GPS

We are thinking of updating our GPS, any suggestions. Were thinking of a Garmin but so many models hard to work out which one would be the best. Sue
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 02:07

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 02:07
Just wondering what you use a GPS for Sue / Warwick.
You obviously have one already, just you feel it's outdated ?
What have you got now and how is it lacking in doing what you want ?

Not many use then nowadays from my personal observation, maybe bushwalking but then most use maps / compass still for main nav.
They are good for breadcrumb track when on foot.

In vehicles, most have moved to i devices / android type notebooks running more modern apps / mapping / navigation software.
AnswerID: 617900

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:05

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:05
"What have you got now and how is it lacking in doing what you want ? "

I think that's a very important question - as there are a great range of features and option.

We all use low cost Garmin Nuvi's for general road driving but they just don't hack it when making your own tracks into new country.

When it comes to getting serious we find that no map system is always accurate and so we need the ability to generate an appropriate track & Waypoints and load them into a more capable product , and we all use Garmin 276c or there latest version 276cx.

These units cost several times what a Nuvi does but offer a range of advantages and even still use buttons for input , and are not restricted to North up / or limited resolution commercial maps.
Whatever you do make sure you have general paper maps, the other day I was with someone trying to get to an address in the city and try as they could , first the touch screen became very difficult to use as many do in very low humidiy , anyway ,with careful use they got an address in only to find it wasn't accepted.

Several goes later and after quite some frustration they gave up , whereupon I pulled out the street directory and went straight to it.

In this particular case the street had 2 names and the common use one wasn't the one the GPS used so could not locate.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 889745

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:10

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:10
Hi Robin, who is "we all"? You used this term and "we" several times, just wanting to know who the "we" is.

Thanks Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 889746

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 12:39

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 12:39
Hi Macca

Probably should have made that clear but we go 4wding with a regular group of friends and we all tend to use the same equipment to maximize ease of use and minimize spares etc.
One of my jobs is to create plots for more wayout trips and because we all have same GPS its easy to create common uploadable files and give instructions over radios etc to say "Call up a named waypoint".
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 889750

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 16:24

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 16:24
Hi Robin, thanks for the clarity. We (my family) travel a lot together, and we tend to share equipment also. We travel with an EPIRB & Sat Phone, and use a Hema Navigator for Off Road, and the in car navigator for city driving.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 889752

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 06:29

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 06:29
I run a Garmin with topo maps plus street maps.
Also have Oziexplorer with Hema maps and others on the in dash unit.
Between the two I'm happy. I have the Garmin on permanently and just use Ozi when Garmin becomes helpless.
AnswerID: 617901

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 07:35

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 07:35
I find a combination works best for me.
A Hema Navigator running OziExplorer and EOTopo Maps. Also has the full range of Hema Maps supplied with the unit. This I use to show our progress and record our trip. always runs in Off-Road mode. I don't like the Street View option, which cannot be used concurrently, thus a separate device.

A TomTom used for pre-planning and is also exceptional while driving, indicating ETA at the next destination. Works extremely well in Cities, built up areas and remote country as well. Shows destination to next fuel point which is also great when determining when you need to refill.
Also handy for indicating roadwoks with its enabled traffic option and for those who like to push the limits of how fast they drive, indicates known speedtraps.

I have tried both Garmin and TomTom Go and found the TomTom has much more reference to the more remote towns and points of interest.
The TomTom Go 620 currently sells for under $300.and is perported to load quicker than my GO 6100. Comes with lifetime map updates and Traffic notification.
AnswerID: 617902

Reply By: Member BarryG - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 07:55

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 07:55
I use only an iPad Mini.
Around town I use the free Navmii app. This gives voice guidance as well as up-to-date vector mapping and works offline (no 3G/4G data after the initial install).
Out bush, I use the ExplorOz Traveller app with the excellent EOTopo maps.

