Good A/T tyres

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 08:56
ThreadID: 136505 Views:4518 Replies:11 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am in the market for A/T Tyres for my pathfinder. A mate swears by BF Goodrich K02. The sales people try to steer me away from them. I noticed there is a positive thread going on here about General A/T. A question I have is what brand/s is most readily available in outback towns, just in case you damage just one tyre and need to replace it.? I'm open to any other brands and feedback. Thanks Col

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 11:04

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 11:04
I've had about 7 sets of BFG A/Ts over two Patrols since 1999. I get over 100,000ks from a set as long as you rotate them and I have never had a puncture that I can remember. I'm on my second set of KO 2 and they are very quiet in my opinion. For around $1000 for a set of 4, I think they are good value and I never really think about changing brands or trying something different. It seems to work for me. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618036

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 15:13

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 15:13
Hi Michael

What size tyres are you running to get them for $250 a tyre?

A couple of years ago I priced them for my Prado with tyre size of 265/65 X 17 and wanted shy on $400 per tyre, the Bridgestone A/T 697 LT were $320 per tyre compared to the new Toyo A/T 2 Open Country LT at $240 fitted and balanced, which I ended up getting and are proving one of the best tyres I have ever had.

I had the BFG's on the camper, but they chipped so badly, I got rid of them and fitted the new Toyo's to that as well, but the size for them is 265/75 X 16 for $230 fitted and balanced.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 889874

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 15:45

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 15:45
Hi Stephen, my last set were 12 months ago so they could be up by now, time goes fast and prices certainly rise. I checked on EBay at the time, Bexley tyre service was the cheapest so I went to them direct and price was the same. I will check exact price, Janet, my wife says they were $265 fitted but I will check exact price. 265x75x16 is the size. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 889875

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 15:52

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 15:52
Stephen, So a slight price increase $285 each
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 889876

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 20:16

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 20:16
Hi Michael

Thanks for that. I just checked eBay for my tyre size and the cheapest was $315 for a single bare tyre.

Not sure how mush freight is, but then with fitting and balancing, makes them getting up in price compared to my $240 per tyre f&b for my Toyo's.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 889891

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 22:53

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 22:53
Stephen, yes 17 inch are more expensive, 16 inch probably still have more volume in sales although 17s shouldn't be too far behind. Lots of 17s around now. I'll have to look into the Toyos, that is so cheap, and 16s probably a tad cheaper again. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 889897

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 12:11

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 12:11
Hi Col,

When looking for good AT's, it can be difficult to "cut through the chaff" to the important details.
I have had Dunlop AT22s (oem Ford), Maxxis AT700, Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Federal Couragia AT, and Khumo AT51 . . .

Most did what I wanted, mostly beach driving, general tracks in SA's mid north, lots of desert trips . . . the only place most ATs will let you down is deserts where there are stakes . . . left from fires where the roots are burnt down to and close to the ground ready to stake tyre, strangely most often in the sidewalls !!??

When looking at AT's what I've found is just about rule out anything that is not LT construction, which should have stronger sidewalls.
Look at a good ply rating, say 8 or 10 ply.
Go for the best sidewall protection you can, most ply ratings only apply to under the tread, so ask about side walls.

If you have 16" rims, I believe the most common aftermarket tyre is 265/75/16.
There really are a huge range of OEM tyre sizes now, most places would have to cater for these, outback towns you should be ok, stations etc very remote might be a problem with some sizes.

For my next set of 4 (for a 13k inner loop mid year), I am probably going for BFG all terrain T/A KO2, or if the sidewalls are good, Toyo Open Country AT II.

Outsiders may be the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10, or the Bridgesone Dueler AT697, again a side wall check will decide.
AnswerID: 618039

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 12:38

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 12:38
Mr Hop, to answer your question, in my experience, BFG's are carried by most "outback" tyre fitters, including outback stations that offer servicing & tyre repairs.

You will get a multitude of opinion on tyre choice in a forum, everyone has an opinion based on their preference. I have used BFG's, Coopers & Mickey Thompson. The BFG's & my first set of Coopers were AT's. They both served me well with good mileage and were reasonable quiet.

