Camping on Gary Junction Road

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 18:21
ThreadID: 136572 Views:5718 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The permit to transit the Gary Junction Road states that the NT section should be passed through in a day with no camping, but in an emergency you can camp within thirty metres of the road. What do most people do, as its a very long stage for a day.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 18:25

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 18:25
Hi Lowan

One time when we were on Gary Junction Road, we were running out of daylight and camped on the side of the road in a well out of the way little spot.

Our fire could be seen from the road and at no stage did any vehicle low down and check us out. Mind you there were only about 3 vehicles and they were all travelling East at a fast pace.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618386

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 19:03

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 19:03
In 2016 I towed a van across the Gary Junction Road, I just found a spot maybe 20 metres off the road and set up for the night.

May have been lucky, but did not see or hear a car all night, around 08:30 a couple of 4X4's went past, tooted the horn and gave us a wave.

There is no shortage of places where you can do this.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 618387

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 19:22

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 19:22
By 4 o'clock in the afternoon my eyes tend to close, thats an emergency.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 618388

Reply By: splits - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 21:55

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 21:55
The permit to transit the Gary Junction Road states that the NT section should be passed through in a day with no camping
---------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I drove out from Alice to Kintore about four years ago taking two days to get there.. Our first camp spot was off the side of the road and the second on what is left of the original road at Sandy Blight Junction. A few cars went past but nobody said anything.

While refueling at Kintore, I mentioned something about my permit to the man running the shop. His reply was nobody worries about permits out here.
AnswerID: 618391

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 22:41

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 22:41
I have camped along that road numerous times As long as you have a travel permit, show respect to the land managers and the environment, and leave no visible evidence of where you camped I do not think the locals will be to concerned.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890374

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 23:34

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 23:34
We stopped at Lizard Bore well away from the road. Heaps of room and had been well camped in. We found it when stopping to look at the Len Beadell Plaque, just in time for the night.

"Lizard Bore. Ten kilometres west of Mount Liebig community on the Gary Junction Road, at a Len Beadell plaque on the south side of the road. Accessed by a track which runs well away from the road, near an old tank and bore which has been decommissioned. No amenities."
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618393

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2018 at 00:26

Thursday, Apr 19, 2018 at 00:26
A couple of years ago, we pulled off into the mulga between Kintore and Papunya. It was a Sunday (and footy day) so no fuel at Kintore, so we planned on getting fuel at Papunya the following morning. Had a small fire going and an old Prado with many passengers saw our tracks in and came back to stop. A young local girl came to see us and asked for diesel. We had none. Then she said they were short of money. And then she said did we have any smokes.
It was a bit unnerving at the time but they then left us alone.
AnswerID: 618396

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Apr 19, 2018 at 06:25

Thursday, Apr 19, 2018 at 06:25
Blackfella humbug. They nearly always get the women/girls to do their bidding. Seen it hundreds of times. Something you get used to. Just say "sorry mate , got nothing spare and dont smoke"....Mostly pretty harmless...just looking for a handout.
FollowupID: 890376

Reply By: Greg J1 - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 18:48

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 18:48
Jupiter well is about the nicest place to camp on the Gary Junction Road. Suppose it depends on the time of day you get there
Cheers
AnswerID: 618516

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 21:51

Wednesday, Apr 25, 2018 at 21:51
We stayed the weekend there, and enjoyed good company from a group doing the same who were travelling in the opposite direction.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 890544

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 16:23

Thursday, Apr 26, 2018 at 16:23
Motherhen, It is those memories that make traveling around such a great pastime.

Cheers Greg

FollowupID: 890557

Sponsored Links