Perseverance pays off - Thinking outside the square.

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 00:01
ThreadID: 136296 Views:2882 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The desert travel season approaches and in 2018, I for one (amongst many) will be heading deep into the arid heart of our amazing land.

Nothing too spectacular for me this year but I am always reminded that one of our key issues, whether off track or not, are tyres and how to fix them when things go to hell in a handbasket!

Here's a gem from a few years back when we were trying to fix a slightly larger tyre than normal. We don't recommend the practices but when you're 350km from anywhere (read reasonable track there), you will do what's necessary to keep your vehicle moving.

Yes I know we neglected the old ratchet strap around the tyre but believe me, that was the first thing we discounted with these big Michies!.

Cheers and safe travels to you all for 2018. Hope to share a camp fire with you out there.

Mick

and for old times sake.

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ron N - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 00:28

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 00:28
Geez, Mick - Didn't your Mum tell you, to never play with petrol and fire?? [;-)

I guess you "got 'er dun" - but the only effective bead seater, IMO, is the bead bazooka style.

You don't even have to buy the official product - you can make one very effectively from a wrecked prime mover reserve air tank (you know, the small air tank mounted inside the chassis, or at the rear of the chassis) - or even a small Chinese compressor tank.

A nylon seat ball valve of sizeable diameter (1 inch or 25mm is good), with a decent handle - and a nosepiece made from heavy wall PVC piping with the end flattened, to go into the gap between the side flange and bead - and WHOOOM-PA! - you "got 'er dun", with no fire, no hats blown off, and no singed eyebrows or singed chest hairs!

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 617068

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 07:11

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 07:11
Watched a video the other day courtesy of All 4 Adventure , they did it with aerosol deodorant
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 888547

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 07:25

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 07:25
I've never heard of the Bead Bazooka.. I went looking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uBJcVKLzMk
FollowupID: 888548

Follow Up By: Mick O - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 08:36

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 08:36
The first thing that was purchased when we got back was the bead Bazooka. It's not infallible but generally gets the job done.

We're more fortunate with the Toyo's on the smaller vehicles. Can normally get those to seat fairly well by dropping them from a couple of feet onto the tread so they pop the sidewalls outwards. A good squirt of compressed usually air finishes the job.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 888550

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:13

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:13
Always meant to raise a slight modification to that process which I believe makes it better Mick.

That is to use a butane torch to ignite.

If you watch that little video, when it comes time to light it the operator needs to move in close and look at what they are doing as any flame is small - also depending on type, the igniter sometimes needs a couple of goes.

With a butane torch its flame can be started well away from the tyre then , because it has a greater reach, and is always on, the flame can be waved over tyre and the operator can turn their face away from it before it ignites.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617075

Sponsored Links