Be aware that AT's are a compromise, they are basically a highway tyre with an "aggressive" tread pattern, and not a true "off road" tyre. However, they will comfortably handle gravel roads and sand. If you are looking to do a lot of "off road" driving, no matter which brand you buy, you would be better with the next more aggressive tread pattern, without going to a full Mud Terrain.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618046

Follow Up By: Gronk - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 18:55

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 18:55
Be aware that AT's are a compromise, they are basically a highway tyre with an "aggressive" tread pattern, and not a true "off road" tyre. However, they will comfortably handle gravel roads and sand. If you are looking to do a lot of "off road" driving, no matter which brand you buy, you would be better with the next more aggressive tread pattern, without going to a full Mud Terrain.

I'm a bit confused........what tyre is more aggressive than an AT, but isn't a MT ?
FollowupID: 889886

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 20:08

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 20:08
Sure, tread is important sometimes, but I am fairly sure it's more construction that makes a good off road tyre.

I have an Dunlop AT22 fitted at the moment on the front, baically looks like a road tyre, but pretty good build.

A Khumo AT51 on the back I can push on the sidewall with a bit of whatever and it's soft, can push it in 5mm to 6mm no probs.
Can't move the Dunlop half that much in the same place.

The AT22s did a good job on virtually all terrain the Flinders and mid north (talking station tracks like Bendleby, Hopes Gully, Argadells, many others) and did very well for the tread pattern.

I'm just looking for slightly more aggressive tread to assist with self cleaning in occasional light mud and such, plus the extra traction a slightly more open, chunkier tread offers.

ATs in LT construction will certainly perform well off road, but ATs in PC construction are better suited to the light vehicles / work, a step up from HT tyres.
FollowupID: 889888

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 12:53

Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 12:53
Hi Gronk, take a look at the Cooper Discovery S/T, a bit more aggressive than the A/T, but not as much as the SS/T. Mickey Thompson also have a similar choice (Same parent company). There are others out there that are also similar.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 889913

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 13:15

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 13:15
BFG KO2 are LT tyres.
My only gripe with my KO (1S?) is that they are very harsh with small bumps as the AFAIR 117 load rating would indicate.
Just be aware that KO2 are LT and therefore have a high load rating and stiff sidewalls but that makes them harsh.
I have had BFG ATs since 1977 when they were fabric.
I have never had a puncture off road.
My next tyres will probably be KO2s
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 618050

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 15:20

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 15:20
Hi Mr Hop

Over the years we have had quite of few brands of L/T tyre, including Bridgestone, Cooper, Dunlop and we are now using the new Toyo Open Country A/T 2 in LT construction.

We go into some remote locations and after 2 years of faultless travels, I am rating these as my best ever tyre.

Higher load rating over the Bridgestone LT 697's, and 10 ply rating compared to 8 on the old Bridgstones and they are made in Japan.

For value for money, you can not go past the new Toyo's.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 618054

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 21:46

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 21:46
A big x's 2 for Toyo !!
FollowupID: 889895

Reply By: Theo D - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 16:23

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 16:23
My last vehicle had a set of Yokohama Geolander AT2's on them and they did spot on 110K. They could have done much more than that too had I run slightly less pressure in them as the centres scrubbed out much faster then the sides. They were all rotated every 10K with 2 other spares too.

This was mainly highway use, say 75% and 25% running around the bush.

They were never a problem, think they were $260ea for 265/75/16. They were brilliant on dirt but they did struggle a little in the mud.

Only gripe was stone drilling. They were very prone to collecting more stones and then letting the stones go at high speed. Use to scare the bajeesus out of me.

Currently have Falken Wildpeak AT3's on my 105 Series. They came brand new with the car and so far very impressed but early days yet. They are also a light truck tyre like the Yokos. At $230ea I priced them at I would certainly go them again.

Think there are many AT that can get you 100K now and be a good tyre for you.
AnswerID: 618055

Reply By: Hoyks - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 16:29

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 16:29
I too have been through a few tyres.
On my Terrano II I had some Yokohama AT's when I bought it, they were good on road, but melted on a the Hume on a hot day. Rubber was so soft that they went tacky and had gravel was sticking in them, despite being over recommended pressures. They suffered badly from cupping on the edges and didn't last that long.

