tyre use bye date.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 17:53
ThreadID: 13665 Views:2939 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
gday after reading a post about some poor guys tyres that failed and were past there use bye date i thought i might let you know a few things that might help.
(1)tyres usually only have a 5yr warranty.
(2)the build date of a tyre can be found on the side wall.1 side only you will see 4 numbers. eg 2302 (usually only about 5x20mm all up)this means the tyre was made on the 23rd week 2002.some have 3 numbers 232 23rd week 82 92 02 ect.
(3)make sure all your dates are either facing inside or outside.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:01

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:01
Thanks for the good oil.

Why do they need to all be facing the same side?

Cheers
AnswerID: 62665

Follow Up By: Mrs Diamond - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:38

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 18:38
gday rick.
the inside /outside thing has to do with the way a tyre is manufactured.
they build them all the same way with the date being on the same side all the time.
after years of being in tyres and people coming in with cars pulling left or right and alignments not fixing the problem bye making sure the date was either in or out in most cases the problem would go away.
now this is only my theory but it works.
when they lay the rubber on a tyre they start at one side and spin it on to the other side and so on.as with the belts they lay one one way then the next the other way so on.
so when the tyre is on the car and spinning the tyre will tend to pull one way.say if the date is on the outside and the tyre pulls to the side with the date when the tyre on the opposite side is also fitted with the date on the outside they even out .confused yet lol.so the left tyre is pulling left and the right tyre is pulling right they balance out the pull.
now if you have one tyre with the date facing out on the left side of the car it will pull left and if the tyre on the right has the date inside its going to pull to the left as well making the car pull left.
FollowupID: 323985

Follow Up By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:02

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:02
Understood, easy-peasy.
Thanks diamond.
I had a look at all 4 tyres + spare on my rig - the date thingo must be on the inside. That's the side the fancy lettering is on..
Next time they come off I'll have a squiz.
Cheers
FollowupID: 324016

Reply By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 00:52

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 00:52
Thanks Mrs, I'll have a squizz at mine tomorrow..sheet nearly 1.00am so make that today.
AnswerID: 62741

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 15:20

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 15:20
Righto, i have come across the tyre pull thing before and now i know why !!! Thanks Champ..

Now , i have killed off a few brain cells recently and can't remember the rules regarding the placement of the tyre versus the valve position, you know the red and yellow dot markings on the tyre case . Heavy / light point ????
Can you refresh my memory good fellow ?

Ta
AnswerID: 62796

Follow Up By: Mrs Diamond - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:57

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:57
gday mate.
i really cant help you with the rd yellow bits.
we had a quiet day one day and tried several different tyres with the coloured bits at the vave. opposite the vave ect and didnt make an ounce of difference to the balancing.
we tried different brands some up better near the valve but the another of same tyre from the same manufacturer ballanced up no where near the valve so in the end if people asked what the yellow and red bits are for i used to just tell them they are marks they put on during different times during the manufacturing process.lol
i remember one older guy insisted that we fit the yellow stickers near the valve and balance them.so we did 1 balanced up good the others were shockers broke the bead spun them and checked again much better.when we broke the bead we spun them 90 degrees and tried again.
FollowupID: 324205

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:38

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2004 at 09:38
Must be that those coopers are balanced so well from the factory :-))))

thanks Buddy, Brad
FollowupID: 324493

Reply By: cmilton54 - Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 17:51

Monday, Jun 14, 2004 at 17:51
Tyres are made in various stages , bead, carcus and tread. joined together as one then put into mould and pressure cooked. initial tread is smooth rubber mould give it the pattern. date stamp is only put onto mould on one side and changed weekly. Should not matter which way tyre is fitted to wheel.
Cheers
Charlie Milton
AnswerID: 63099

Sponsored Links