engine and turbo replaced.nissan patrol 3litre

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 14:22
ThreadID: 13661 Views:4419 Replies:8 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2000 3litre turbo diesel Patrol.I am one of the lucky ones to have had my motor replaced at 83,000kms.(under warranty).New clutch at 108,000kms (could be my driving Im a woman). 115,000 muffler split where it has a bend in it Nissan agree to pay50% head mechanic at dealership says it should have never happened.128,000kms Turbo goes,head mechanic talks to nissan ,they agree to give me $1000 towards the $2,330.04 bill for the turbo.140,000kms Turbo goes again.This time I knew the symtems of a turbo that is not quite right and sounds as if its ready to go again.Bingo,Hume Highway Turbo dies smoke pouring from exhaust loss of power.Car trucked to my nissan dealer. New Turbof fitted,tken for test run,fails test drive knock in motor.Well Hello,you guessed it we hwve done the motor again.New motor has only done 57,000kms,new turbo 12,000kms.Nissan saying badluck.Can anybody enlighten me with any information about these problems with any other 3litre patrol that they kne of.I tow a tandem trailer to melbourne one day a week about 250km round trip,trailer weighs about 1.5ton.patrol was sold to me new to tow this trailer and a double horse float.Now dealer is trying to tell me that I have the wrong vehicle to tow the trailer.What a bloody joke. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: madcow - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 14:50

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 14:50
Sorry to hear of your dilema Angie. I would go diretcly to Nissan if there is no satisfaction with your dealer. Make sure you make a note of names, time, date and the topic of the conversation so you can use it fi neccessary. Given that your trailer would weigh about the same as a caravan it is surprising to hear you have had so much bad luck. The 2000 3.0 Patrol is reknowned for it's issues especially with the donk which nissan have finally rectified with the series 111. One would think the new motor would at least have 100,000km warranty on it and regularly serviced.

Good luck and keep us informed

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 62643

Follow Up By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 19:11

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 19:11
Hi Dave,
I have worked extensively in the dealership networks for various brands over vehicle over the years, and it always seems to cause heated debate with customers when they find out the at the warranty laws say that if a replacement part is replaced within the warranty period of a vehicle, it only has to be warrantied for the outstanding amount of the warranty, and not for a full 100,000 (as an example) that may apply to a part bought over the counter privately. That is to say, that if Angie's motor is replaced with a brand new unit at 57,000km, Nissan would only be required to warrant the brand new motor for 43,000km or the balance of the 3 years, whichever is the sooner. This applies to all parts replaced under warranty; something for people to bear in mind next time they're screaming at the service counter.

It does sound like poor Angie has had a rotten run of bad luck. I don't think I've spoken to anybody that would consider buying a series 2, 3.0, and I'd hazard a guess that at the moment, their trading value is considerably less than any other patrol in the range

Cheers,
Nino
FollowupID: 323988

Follow Up By: madcow - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:09

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:09
I was not sure what policies they have in place regarding warranty fixes. What you say sounds feasible and correct but considering that some people have had replacements done at 140,000kms plus and they were not the original owner. In the interest of good PR one would think Nissan would come to the party in some form as they had done previously. I had my doubts about the 3.0 when it was released hence I purchased a 4.2 due to it's proven track record and reliability.

Cheers Dave
FollowupID: 324043

Follow Up By: joc45 - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:45

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:45
Nino, you are, of course, quite correct regarding the mfr's liability and the total warranty period. IMHO, what we have here though is not a manufacturing defect or a Monday car, but a major design fault which can affect every 3.0L engine made during that period. Even those lucky people who have passed the 100,000 mark and not have a failure must be sleeping uncomfortably, wondering if and when the engine will fail. And as word spreads (despite the efforts of Nissan to play it down, and the non-involvement/total lack of knowledge by 4wd mags) these series II GUs will be worth virtually nothing after about 150,000, unless it can be shown that they have a later version engine.
Nissan has a moral duty to make good these issues well after warranty.
Just my opinion,
Gerry
FollowupID: 324057

Reply By: joc45 - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 15:16

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 15:16
What a pity Australia doesn't have Lemon laws like in the USA.
Gerry
AnswerID: 62646

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 15:19

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 15:19
So let me get this right, I cannot believe such a run of bad luck.