I had some Bridgestone's, they were OK but only got around 60000km out of them. They were relatively cheap, so I went another set.
Big mistake as they died to sidewall cuts from driving a gravel road less than a week after getting them fitted. Expensive weekend away.

From there I saved up and bought BF Goodrich T/A's, they were great, easily 80000km before I stuck some Silverstone's with a similar pattern on it to sell it.
Overall a really good tyre good off road, even in muddy conditions. When they were 3/4 worn they did get a bit slippy on wet tar though.

From there I inherited an old ute that had some cheap Chinese things on it that refused to wear out. I replaced them with Cooper A/T3's, they were OK, but I didn't ask too much of them either.

I bought a new ute with stock Bridgestone's that were lucky to make 40000km.

Now is again BF Goodrich. Right now I have T/A's with around 70000km (I was swapping between them and the stock tyres) on them and based on previous experience I wouldn't hesitate to get them again. They have a nice flat tread face, so more rubber on the road and the sidewall doesn't appear to be as vulnerable There is also a rubber bead that sticks out and protects the rim from gutter rash to some extent.
I rate them highly.

Shopping around you can get them for around $300 a corner, which works out reasonably priced considering their life. Try Tyresales, but I got about the same price from Bob Jane.
AnswerID: 618056

Reply By: Member - nick b boab - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 21:09

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 21:09
G,Day Col : you got a lot of good replies from people well traveled that would know .
but IMO the big $$$ tyres are a very hard ride . we have had cooper micky's etc
in the last 10 year lots of different brands & travels ( Kimberly's cape york , Simpson etc , the only time i'v had a flat is around town with screw etc in them ,
I'm now running bridgestone 8 ply , much to my surprise .... lol .... but a nicer ride .
A lot will come down to how you drive , the harder you drive the tuffer the tyre you will need . And as Les has said pick a common size .... not a brand .
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 618059

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 21:49

Wednesday, Apr 04, 2018 at 21:49
I've bought Toyo AT II, in 265.74R16 size, to replace the original Dunlops on my 79 series ute. $300 each, fitted & balanced.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 618060

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 02:23

Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 02:23
Same here Bob just a different size, bit of initial wear at first but they settled down and have been a very good tyre, I will be replacing them with the same in not the to distant future.
FollowupID: 889904

Reply By: Graham G4 - Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 14:25

Thursday, Apr 05, 2018 at 14:25
It's a bit like Ford and Holden, I think most tyres are pretty good now.

I've always used the Goodrich All Terrains and they've been really good.

I like them because they are quiet on the road and good off road, bearing in mind as we are in Australia there is always a long stretch of bitumen to travel to get to your amazing off-road adventure!!
AnswerID: 618064

Follow Up By: Gronk - Friday, Apr 06, 2018 at 19:49

Friday, Apr 06, 2018 at 19:49
Yep, pick a well known brand.....LT....make sure they're black......and you won't have any problems..lol
FollowupID: 889941

Reply By: Steve - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 13:09

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 13:09
Any opinions on Hankook Dynapros? Was looking at some last week and liked the look of the tread. I think they might be a softer tyre with better grip on wet tar but less mileage from them. Not much over $200 per...
AnswerID: 618103

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 15:53

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 15:53
These are on my short list to check out in a few weeks . . .
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10

This blulb under tyre details says "With reinforced under-tread gauge, thick sidewalls and reinforced carcass, this all-terrain tyre provides plenty of protection against cuts and tears, both on and off the road."

But after several beands to date and a couple of rumpers in there, I am not about to spend near $800 without checking this for myself.

The spiel doesn't say if they are LT construction.
FollowupID: 889955

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 17:15

Saturday, Apr 07, 2018 at 17:15
That’s the one, Les. Liked the blocky tread.
112T... does that T denote the load rating?
I was quoted $212 fitted.
FollowupID: 889958

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 07:26

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 07:26
Steve, 112 is the load carrying rating and T is the speed rating. The tyre must have LT on it and in the description. It will have a higher load carrying capacity also.
It would be advertised something like Hankook Dynapro AT tyre size LT 265/75/16
FollowupID: 889983

Sponsored Links