Scanguage

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:52
ThreadID: 136490 Views:2941 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is having a scanguage to show trouble codes likely to help a mechanical illiterate
Like me when faced with trouble in remote areas?
I am not really interested in all the fuel consumption detail etc but being able to
Relay trouble codes over a satellite phone to a mechanic seems to me to probably
Help.
Your thoughts
Ross Nielsen
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 12:01

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 12:01
As long as my fuel gauge works I can tell within a litre or so how much I have used and don't try to use my scangauge to calculate fuel, Just another thing to be bothered with at filling time. Waste of time.
BUT
I use a scangauge to indicate water temp and actual road speed and other functions.
On some autos the fluid temp can be shown which is an advantage to ID or prevent transmission overheating by taking appropriate actions. Saves cooking both the auto and engine.
ALSO
the scangauge can be used by someone else, or your self, to identify the area where a problems lies. as long as you carry a list of codes with you appropriate to the vehicle. Investigation may reveal it is a simple fix and your trip not ruined.
Even if you cannot rectify the fault, a passerby may be proficient enough to make a diagnosis using the scanned codes.You may be able to ID it yourself, ie, split turbo hose or similar fault.
For the cost of the device, if it saves you, just once, from from needing costly towing or roadside help it is good.
As well as that, if you scan codes before having a service, you know to a fairly accurate degree if the repair/service agent is reasonably honest or corrupt and greedy by stating untrue claims for additonal work or faults which don't exist.
All pretty obvious really.
AnswerID: 617938

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 12:49

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 12:49
Scangauge only has a very basic capability for code reading - is really a secondary function to fuel and engine management.

If you are not in interested in its main functionally and want a code reader I would look for something more suited.
AnswerID: 617939

Reply By: Member - Racey - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 13:53

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 13:53
Hi Ross, I use Scangauge on my 200 series cruiser to monitor Average fuel consumption, Current fuel consumption, Manifold pressure and Transmission temperature. Most of our driving in the 200 is towing and these four parameters are very helpful monitoring what is happening with the mechanics, particularly transmission temperature.

You can see error codes but you need the list of codes and their meaning to really make sense of them. The Scanguage manual list some of the common ones.
AnswerID: 617941

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 14:05

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 14:05
I have a Scangauge II in my Pajero. I bought it mainly to monitor the turbo boost (on a long hill, I didn't want to be melting pistons etc). I monitor coolant temperature and boost. These are the important items fro me. The other 2 items I monitor are Voltage and Inlet Air Temperature. If I had an automatic transmission, I would certainly monitor the fluid temperature.

You can buy an Ultragauge, which I think is a better unit - it can display up to 8 parameters, and it also has an alarm function (missing in the Scangauge). The only problem wit hthe Ultraguage is that you have to buy it in the USA, whereas you can get a Scangauge locally.
AnswerID: 617942

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 14:08

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 14:08
Our scangauge saved us last year as we were able to reset a fault code on the turbo intercooler blockage on our challenger when we were half way between Innaminka and Arrabury.We were in limp mode every 5-10km and then i would reset the code and continue. Without gauge would have been a costly tow recovery being 100's of kilometres from anywhere. I was also able to fault the turbo hose leak when able to check boost and see that we were nowhere hear 15-18lbs only pushing 5-7lbs boost when under boost. I have had ours for 3 cars now and would not be without it. Just being able to see what are normal engine parameters so when things go wrong you are able to pinpoint the issue in the middle of the desert.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617943

Reply By: Darian - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 14:46

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 14:46
Though it can provide info on a good number of techno-parameters, I bought mine purely to confirm transmission fluid temperature at any time (200 series TD, towing an offroad van). On the face of it, transmission fluid shouldn't get hotter than the engine coolant I suppose, but then, it probably does at times...better to know what IS actually going on in there, than to be 'in the dark' I say :-).
AnswerID: 617944

Follow Up By: RMD - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 15:30

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 15:30
I agree, about engine water temp is good for fluid temp but Auto fluid often gets to much higher than, "the engine is stuffed/cooked" temperature.

Fluid lights seem to come on around 140C maybe a bit above and go off about 130C. Both are temp well above what you ever want the engine to get to.
FollowupID: 889770

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 15:02

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 15:02
Ross,
Some say you can't reset codes with the scangauge 2 to get you mobile when you really have to but you can.

Note the code address and turn off the engine, turn the ignition on without starting the engine and then clear codes. You can normally download different manufacturer codes, I know my vehicle has 1300 codes all up.

It is very handy for drive train and engine monitoring.

AnswerID: 617945

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 17:43

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 17:43
Over the last 5 years, my stock standard 200series has thrown a code - one was an EGR code and the other was when crawling on low range. Both times cleared the codes with scangauge and never saw them again.
Can google the codes to get a list of what they mean, or check the workshop manual.
AnswerID: 617946

Follow Up By: Erad - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 22:35

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 22:35
I have an app for my smart phone which is called 'Check engine Light'. This gives specific codes for my vehicle (a Pajero), but also all the main manufacturers as well. Not sure if they are maker specific or generiic, but it gives you a good idea of what to look for should you get a code come up. Who knows, I may help someone else stranded somewhere to identify a problem and get them going again.

My friend also calls on me when his Landbruiser throws a code. I then strip the Scangauge out of my car and plug it into his and he reads the code and then tries to fix the problem. We clear the code no problems, but sometimes the problem has not been cleared so the code comes back.
FollowupID: 889775

Sponsored Links