problem. All 3 tyres where purchased at the same time.

On returning from our holiday, I thought I would send the tyre that I could salvage into the tyre manufactures to assess it, thinking that they may probably be from a bad batch and maybe should have been recalled. The response I got from them left me gob smacked to say the least.

They told me that the reason they seperated was that the tyres had gone past their use by date, being 5 years from manufacture. They said that the molecules inside the tyre start seperating after 5 years and that the tyres should have been replaced because of their age. This to me sounds too much like a cop out.

How many people are aware of this? How many people replace their tyres because they have reached their use by date and not because the remaining tread is below the legal requirements?

I feel like I need to take this further with these guys but thought I would get some thoughts from the people that know best (thats you guys) before I proceed.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:05

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:05
Gob smaked is being polite!

i personally have not heard of it, although it could be true.

Back in the early 70s, when I was working on a station, we had old Jeep tyres from WW2, which were never used, we put them on an old willy's, and they went forever. They were quite hard, I admit, but did not suffer stakes and rocks through them........ quite indestructable really.

I suppose that with the laminating of tyres, age could be an issue, but it's not like they stamp the tyre with like a use by date.

Interesting to say the least.

If you get responses on the forum saying that it's a load of crap, call the MANUFACTURER, and tell them that you will name the brand on the forum, that'll change their tune........
AnswerID: 62435

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:31

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:31
Its true , tyres have a use by date but it's like best before on food, they can still last well past their use by date.
AnswerID: 62444

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:35

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:35
Again, my education has let me down!

Still Gob smacked though, and I feel sorry for this chap.
FollowupID: 323741

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:39

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:39
I agree but thats all the tyre manufactures allow. I run a transport business so I use a lot of tyres.
FollowupID: 323744

Follow Up By: duncs - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:47

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:47
Bob & Lex

If that is the case and I have no reason to doubt you, how would you find out what that date might be for the tyres on a particular vehicle?

Duncs
FollowupID: 323750

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:51

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 17:51
There is a code on the side wall, just ask the tyre people for when the manufacture was. If there reputable they will tell you
FollowupID: 323754

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:15

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:15
Use by 31 10 15?
FollowupID: 323765

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:19

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:19
I had a bad experience with tyre seperation. The Bridgestone tyre on the rear wheel seperated and caused $1,000.00 damage to the rear panel on the Ford XF station wagon. The tread seperated completely except for a bit of wire which still connected the tread to the tyre. The tread at speed kept smashing into the wheel well and outside the wheel wheel causing a lot of damage. We were travelling at 110 kph and in the short time it took to stop the damage was done. A mate at a local tyre shop said he had seen this paticular tyre seperate before and was getting a bad reputation. So I took it to Bridgestone who sent it to their lab who then wrote back to me to say the tyre was fine and it was my fault for under inflating the tyre.
We had just refuelled an hour before it happened at Newman and I checked the tyre pressures which were fine. The tempeture was 40' plus so if anything the pressure would have been up - not down. Ever since I dont think the new tyre warranties are worth the paper they are written on! We were lucky as the petrol tank throat was in the same wheel well and the tank was full so we came close to a major fire from the friction/sparks caused by the thrashing tyre/wire. It came close to cutting the through the steel pipe. Also people have been hurt where the thrashing tyre tears through the wheel well and backseat getting to the passengers behind.
AnswerID: 62463

Follow Up By: Mitch - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:38

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 18:38
Peter,

Your experience sounds like a mirror image of mine. I to shredded the rear tyre at 90kph towing a caravan. My heart was in my mouth when it all happened. The biggest concern I have with this issue is the fact that my families safety was put at risk, all because the manufacture had failed to properly inform me of their so called use by date when I purchased the tyres. Had I known this little piece of important information, I would have replaced the tyres (especially on such a long trip and towing a van) and not put my family at risk.
FollowupID: 323776

Reply By: Member - Ken - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 19:18

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 19:18
What brand of tyre was it Mitch.
AnswerID: 62485

Reply By: Member - Allan - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:18

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:18
Mitch & others, if that was the case that tyres had a 'use by date' and they could seperate / disintergrate after 5 years then they would have a duty of care to advise the public of the safety risk. How many times have has the tyre dealer warned you of the risks of exceeding the 'Use By Date' when you bought new tyres??? Never, they are only interested in flogging their products. Tell the dealer you want it in writing then watch them try to 'wriggle' out of the hole they have just dug for themselves. Worth pursuing this issue.
AnswerID: 62497

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:20

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 20:20
Mitch,
I had to take a tyre back because had a bubble on the tread and side wall. The first thing that they asked me was how old the tyre was. Not sure but it is the current tread pattern. 2-7-02 was the numbers that he looked at and said that the tyre was 2years old. Filled out the paper work and am waiting for some kind of response. The tyre was only half worn so I don't expect much from the manufactor.

Wayne
AnswerID: 62498

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:26

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:26
Mitch.
Most vehicle owners hand books state that "tyres more than 6 years old should not be used" Check your hand book before you embaress yourself. From your discription of the fialures it sounds like over inflation, its common for drivers to over inflate when the vehicle is overloaded because the tyres are bulging a bit but this is normal and is not a problem. The tyre and rim association hand book recomend a maximum of 310 kpa on any pasenger vehicle fitted with radial tyres. Eric.
AnswerID: 62530

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:05

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:05
My question is this...how do we the consumer know how old a new tyre is when it is fitted.? How do we know if a tyre with a 5 yr "useable" life isn't already 3 yrs old??? If I buy a grocery item for instance, I can check the use by date a make a call on whether or not I think I can use it all by then. Often times I make a choice between different brands based on the use-by date.

On a different subject, back in the 80's when I was a teenager on a family trip from Nth Qld to Melbourne, we copped 3 blow-outs in the space of 100km's somewhere in NSW. Now these were brand new steel radials fitted to the family sedan only days before we left on our trip. The first blow-out was replaced in the very next town but the subsequent 2 blow outs saw Mum and us two kids stranded on the side of the road miles from nowhere for a couple of hours whilst Dad hitched a lift into the next town. Cut a long story short, the local tyre dealer came to our rescue and Dad had the remaining original tyres plus the buggared tyres replaced with a different brand altogether. Once back home, he contacted the head office of the tyre company concerned and was basically told "bad luck". He started a letter writing campaign but eventually only got a full refund after threatening to take the story to the media.

Actually, we had a bit of bad luck when it came to tyres on that particular vehicle. Several years later Dad had new tyres fitted only to have one come flying off on the way home. It was a hairy moment indeed as we were cruising along the highway at about 110k's when it happened. Needless to say the car suffered some major damage and even though the tyre dealer accepted liability (the fitter had failed to tighten the studs) and had the car repaired, it was never the same after that.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 62616

Reply By: cmilton54 - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 18:04

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 18:04
manafactures warranty is 5 years from build date. ultra violet light is the main cause of rubber breakdown. Caravans have a lot of trouble because of higher presures to carry the loading of the van. Heat is another cause of tyre failure, wrong pressures, wrong tyre for task it is doing, eg M/T,A/t tyre travelling high speed on hot bitumen long distances high temps
Cheer
Charlie Milton
AnswerID: 63104

Sponsored Links