Fridge Covers...Are they worth it

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:00
ThreadID: 13641 Views:6086 Replies:10 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Can anyone tell me what a Fridge cover does.

a. Does it keep the cold in or
b. Does it keep the heat out ?

If its supposed to keep the cold in the fridge, surely its too late if the cold has reached the insulated cover and the temperature inside the fridge has decreased anyway.

If its supposed to keep the heat out of the fridge, that could only work for a short time. Just like some houses, they can keep cool for 1 day if its hot outside, but if you have a few hot days in a row the house ends up like an oven.

Has anyone done any tempeature testing or amount of Fridge cycling with and without a cover ??

Thoughts anyone
Are these things worth the money ?

Cheers Cruisin

P.S Searched the archives but did not find much
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:10

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:10
Mate

1st point ... a fridge is designed to remove the heat from the inside to the outside. That goes for your Kelvinator at home just as well.
The arguement is that by increasing the insulation, albeit by only a tad, you increase the thermal efficiency of your fridge.

I have a cover thingy for my Waeco and to be honest I value it more, at this stage, as protection against knocks and scrapes. Whether it adds to efficiency remains to be seen. I'm inclined to think any benefit would be minimal at best.

See ya
AnswerID: 62522

Reply By: Vinnie - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:12

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:12
Cruisin
Have a read in the June issue 4x4 monthly, there is a section on fridges- tests etc.
AnswerID: 62523

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:33

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:33
Seems to me if it needs a cover then the insulation is not good enough in the first place.
AnswerID: 62532

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:36

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:36
Real good after a few years on the road for rubbing ALL the paint off of the fridge sides, thats about it though .
Just keep it protected from the sunlight and I think it will be fine.
AnswerID: 62533

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:50

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 22:50
It's all about heat transfer. Think of layering with your clothing, or to use your example, the house...... insulated house running an air con will be a tad cooler in summer than one without.

The packaging on mine for a CF 35 said up to 2 deg C. Cna't quantify this, but it would have to be a little better than without.

Dollar value?, hard call, I guess protection, coupled with a slight increase in insulation, over say 3 years, yeah, okay I reckon.

Sometimes on the way home from work, I might stop at the shop & buy cold Coke or something. I wrap them up in a blanket on my seat, and they stay cold longer, because they cannot absorb latent heat.

Also remember, there is a difference between heat and temperature........

Temperature is simply a number, eg degrees C, or F or Kelvin, whatever.
Heat is the Power, measured in BTU's

Light a match, it burns at say 300 degrees. Now light the oven and set it to 300 degrees...... see the difference.

All inanimate objects will want to absorb heat, hence the fridge at 5 deg will want to absorb the outside temp. Same fridge at the Polar Ice Cap at 5 deg will be hotter than outside, hence atmosphere will absorb heat from fridge.

Any way you cut it, any insulation is a good barrier to alleviate heat transfer.
AnswerID: 62539

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 23:13

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 23:13
I have the cover on the Waeco CF-40 and I'm with Rosco about it being valuable as a cover to keep the bumps and scratches to a minimum. It has a rubberised base that stops it sliding around until I get around to tying it down.

I am sure the insulation factor can only help. Some else said that if it needs a cover then it doesn't have enough insulation in the first place. I disagree. More can only help and if it means that the motor only has to cycle for 10 minutes an hour instead of 12 minutes per hour (for example) to maintain temp overnight then my battery is going to last longer or is not going to be discharged so deeply. It has to be a good thing.

I don't have a PhD in Thermodynamics but it does not take much thinking to work out the effect of wearing a jumper on a hot day - you get hotter because the heat your body produces is kept in rather than being transfered out and away from the body. With the fridge the reverse is true. Heat is drawn out and expelled from the vent by the mechanism and placing a jumper or cover on the body of it can only help in keeping heat energy out.

You pose an interesting question about whether the cover keeps the cold in or keeps the heat out. My understanding following on from the example above is that heat energy is always trying to dissipate to areas of lower energy (colder areas). Therefore the answer would be that insulation is there to stop or slow down the transfer of heat and keep the heat out. Have you ever heard of radiated cold?

Cheers
Steven

Steven
AnswerID: 62544

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 23:24

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2004 at 23:24
Have you ever heard of radiated cold?

Love it!!!

Bit like what's the speed of Dark?

Cheers
FollowupID: 323847

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:03

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:03
Lone Wolf - if you can answer the question about what's the speed of Dark - can you describe the taste of water? LOL
FollowupID: 323864

Follow Up By: rolande- Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:40

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:40
Or what colour is air???????????
FollowupID: 323873

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:23

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:23
Rolande, well done! (no answers, as yet I see.) Truckster must be busy elsewhere.
FollowupID: 323982

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:33

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:33
Hmmm Rolande,

Not sure I can give you a CLEAR answer on that one!

Steven
FollowupID: 323984

Follow Up By: rolande- Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 21:01

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 21:01
Steven,
Exactly, but have you ever thought about sponges, those wonderful things that soak up all the water we spill. They come from the ocean right? Well, can you imagine how deep the ocean would be if we took all the sponges out!
Rolande
FollowupID: 324120

Reply By: pathfinder - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:28

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 12:28
grab a couple of $4 reflective windscreen sun shields from supercheap and make your won... even better if you incorporate a bit of foam in the base to cushion bumps a bit...
AnswerID: 62621

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 13:24

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 13:24
Some fridges are that efficient that they don't need a cover ie Trailblaza!
AnswerID: 62632

Reply By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 13:34

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 13:34
Thanks for all the replys.
Looks like the only way to know is to try one out.
Got one coming for a CF-50 Waeco for $88.00 from the Fridgeshop.
Nearly half of what they want in normal Camp stores !!
For that money its worth a go.

Cheers Cruisin
AnswerID: 62633

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:21

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:21
I did what Pathfinder suggested.
Took about one hourmeasuring, cutting & glueing reflective sunshade onto thin blue foam that costs about $9.95 & is sold as a camp mattress. Used elastic tape to hold it in place, around the rear, with cut outs for the cooling/air flowspaces.

It gives me peace of mind in that i didn't spend heaps on a cover; protects fridge; insulates as well. Not quite as pretty as the bought one, but then again nor am I!
FollowupID: 324023

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:50

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:50
Cancel the order for the fridge bag

Sell the Waeco

Buy Trailblaza

Won't need a cover

Ever!

:-)
AnswerID: 62677

Follow Up By: Member - Cruisin (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 19:17

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 19:17
Yes the Trailblazers are a good fridge, but they are big and heavy.
At least with the Waeco you can take it out of the truck with 1 person.
Those Trailblazers are almost a 2 man lift !!!
FollowupID: 323989

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 19:22

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 19:22
Very true! It takes both me and my better half to lift ours in and out of the Patrol... A friend of ours has a trolley that is the same height as his truck.... slides his Trailblaza in and out using the trolley. We don't have a garage and the Trailblaza lives in our office when not in the truck, so we have to do the lift thing, too many obstacles to use a trolley. We don't mind as the Trailblaza is a very reliable unit..... that's what is most important to us.

BTW Love your signature thing about experiance!! It is Too True!!!
FollowupID: 323990

Sponsored Links