Halls Creek

Submitted: Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 16:28
ThreadID: 136663 Views:4213 Replies:10 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Anybody had a recent experience in staying at Halls Creek? Have read a couple of other site reports indicating that theft, noise and disruption occur in Caravan Park! Was wondering whether to consider staying a night or move onwards to better received locations
Falling down is a part of life, staying down is a choice!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 17:34

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 17:34
Theft yes!
But it was my fault.
I left my portable fridge out overnight, under the awning and in the wee hours, my wife heard somebody ferreting about. (I was sound asleep) She thought it was our friend in an adjacent camper.
Anyway, in the morning we discovered a half full bottle of Gin and a full bottle of white wine had been taken. The kind person left the rest of the contents and the fridge itself. They were just after the booze.

Problems may occur at any caravan park where there is a nearby indigenous population and Halls Creek caravan park have one close by.
Just a matter of securing your campsite before retiring. They don't usually cause problems with noise or other disruption in my experience.

AnswerID: 618742

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 19:10

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 19:10
Hi

We stayed there for 2 days last August and found the park very friendly.

Our neighbour had been there for 3 weeks and was thinking of renting a place in town, as his was got a job at the local hospital and he just got a job at the local pup as a grounds man.

There is lots to see in the area and there is no way you could see it in just 1 day.

We chatted with some of the locals, both black and white and had no issues with them.

Yes there can be issues when there are large numbers of unemployed aboriginals in any area, and you can also have trouble with low life white fellas as well.

Each to their own, but I would have no hesitations in staying there again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618743

Follow Up By: mike39 - Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 08:47

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 08:47
We had been camped out of Halls Creek prospecting and came into town for shopping, clothes wash and water.

Discovered the only water available is at the Information Centre......and they charge 20cents/litre for it.!!
Requiring around 180litres, no thanks and booked in at the CP for a night.

Did our washing, all the water required, power, for less than what water alone at the IC was going to cost.
No problems at the CP, friendly staff, patrons and tidy surrounds.

That was a first for us of several subsequent visits.
We find Halls Creek to be a tourist friendly town with interesting nearby sites of historical significance..........plus in our case a little Gold!
mike
FollowupID: 890842

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 14:19

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 14:19
Hi Mike

It's great to see that you had the same experience as us, as it was a great place to stay.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890853

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 18:54

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 18:54
There is no reason why anybody should give you free water, 20c a litre sounds fair to me in a place as remote as Halls Creek.
At least you ended up supporting a local business which is a good thing.
FollowupID: 890865

Follow Up By: mike39 - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 09:10

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 09:10
We are always happy to pay for potable water Shaker.

Halls Creek water supply comes from a sequence of bores, the cost to the consumer being around $4.75/kl.. Equating to less than 0.5cent/litre, surely you would agree the Information Centre charge of 20cent/l is exorbitant.

We could have paid $36 for less than $1 worth of water
Not really encouraging travellers to spend money there.
mike
FollowupID: 890883

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 09:18

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 09:18
I don’t think it’s exorbitant at all, they had to install & maintain any infrastructure required to dispense it. I’m sure that you or your partner have probably paid up to at least $5.00 a litre for water.
Along with many others I have happily paid $3.40 a litre for diesel & been grateful for its availability, it is all part of remote travel.
FollowupID: 890884

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 12:15

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 12:15
Halls Creek, remote?.
Dave.
FollowupID: 890889

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 13:36

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 13:36
1288km from Darwin, 2873km from Perth, yes I would say it’s pretty remote, not many towns in Australia much further away from a capital city.
FollowupID: 890891

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 14:59

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 14:59
Remote is when you run out of track. :)
Dave.
FollowupID: 890895

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 09:49

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 09:49
Remote is the distance from the tv to the lounge chair. They don't call it a remote control for nothing. :-)
FollowupID: 890933

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 20:34

Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 20:34
Hi Troopy

I agree with Stephan.

We stayed in HK CP for 3 nights a couple of years ago. No problems whatsoever.

We follow the rule that it’s the minority that cause the problems irrespective of race, colour or creed. That means we clean up and lock up at night irrespective of the location. The only things of value left outside are a couple of chairs and a table and they are folded up. The outside LED is left on all night.

