Awning Flappers

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 09:00
ThreadID: 136518 Views:2441 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We have a standard Jayco fold out awning and need some flapper. Can anyone recommend a good brand and how many would we need and how are they fitted?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: baznpud - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 09:29

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 09:29
Google awning flappers, and all will be exposed. We purchased some Camec Flappers a few months back, think they were about $35, you will only need two.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618124

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 12:09

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 12:09
Do you have a pop-top or a full size van? If you have a full-size van, then you can buy an anti-flapper kit which fits to each horizontal arm about half way out, and after deployment of the awning, you can clamp the awning material into the jaws of the kit. However, this usually doesn't work for a pop-top because the awning is above the horizontal arm and the anti-flapper device won't reach (it would have been nice if Jayco told me this before I bought the kit). If you have a pop top, you can pass a rope over the awning and tie it each end to the horizontal arms, which works quite well. Alternatively you can buy canvas clamps which you can tie with velcro to the horizontal arms after the awning is deployed.
AnswerID: 618136

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 12:17

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 12:17
We started out with 4 of the small anti flap clamps and found them useless.

Finally bit the bullet and purchased the anti flap bars http://aussietraveller.com.au/products/caravan-awnings/sunburst-caravan-awning/anti-flap-kit

Might cost a bit more but we have kept them when trading the van and they have now paid for themselves well and truly over the last 12 years.
AnswerID: 618137

Reply By: Member - Racey - Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 12:22

Sunday, Apr 08, 2018 at 12:22
Hi Johno, I tried several different anti flappers of basically the same design; clamping onto the awning material with a strap looping around the awning support rail. They are ,in my opinion, only marginally effective. Last year I bit the bullet and bought an Aussie Traveller Anti Flap kit which clamps the complete edge of the awning. One end of the clamp is attached to the van, the other end to the awning roller. The end result is NO flapping. Intermediate supports may be added along the length of the awning which improves appearance and effectiveness. They are not cheap but worth it.Aussie Traveller Anti-flap Kit
AnswerID: 618138

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Apr 14, 2018 at 17:56

Saturday, Apr 14, 2018 at 17:56
They do look pretty neat these kits. Only doubts I have is apart from being yet another job to do/thing to carry (does it ever end.?) ... but after experiencing strong winds, both resulting in losing an awning, I just think these things don’t really help if you need to quickly wind it in as a big blow approaches.

FollowupID: 890223

Sponsored Links