1) 83K - new motor
2) 108K - new clutch
3) 115K - new muffler
4) 128K - new turbo
5) 140K - new turbo
6) 140K - new motor now required

1) The initial new motor was a known problem and was rectified, nothing that unusual for a series 2 here.

2) The new clutch "may" be driving style, but is very early (and relatively unusual) to have a problem so relatively early.

3) The new muffler, probably a faulty weld as have never heard of this before.

4) The first new turbo, was this replaced with the new motor, or at least looked at? It is possible some damage was sustained when the original motor blew. If it was replaced with the motor, should have been OK. If not replaced and not checked, possible damage from original motor issue (but would have thought it should have shown up earlier than this if so)

5) Another new turbo 12K later. This is just not right!!!

6) Motor now knocking and needing replacement. Just does not make sense. Of ALL the series 2 that have had a motor replacement, I have never heard of another problem with the motor.

All your "unusual" issues start after the new motor was installed. I don't know who installed your motor or who does your vehicle maintenance, but you have had more than bad luck. As suggested above, take this to Nissan Australia (NOT the dealer) and get their response. Nissan usually stand by there products after a bit of a shove. They initially will try to palm you off, but stick to your guns and keep battling. You will find Nissan Australia normally come around.

Keep us informed how you go.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 62647

Follow Up By: Brew69 - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:05

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:05
Is your Patrol a series 2? A mate has a June 2002 3.0td. Is this a series 2? Don't want to scare him if this is the case.

The Brewman
FollowupID: 324006

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:00

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:00
June 2002 is definetly a series 3 (the good motor!). Easiest way to tell is look at the tail lights. If they are top 2/3 clear and bottom 1/3 red, then its a series 3 (series 2 are all red with a small clear section on passenger side for reverse light).

Series 3 motors are proving very reliable, it certainly seems Nissan have got their act togther (could not afford the warranty claims otherwise, look at the sheer number of 3.0TD's on the road)

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 324015

Follow Up By: Rob W. - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:24

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:24
I believe the series 3 patrols went into production after April 2001.
FollowupID: 324054

Follow Up By: DW - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:45

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 11:45
Hello,

Is there any other way to determine whether my Patrol 3.0 is a series II or III. Ie: via the compliance plate.

I have a Build date of Nov 01.
I also have the rear lights that are top 2/3 clear and bottom 1/3 red. But i have the steel wheels not the alloys that come standard now.

Just want to work out whether i should buy the extended warranty for $1000 or not, based on the concerning issues I have read above.

My car currently goes well but i do get some sort of drop in power for a second or so when accelerating from around 60. The power comes on, then off, then on again. A bit like a waste gate is playing funny buggers.

Nissan couldn't replicate the problem. Funny that.

Regards,

DW
FollowupID: 325175

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 20:17

Sunday, Jun 20, 2004 at 20:17
Hi DW,

You definently have a series 3 GU. The early series 3 had steel rims before they offered mags as standard. As for the extended warranty, I plan to buy this myself, simply because I believe its good value for money, not because i expect a warranty claim on the motor. Nissan have been replacing motors past 3 years and 100,000kms so an extended warranty is not necessary for this IMHO.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 325240

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:09

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:09
Something doesnt add up here.
AnswerID: 62718

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:16

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:16
nobody would have kept it that long if it was that much of a lemon...

+ a few other things dont add up!

I WANT ONE!
FollowupID: 324022

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:28

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:28
" New Turbof fitted,tken for test run,fails test drive knock in motor.Well Hello,you guessed it we hwve done the motor again"

If the motor died while they were driving it, tell them to fix it... Wish I was pi$$ed it would be easier to disect this post.. Obviously something wasnt fitted correctly when they did the turbo..

