Where to stay at the tip of Cape York

Afternoon all, I'm in the throes of planning for a trip to Cape York and see on my maps that formal camping at or near the tip is restricted mainly to Seisa, Loyalty Beach, or Punsand Bay Safari Lodge. What would be the recommendations on where to stay? I do realise that Seisa is the furthermost away and Punsand the closest. The short drive to and from Seisa isn't an issue if that was the consensus of the recommendations.

thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 15:58

Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 15:58
Dunc, both are good and I can recommend either. The drive to the tip from either is straight forward although the 'shortcut' from Punsand can be a bit tight if there is oncoming traffic lol.

Do the tip from Punsand and then come back to Loyalty Beach and make sure you book a boat ride and tour over to Thursday and Horn Islands. You wouldn't want to miss either while you're up there.

Both will be busy. Avoid the cape during QLD school holidays and book both locations well in advance.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616766

Follow Up By: Graham G4 - Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 16:58

Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 16:58
I'll second all of that.
FollowupID: 888204

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 06:49

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 06:49
Agree with Mick comments
Don't load up with too much alcohol there are limits to what you can take.
We stayed at punsand great spot .
Don't miss the croc tent well worth a chat with young lady there.
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 888214

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:05

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:05
Thanks guys great advice. Mick, a trip to the islands is definitely on the cards. As usual time constraints will be the biggest issue as coming from the west it will take a month of Sundays getting there and back and while I'm still working I'm restricted to my leave allowance and what I can accumulate in the interim - bugger.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888217

Reply By: Tony F8 - Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 17:09

Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 17:09
And don't forget Umagico and Alau Beach
AnswerID: 616768

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:07

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:07
Thanks Tony what's so special about these 2 spots?

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888218

Reply By: James H2 - Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 19:19

Thursday, Feb 08, 2018 at 19:19
Heard Alau Beach is a great place to visit.
AnswerID: 616770

Reply By: Malcom M - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 06:39

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 06:39
Your ferry ticket is inclusive of a free camping permit so you can camp on beachs (or anywhere) north of the Jardine river.
If you don't want to stay at the camping grounds then you could try one of the many uninhabited beaches close to the tip.
AnswerID: 616773

Follow Up By: Kenell - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 10:40

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 10:40
If you are self sufficient the free camping opportunities are the way to go as Malcolm has said. There are a couple not far from Punsand that we discovered on the Five Beach tour we did. The lady at the Croc Tent suggested it to us and gave us a mud map. Don't try this trip while towing but it is a good half day sightseeing trip. Otherwise Punsand is beautiful and the people who run it are very accommodating. Enjoy your trip.

Ken
FollowupID: 888216

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:08

Friday, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:08
Thanks guys I wasn't aware that there was free camping opportunities around this area. Much appreciated.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888219

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 13:16

Saturday, Feb 10, 2018 at 13:16
As said, your ferry ticket allows you to free camp on the Injunoo lands north of the Jardine, so you have Somerset, just down from where the residence was, and if you walk south along the beach for a fifty yards or so, you'll find the old well they used for water, another great spot is Muttee Heads, which is the WW2 site of radar No 52, there are 2 spots for camping, basically one either side of the radar tower. Another spot is the old Ebagoola goldfields on the head waters of the Wenlock River, some old mining machinery, which as a point of interest, it took them a couple of months to get the stamper into there from Port Stewart, a drive which only takes a few hours drive now. If you need to know more, just ask.
AnswerID: 616797

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 12:35

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 12:35
Thanks for the advice Tony, much appreciated.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888248

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 13:18

Sunday, Feb 11, 2018 at 13:18
User of the term "free camp" can be misleading.
It does not mean you can camp anywhere you like.
The following is from the Northern Peninsular Area Regional Council website:

"Permits:
Ferry receipt will act as a permit to camp in bush campsites only, maintained campsites (eg. Punsand Bay, Alau Beach, Loyalty Beach or Seisia Campgrounds) will require further payment.
Many bush campgrounds operate on an honour system, if you enjoy your stay, please make a donation so we can continue to maintain this paradise.
As our region lies on Traditionally Owned land, please be aware that when travelling or camping, you are visitors, welcomed in good faith. Please respect the land, only camping in designated camping areas. If you are unsure if you are allowed somewhere, please feel free to ask a community member of contact the Local Ranger Base at Injinoo on 4069 3875.

Note the words.. "Please respect the land, only camping in designated camping areas."

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 888249

Reply By: RangerRegor - Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 06:33

Monday, Feb 12, 2018 at 06:33
Spent two weeks up there in early June 2017

For me the best spot was Punsand, great amenities, great feed and a great place for a base camp to explore the area

Book early at what ever spot you are after
Norweld Canopy, TJM suspension upgrade-600kg constant, Upgraded Duel Fuel Tanks, TJM ECU Remapping, TJM bar-brush bars & sidesteps, TJM Winch

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616841

Reply By: Member - Christine and Lindsay - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 22:07

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018 at 22:07
We were up there in 2016. Loyalty Beach was our pick. It was shady and pleasant with the advantage of being a short trip for fuel, food shopping etc. Punsand has a pool though. If you stay there top up before you go there.
AnswerID: 616902

Sponsored Links