Exploroz Raster maps

Submitted: Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 16:39
ThreadID: 136443 Views:2570 Replies:1 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
In the Exploroz newsletter last week there was mention of Exploroz raster maps, and I note there was mention of them in a post last week or the week before as well. Are these different to the maps in the EO Traveller app that I’ve been using for the past year or 2 and if so, where do I find them?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 19:58

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 19:58
Paul please go to the EOTopo page and all your questions will be answered there. Open the site menu (click Menu top left) and there is a list of site areas shown in alphabetical order so go to the E section for EOTopo.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617703

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 20:04

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 20:04
Pardon my incompetence Michelle, but I can't see the answer I'm looking for on the EOTopo page.

The EO Topo maps I'm currently using on my iPad look like vector maps, because more things appear the closer I zoom in. When I read that there were raster maps available I thought they'd be different, but I can't see where they are, or if they are, where I order them.
FollowupID: 889455

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 20:29

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 20:29
Paul we manage the EOTopo such that we can output it in various formats but the data is essentially the same.

We offer EOTopo Online, EOTopo maps in our app (ExplorOz Traveller), and you can buy EOTopo in raster format. All the same source data but each has its own differences in usability, look/feel, function and system requirements.

In both EOTopo Online, and in our app ExplorOz Traveller, our mappng engine allows the raster maps to look/behave like vector maps but really is still raster maps that we use.

We are actually working towards a full vector mapping system for later this year hopefully.

Both the maps in our app and the raster maps use the same data source and these were recently updated with the 2018 mapset.

Not sure what mapping software you are running on your iPad - presumably our app ExplorOz Traveller? If so, you can update to the 2018 version of the maps for free. But I am surprised you didn't know that already if you are an app user you would have received instructions about this last month. If you need further instructions let me know.

Maybe you are running Memory-Map on your iPad and not our app? If so, you will need to go back to Memory-Map to obtain the 2018 EOTopo release. We don't control their sales distribution but we supply the product to them for sale to their customers as it has to be in a different format to use with their software.

Hope this helps?
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889457

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 20:32

Monday, Mar 19, 2018 at 20:32
If you want to purchase the raster maps from us you go to our shop and the 1st item in product list is EOTopo. The description explains these are raster maps and the various formats available. The links directly to EOTopo in the shop were provided in the newsletter and also on the EOTopo page link I gave above. Or just navigate using the site menu above - go to the S section for Shop.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889458

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 21, 2018 at 09:02

Wednesday, Mar 21, 2018 at 09:02
Thanks very much Michelle, I think I already had the most up to date maps. I do use the EO Traveller app, but I was confused by the term raster maps which I’d thought were different to the maps the app used, which as you say are raster maps which look a bit like vector maps.

I also do quite a bit of marine navigation using apps and GPS plotters that use vector maps, which I absolutely hate because I think they’re really dangerous. Unless you zoom into the closest looms for every inch of your journey you can’t know if you’re likely to sail over reefs, rocks or other hard things that can destroy your vessel and the lives of all sailing with you. On a longish journey, that’s both inordinately time-consuming and haphazard as it’s very easy to miss a bit of your prospective course. It’s now becoming the major cause of the loss of pleasure vessels at sea, and indeed even caught one of the professional navigators in a boat participating in the previous Volvo Around the World race. So something that is designed to simplify navigation has greatly complicated and compromised it, particularly for longer journeys..

That isn’t quite the same catastrophic issue with land transport, but you can miss potential attractions with vector maps if you don’t zoom in far enough. Hence my interest in rastor mapping apps.

But thanks very much for your detailed reply.
FollowupID: 889512

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 09:07

Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 09:07
Michelle,

I have searched for EO 2018 on memory map, the only editions I can find are 2014 and 2015 200k versions.

Do you know when they will get and publish the 2018 144k version?
FollowupID: 889577

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 09:23

Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 09:23
All I know is we supplied the data to MM at the same time as we released it. I suggest you enquire direct with them for more detail.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889578

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 11:34

Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 11:34
Seriously Michelle?

You don't have any interest in finding out for yourselves or any other EO customer via Memory Map? So every EO user has to make individual enquiries instead of you checking on your product on everyone's behalf?

That is a surprising answer to me..
FollowupID: 889584

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 11:53

Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 11:53
No you misunderstand me. If the customers show enough interest by contacting them direct then perhaps MM might make the release a higher priority.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889585

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 12:22

Saturday, Mar 24, 2018 at 12:22
Yep I'll buy that Michelle, fair enough.

I'll ask them by email. Good idea.
FollowupID: 889586

Sponsored Links