GME MT310

Submitted: Saturday, May 05, 2018 at 12:01
ThreadID: 136650 Views:4258 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. Anyone ever managed to open up a GME310 EPIRP to remove the battery without the use of the universal tool.
Cheers, Dave.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: qldcamper - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 08:16

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 08:16
I really hate it when someone starts off a reply saying no, but.......

But Im going to so I apologise up front for not answering your question but feel I might be able to save you some trouble.

I have opened up an old epirb that was discarded when they changed frequencies and modified it to transmit voice on the aviation band. It was just an experiment to see if I could.

The one thing I remember that could be of interest to you is that the battery pack was fully sealed in a lump of resin in the bottom of the canister to act as ballast to keep it floating upright, no way to get it out.
AnswerID: 618696

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 11:06

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 11:06
Cheers qldcamper. I was going to disable the battery before I disposed of it.
Very surprised that ASMA only give some very vague tips on disposal as there must be must quite a out there.
Dave.
FollowupID: 890765

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 17:50

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 17:50
ThIs is what AMSA have to say about disposal of old EPIRBs.

Disposing of unwanted distress beacons
Please do not throw your beacon in the bin. Beacons can inadvertently activate if they are not correctly disposed, which often occurs when beacons are thrown in the rubbish and end up in tips.

Every year, thousands of dollars are spent in Australia searching for beacons in rubbish dumps. Search personnel and assets which are tasked to look for beacons that have been inadvertently activated are then unavailable for a real emergency. Beacon batteries are hazardous items which should be disposed of in an environmentally friendly way.

Option 1

Contact your local battery store to check whether they disconnect and dispose of beacons. A small fee may apply.

Option 2

Contact your local maritime safety agency. They may be able to provide disposal advice.

One State, Western Australia, has individual disposal arrangements and further information can be found on the Department of Transport or Department of Transport Beacon information websites.

Option 3

Check the beacon manufacturer’s instructions, they may provide instructions on how to disconnect the beacon battery. Once disconnected, contact your local waste management facility to ask about disposing of your unwanted beacon in an environmentally friendly way. A small fee may apply.
FollowupID: 890776

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 18:21

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 18:21
Funny they don’t provide a service to dispose of out of date flares either
FollowupID: 890777

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 18:22

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 18:22
Wow shaker. That is the longest post I think I’ve seen you write. It’s usually a one sentence smart reply.

Haha remember last year when you didn’t check your wheel nuts and the wheels fell off your show ? You blamed everyone except your self as complained because nobody stopped. I drove past and didn’t stop. Karma mate !!!
FollowupID: 890778

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 18:33

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 18:33
Hi David, I cannot find info on model 310 but here is GME's instruction to disable a 410. It may be the same. Alternatively, contact GME.

To permanently disable the beacon:
1. At the rear of the beacon remove the two retaining screws located just under the safety seal. Turn the unit over and remove a third screw from the middle of the cap.
2. Release the antenna just sufficiently to allow the cap to be partially withdrawn, remove the yellow plastic insert from the front centre to allow the unit to slide apart.
3. Unplug the battery leads at the base of the circuit board.
• Lithium batteries are generally not considered as hazardous waste when fully discharged. Qualified personnel may be able to slowly and safely discharge the cells for you.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618705

Reply By: allblack55 - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 18:58

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 18:58
Hi David,

If you are referring to the MT310 I have deactivated a couple, the battery is at the bottom of the unit. Simply crack the case along the seam, comes away fairly easily and can be done with little damage, soft hands helps.

Leigh.
AnswerID: 618706

Sponsored Links