Troopy fuel filter

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 20:37
ThreadID: 136491 Views:4927 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone advise if the Ryco fuel filter z380 was replaced by fuel filter z252x to suit 2001 troopy diesel.The Ryco chart shows z252x but my existing filter is z380.
Is there any difference?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mudripper - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 20:42

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 20:42
I had the same experience with my 1HD-T 80 series. Found out that both filters (Z252 and Z380) are interchangeable.
Cheers and Happy Easter,
Tim
AnswerID: 617948

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 21:30

Saturday, Mar 31, 2018 at 21:30
My recollection is that The Z380 is taller than the Z252x but they both fit.
AnswerID: 617949

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 00:33

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 00:33
Thanks for the feedback which will make me feel more confident in fitting the z252x filter.By the way my 2001 Troopy has never let me down and will be doing another round Aus trip at 350000kms ( just run in).
AnswerID: 617950

Reply By: RMD - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 15:29

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 15:29
One filter may be a finer micron size than the other, because if the same filter then the same number.
AnswerID: 617965

Reply By: Ron N - Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 21:06

Sunday, Apr 01, 2018 at 21:06
The Ryco Z252X is a shorter body filter, produced because the longer filter body of the Z380 caused interference problems on some newer models that have a tighter clearance fuel filter assembly fit.

There is no internal design, or filtering material differences, between the two Ryco filters.

You may find serious differences in filter design and filtering ability, between Ryco filters and "Brand X" filters.

The cheaper filter differences can be -

1. Less filter paper used, with bigger gaps between the pleats. This simply means less filtering ability.

2. Differences in inner and outer dimensions of the filter paper assembly. Cheaper filters often have a large inner dimension and a smaller outer dimension of the filter paper assembly, than the original manufacturers filter, or a well-known brand name.
Once again - less filtering ability.

3. Filter paper used in the cheaper "Brand X" filters can be thinner or have a higher micron number filtering ability. Result? Bigger particles of dirt or rust going through the filter and therefore through your fuel injection system.

4. Differences in thickness and size of the metal casing, meaning less physical strength in the filter, thus allowing the possibility of rupture.

Aftermarket filter manufacturers are nearly always obliged to deviate from the original manufacturers component specifications, due to "registered design" laws, and even patents.

A registered design prevents copying of the component for 6 years after its introduction, and protects the manufacturers from rapid price undercutting by aftermarket manufacturers.

When you buy a filter, ask to see the manufacturers warranty. Even Ryco have a long and detailed warranty giving them plenty of "outs" to refuse an engine damage claim.

Most aftermarket filter manufacturers will give a 12 mth warranty on their product. That simply means they'll give you a new filter, and laugh at your complaint about your motor that was buggered up by their crook filter.

Ryco, along with others, will offer to replace any component damaged by one of their filters.
The problem is, Ryco demand that you produce the faulty filter, and they then examine it, and decide themselves whether it failed as a result of a manufacturing fault. If they decide their filter wasn't faulty, you're out on a limb.

If Ryco do decide the filter is faulty, then they limit their payout only to components that were actually damaged by the filter - not any consequent damage.
This can still leave you with a hefty repair bill, if the "consequent damage" from their faulty filter is substantial.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 617978

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 13:58

Monday, Apr 02, 2018 at 13:58
We bought a couple of 80 series turbo wagons in the '90's, and later an HDJ79 ute, so often used the Ryco Z380 filter for them. At one stage, I was made aware of a 2nd genuine fuel filter that was available for fitting to the turbo engines. This was a longer filter than the Z380, with about 20-30% larger element fitted, and still had the water trap at the bottom.

If I still ran one of the 6 cyl Turbo engines, this is the way I'd be going, with perhaps a Z380/252 as a spare.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617996

Sponsored Links