Barry
AnswerID: 617903

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 09:05

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 09:05
I use my Samsung tablet with the ExplorOz Traveller app - it's a great app
AnswerID: 617904

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 09:55

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 09:55
I've always used Garmin units, Sue, and have Hema 4WD Maps on an iPad, for off road work. I buy units with a moderately large screen, and in $200-300 price range.

The Garmin is used mainly as an accurate speedo, and for knowing ETA where I'm travelling to. Occasionally use the GPS function in areas we're not familiar with.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617905

Reply By: noggins - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:38

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:38
My Garmin has an unfortunate tendency to find the most indirect route to a near point.
Once in Brisbane it took me around the block and thru a railway car park to get to a point that just continuing on to the next corner and doing a left turn would have go me there a lot quicker.

Then there was the trip to Dan Murphy's in Boronia Vic , trip up 2 streets before the "center car park" down thru the car park, then a right then left and over the intersection of Dorset Rd 2 more loops and there I was .
( If I was stupid enough to follow it that was, But I just continued on and did a right turn, another thru the island and Viola ! .......... saved me at least 20 minutes of delays )

It's got to the point that I minimise the map and then do my own thing, then after several requests to do a U turn it settles down to the quickest ... Sometimes that is.

Try setting it at Hyden (WA ) and ask for Norseman , all restrictions off , dirt allowed , then get a setting that takes you thru Esperance , 500 + K's
Direct to Norseman via dirt Rd about 250 K's,

Anyone got a solution for this junk appliance ?
AnswerID: 617906

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:16

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 11:16
Noggins, you must have your preferences set to 'Tourist Mode'. lol
Try the 'WPB' option.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 889748

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 18:29

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 18:29
Isn't that strange Noggin, I've used Garmins for years and never had those problems. Maybe check your setting.
I do know that the GPS will send you 1 way if you for example you enter 67-----Street and send you another way if you chose a street number on the opposite side of the same road. The GPS want to always put you on the correct side of the road so that you don't have to 'cross' the road so as a result the GPS takes you on a round about journey.
FollowupID: 889772

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 12:05

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 12:05
As others have said, what is best for you depends on what you want to do with it.

For us, the in-car navigator in the BT50 is quite good, with quite excellent minor roads and tracks coverage for a street navigator. But it does have its quirks, like occasionally thinking a street is in a different (adjacent) suburb to what is commonly known. Fine if you know the area and can guess. Not so if you're in a strange city.

For touring navigation we use a 9.7 inch Android tablet running two apps simultaneously.

One is Ozi Explorer with a large suite of maps of different scales, including a Hema package with the Geoscience Australia 250k series and EOTopo.

The other is EO Traveller for trip logging, Places, camp sites, etc. Also, in cities and towns where there is mobile service it doubles as a large screen, large scale street navigator by way of its on-line Streets and Paths map.

By choosing between the two apps and the vehicle's navigator, we can get a close up view with turn by turn detail and instructions on a large scale map, plus an overview of where I am in the big picture on a small scale map. This system works very well for us in all scenarios.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617909

Reply By: Member - Sue & Warwick - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 16:44

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 16:44
Many thanks to all who have replied. Sue n Warwick
AnswerID: 617910

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 20:05

Thursday, Mar 29, 2018 at 20:05
Hi

Really need to know what you plan on using the "GPS" before any definitive answer can be provided. There are in a variety of scenarious and different GPS units are better suited for some applications than others (e.g the best in car unit is useless for hiking) . What exactly do you plan on doing with it?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 889753

Reply By: Member - johnat - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 17:54

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 17:54
The reality is, though that what you are asking for is a recommendation for a GPS Navigator, not just a GPS.

And the other reality is that it depends very much, as others have said, on what you expect it to do for you.
We have not got a dedicated navigator, instead, we use a tablet with a free navigator app installed. That way we do not have to worry about it getting stolen while we are away from the vehicle, as the tablet goes with us. We also have the ability to use the tablet for a host of other things when stopped/camped up. Additionally, the app uses free (user updated) maps, and can use the EOTopo app as well. So it becomes one device for multiple uses.
AnswerID: 617973

Sponsored Links