Opinions on 1989 L/C Sahara Auto Turbo Diesel

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 13:58
ThreadID: 13658 Views:3858 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Currently I am looking at a LOCAL (not imported) 1989 Landcruiser Sahara Auto Turbo Diesel with 250K on the clock for $135000 and wondering if anyone has experience on this kind of truck. I saw it often on the street and in the bush and they seem run well. The seller said he has renew the turbo unit because it is suggested on the owner manual, not sure if this is just to cover up the turbo probelm or this is a genuiue requirement.

The 12HT engine is supposed to run up to 500,000 if well maintained, however the other parts like trans, brakes, axles may not be able to survive that long. Given 250K on the odimeter now, NOT sure how many Ks will I be able to squeexe out of this old lady.

I know 60 series L/C subject to rust and where to look into, Is there a list of places I should pay attention to before purchase, in term of engine, trans,transfer case, axle, Does someone know where to find a reputable diesel mech. in sunshine coast area near GlassHouse mountain area. alternatively I may approach RACQ doe mech inspection although RACQ may not have the depth of Turbo Diesel.

Any feedback or comments are welcomed
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NathanK - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 14:40

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 14:40
i think $135000 would be a tad too much.... $13,500 would be more reasonable!! :)
AnswerID: 62640

Reply By: Davoe - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 15:22

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 15:22
the 12ht motor is considered to be by some to be one of the best motors strapped into a toyota and the running gear is as good as it gets in a yota big diffs back and front (same centre - if the back diff starts whining swap it for the front and get another 100k out of it) dont know much about the autos but I have not heard of any specific problems. Autos should prolong the life of the other mechanicals because they dont brush teeth kangaroo hop etc etc there should be no reason why it cant go another 250k except if it wasnt treated well previosly. you are on the right track getting it checked properly proffesionly because buying a 4wd diesal lemon will cost you more than the war against terrororism to fix. in my opinion toyota didnt make a better off road tourer than the 60s all they did after was make them better on road
AnswerID: 62648

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 17:32

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 17:32
This is the best model in the 60.
if u can cope with the suspension, you will have a reliable cruiser for years, the turbo will last as long as the motor, and the golden rule is 5000km oil changes.
Look for rust in the roof gutters and around the windows. The transfer case may be in need of attention, the autos, like the motor, will last for ever if serviced regularly, and not mistreated.
Happy hunting
Andrew
AnswerID: 62659

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:59

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:59
The others have summed it up pretty well.I would just like to mention checking the front axle seals for leakage onto the knuckle joints.Costs about $6-700 inc bearing repack.Often reqiures the front discs to be replaced at the same time if they have more than 1mm wear.
Steering boxes are usually replaced about this time so look for leaks and movement.$700?
If any repairs are needed I would definately expect it to be taken off the asking price.
One of the best things about these is the abundance of new and used spares.
A lot of 60 series parts are interchangeable with 70 series.
AnswerID: 62711

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 23:50

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 23:50
All I can say is again, the others have summed it up. You will never regret the day you went with a tried and true 4wd tourer, Just look at post above and the bull that poor Angie is and will go through after spending big bucks a few years ago on a so called good 4wd tourer.
Sure you may need to spend a few dollars now and down the track but it will repay you with good service if you look after it.
Happy 4wding an see ya on the track one day.
AnswerID: 62736

Reply By: tour boy - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:20

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:20
Hi running a 1988 62 series sahara 362000km (petrol) never even had the head off.
Recently towed 4.5m centre console boat from Lithgow NSW to bagara QLD via the pacific Hwy and back via the burnett to the new england hwy and cross country from muswellbrook to ryalstone (the corrugations nearly killed the boat) and home.
it used about 400ml of oil and I think that most of that was from the leaking rear main. This is the only oil leak in the whole vehicle.
The LSD in the 60 series is pretty good never had to rebuild one.
Had a 1985 with a 350chev the only probs was the chev, the 88gx and a 1989vx auto. The 89 was the best of the lot never a problem.
Rust wise the front pillar inside the door near the top of the windscreen. Water from the sunroof runs down and out thru this area. Around the sunroof itself and the bottom of the front and rear guards. Basically top trucks.
The only thing I would ask about the turbo model is if the head has been recoed as a head in top nick for the life of the motor can increase the longevity up to 200,000km.
Enjoy
AnswerID: 62755

Follow Up By: Chenj3 @ Brissy - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 17:28

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 17:28
Thank you Tour Boy,

Thank you for your valuable info and I will look have a RACQ or similar inspector give it a thorough check out.

"head has been recoe", DO you means the cylinder head on the engine?

Thank you for your help .
FollowupID: 324081

Reply By: pathfinder - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 13:22

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 13:22
friend has same mechanicals with similar kays. Motor seems like it will go forever. However, he has had to have his auto box rebuilt (worn splines/backlash or something) and it was v. expensive and some parts hard to get. He's also had rear diff work. Vehicle has been well-cared for but was used for towing so that could have been the prob with drivetrain wear...
AnswerID: 62784

Sponsored Links