Still doesnt add up
FollowupID: 324024

Reply By: Member Eric - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:18

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:18
Lets not go to I have had to replace 3 diffs so far
AnswerID: 62721

Reply By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 00:16

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 00:16
I know you are going to jump down my throat, becase I am a Toyota man but stand back and take a general look at what is happening with these 3l nissans, take some criticism from some one on the outside looking in, Nissan should be castrated for not getting on top of these problems a long time ago and I mean major recalls.
Look at what poor Angie is and will go through to get a car that will do the weekly jobs she paid bloody good money for a few years ago to do, 2 motors and 3 turbos in 140,000 ks when most deisel motors are just starting to be run in and begin there life, and not to mention the pain and inconvenience she will go through just to get some sort of deal out of nissan if she is lucky, not to mention the 10 grand she will have to find to fix it if she is not, and the lack of a car she needs while she jumps up and down and gets pushed from pillar to post and back again. You redneck 3l owners are all putting a lot of hope on the replacement series 3 motors but I think this is just the start of more ongoing problems that YOU are going to have to fund as they get older. Nissan are going to wipe there hands of these things once they are out of extended warranty as fast as they can.
If you think these things are so good you should all get together and approach nissan to help Angie get some satifaction, who is going to be first to stand up there with her and make a lot of noise, put your mouths and pens where your motors are!!!
AnswerID: 62738

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie- Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:51

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:51
Steve,
Once again you're right on the money.....If my 4.2lt motor had even ONE of the probelms listed by Angie, I'd be camping in front of Nissan Australia's front door with as much adverse publicity as I could muster.

In fact, dare I say it, .............I reckon I'd probably move "camps" altogether and get a Toy....... (choke, cough, gasp)......a Toyo.......(gasping for breath).......a Toyot..........

Nah, it's no good, I just can't say it!!!!!!!!!!LOLOL

Roachie
FollowupID: 324051

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 13:09

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 13:09
If people would have spent the money and got the 4.2 there would be no issue.

Also a rebuild on a 3.0 is only $12-14,000ish... Bargain! Go a 4.2 swap for less.
FollowupID: 324060

Reply By: DARREN - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:50

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:50
At the risk of offending Angie. Definately feeling like things aren't adding up here. I am wondering if perhaps "Angie" is an alias of one the GU bashers out there.

"Can anybody enlighten me with any information about these problems with any other 3litre patrol that they know of"

Obviously an archive search has not been done before making the post.
AnswerID: 62759

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 13:11

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 13:11
Wonderin the same thing...

Is it school holidays yet? As the spelling in the original post is p|ss p00r!

then again 90% of people never search before they post.

YMMV
FollowupID: 324061

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:39

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 09:39
As one who has a replacement motor, I have no problems with the response from Nissan in regards of out of warranty repairs, but as stated previously on this site I have a real problem with the secrecy in regard to what engines are fitted as replacements.
Nissan will not say what was wrong,what models are affected,or which engines they fit once the original has blown.
So with a new engine you are not sure if it will go again,a great feeling as you drive up the Canning stock route.
I have written to several magazines to try to find some answers,but as someone else has pointed out the information is being suppressed.
The herald Sun motoring column has been answering queries with the official Nissan speil of too small a sump on first models.
This is incorrect, as we all know,as many including mine had recalled sumps fitted.
I contacted the Sun herald and pointed out these things,they replied that they are curently trying to find out what is the real cause, but are relying on writer feed back to work out the problem (obviously the Nissan blackout is well in force still).
I am now considering an approach to the consumer affairs in regard to this matter,I cannot accept that repairs can be made to a vehicle you own,without some explanation as to what was actually done.
I have written to Nissan twice requesting information,and suggesting that their sales will be affected if they do not come clean on this issue,on both occasions no reply.
It is becoming my lifes mission to establish what caused these failures,I cannot afford another vehicle,I like the performance of the one I have,but must understand its life span expectancy.
The only way the immoral behaviour of Nissan can be broken down is with intense public pressure.
My dealership says they are not told anything by Nissan, and even suggested that Nissan may be embarrased because of an obvious fault that has gone undetected
during manufacture.
Big deal,they could not be any more embarrased than I was at Xmas when the engine blew up and I was towed home.
Keep up the pressure.
Regards
AnswerID: 62871

Sponsored Links