Anne Beadell Highway (experience)

I have just finished the AB from West to East. The first 150 K's out of Laverton was wide formed road. Lots of activity as there was a gas pipeline being installed adjacent to the road.
Once the turnoff to Ilkurlka Road house was reached, the road was a one lane track. And remained so until 50 or so K's out of Coober Pedy.
For statistics: I used up 190 litres of diesel for 1366 K's. Took 5 and a half days with total driving time between 46 and 48 hours. Average speed was less than 30Kph.
I drove a Mitsubishi Pajero with HD springs and shocks; and towed a purpose built off-road hard floor camper trailer. No problems with the trailer at all. It was better than tent/gas stove/water containers/food etc etc. I took two spare tyres, but did not have any flats. The only problem was a bundle of root like timber was just over the crest of a sand dune, so I could not avoid it. A look in the rear mirror suggested it went under the car/trailer without catching. Ten minutes later, my temp gauge suggested a little over the normal. Stopped to find all coolant gone! The roots had flicked a hose off between the engine and transmission. Fortunately did not puncture the hose, so I pliered the clamp and popped the hose back on. Refilled the radiator with water (after the engine had cooled) and went on my way. The gauge showed a slight rise again. Stopped to find an air lock in the system. Not recommended. It blew the water out of the overflow bottle because the air in the system compressed and then released through the 108 Kpa radiator cap. After the system was completely full of water, no further problems.
The terrain is ever changing. Spinifex, mallee, marble gums, scrub, sand hills. The sand was firm but still very corrugated. Bird life was prolific. Don't know their species, but saw heaps every day.
Used the CB radio every half to hour or so, when I could not see the track clearly. Like around twists and turns. Only saw 5 vehicles heading West over the 5 and half days. And two high top troupies in the bush one morning. Late risers!
The experience is now ticked off my bucket list. Don't need to do The Canning or Connie-Sue or others. So the camper trailer is for sale if any Forum members know of anyone interested. Will stick it on Gumtree next month.
Was even asked if I was interested in care-taking Ilkurlka Roadhouse any time??? Sounds like they ask everyone who passes through.
I have taken a lot of photos from my driving position. But they all seem very similar now that I have uploaded them to my laptop. Track, corrugations, scrub, sky. That's all you get folks! And a final word, wherever you camp, take a good look around before choosing a spot. Little piss ants are up over your knees before you can blink...
Happy travelling...Skippo
Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 14:22

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 14:22
Hi Skippo

Yes the Anne Beadell is a fantastic drive, having done it a few times now.

There is lots to see and as you know, the key is a nice slow trip.

All the best

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618702

Reply By: batsy - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 16:19

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 16:19
Skippo thanks for the report as we are about to set sail for the west & the Anne Beadell (going East to West). Can you advise the level of "bush pin striping equipment" on the track as the second vehicle in our group has a Rhinomax Hybrid Camper 2m wide & 2.4m high.
Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618703

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 17:46

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 17:46
I saw an Australian Off Road Quantum that was fairly trashed down the sides & windows & they are less than 2 metres wide, I was towing a Tvan that ended the trip unmarked, although it did chop out a set of lower shocker bushes which seems commonplace for Tvans.

FollowupID: 890775

Follow Up By: Member - BE - Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 19:23

Sunday, May 06, 2018 at 19:23
Also did the East to West last year in an Iveco Daily 4x4.

2.6 m high and 2 m wide.

Plenty of very tight spots, as in tree lines so plenty of scatches.

However can agree with others it's an amasing trip and well worth the effort

If you are pulling the trailer probably would avoid Vokes Hill as a couple pulling a camper said to us it was very tight with it behind.

However others could confirm this or not as we went up in the truck and found it ok except for the last couple of klms..
FollowupID: 890779

Follow Up By: Member BarryG - Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 00:46

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 00:46
Did the ABH E-W last year. Had a great time - now our favourite desert road!
To avoid pin striping, I used a product called Paint-Shield form Shield-n-Peel. I used three coats, applied with a roller.
Paint-Shield
Worked really well and came off quite easily with a pressure washer. Beneath, the original surface was completely untouched.

Barry
FollowupID: 890837

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 08:14

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 08:14
Is pin-striping an issue between Emu and the east end of the AB Road?
FollowupID: 890882

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 14:37

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 14:37
No....... just the corrugations!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890892

Reply By: This Troopy Life - Monday, May 07, 2018 at 14:38

Monday, May 07, 2018 at 14:38
Skippo we must have passed you on track as we were travelling East to West in Pop Top troopie

Great trip as you said - we went north at Neale Junction on Connie Sue and found it to be very similar with AB - very narrow with lots of washnouts and chicken tracks.

Great trip all around
Falling down is a part of life, staying down is a choice!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618728

Reply By: Candace S. - Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 02:05

Tuesday, Jul 03, 2018 at 02:05
"Track, corrugations, scrub, sky. That's all you get folks! "

Strange, I saw lots of interesting stuff out there. But I spent as much time traveling from CP to Emu and back to CP, as you took to do the whole track! And I was either driving or moving around on foot pretty much non-stop from sun-up to sunset. "Stop and smell the roses"!?
AnswerID: 619920

Sponsored Links