Bad behaviour and noise can occur anywhere especially when a lot of alcohol is involved. This applies to white fellas, black fellas and any other fellas.

For me the Halls Creek area is very interesting. The town and its inhabitants are quite typical of the Kimberley. Enjoy it as it’s worth it.

Cheers

John

AnswerID: 618744

Reply By: Member - Penski - Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 11:33

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 11:33
I have probably read the same reports you have. The site reviews recently on WikiCamps and a post in the general area yesterday suggest things are not the best at the moment. We will be passing through in August but plan to camp at the crater and then drive straight through to the Bungle Bungles. I think you need to be careful with online reports but there does seem to be a bunch of them suddenly. It is the season of increased travel though.
AnswerID: 618750

Reply By: braincell - Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 15:01

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 at 15:01
Went through there and Fitzroy Crossing last year , Caravan Parks would be The go I think and secure
.Got hassled at the servo at Fitzroy crossing , there is some problems there so it isnt all roses as some suggest .
AnswerID: 618756

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 17:15

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 17:15
Like most (but not all), we had no trouble staying at Halls Creek caravan park. We purchased fuel and groceries before going out on the Tanami.

There are towns where thefts from caravan parks occur. Exercise good security where ever you are. Lock up securely, don't leave purses or wallets out on benches overnight (tuck them under you bed). Lock up if you both go to the bathrooms at the same time.

In certain town, it may not be wise to walk around the streets at night.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618787

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Friday, May 11, 2018 at 18:45

Friday, May 11, 2018 at 18:45
Pulled into Halls Creek 2 weeks ago after coming off the Tanami. Really wanted to take a break. Filled up with fuel, spoke to a local contractor and camped 100km west at Mary's Pool, awesome spot.
AnswerID: 618821

Reply By: Michael H9 - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:02

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:02
It's been a while since I've been up that way, 2006 maybe? We had some uneasy times in only 2 places, Tennant Creek and Halls Creek. I think a lot depends on what day of the week it is and what week in the month. Nothing actually happened to us but the general circumstances had our instincts telling us to be generally on alert. We didn't use the autobank in Tennant Creek because it didn't feel safe to do so.
Both places had a lot of screaming and banging of telegraph poles going on all night. Things may have improved since by the sound of it.
AnswerID: 618835

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:46

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:46
Had a meal in Russian Jack's Restaurant in the motel a couple of years ago.
Good food and a very warm welcome from the large gentleman on the door.
Just had to find a lot more gold to pay for the bottle of wine.
Dave.
FollowupID: 890937

Follow Up By: mike39 - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 08:10

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 08:10
Spent quite some time at both Tennant Creek and Halls Creek (still chasing gold)

A few beers in Jacksons Bar (TC) yarning with the locals, camping at the pebbles and a good laugh when local elders bring a mob of kids out to get them out of town for a while.
Kids curious as all getout, kicking a footy and enjoying themselves, the elders gave us good info on picking up a bit of gold from here and there.

There is both good and bad everywhere, just have to sus it all out.
mike
FollowupID: 890969

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 11:02

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 11:02
Humbugging by Aboriginals is the single greatest problem you will encounter in Outback towns, where there's a high percentage of Aboriginals, high levels of unemployment, and high levels of drunkenness.

In fact, you will often find signs saying "No Humbugging" around these towns. It's not just their relatives that the Aboriginals will humbug, they find whites are often a good, "soft" target.

Just be firm in your refusals for money, but you may want to spare them some petrol, or water if they appear stuck.
Remember, Aboriginals do no planning whatsoever, they live from day to day without a thought for tomorrow, it's purely and simply a cultural thing.

My father used to tell us some great stories about working and dealing with Aboriginals on pastoral stations in the Murchison in the 1930's.

They'd catch a wallaby and cook it - and eat the whole lot at once - because tomorrow was another day, and there might not be another wallaby tomorrow.

He reckoned it was hilarious watching an old gin jumping up and down on her hubbys stomach, so he could fit some more wallaby in.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 618839

Follow Up By: Zippo - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 12:21

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 12:21
Ron N: "Aboriginals do no planning whatsoever, they live from day to day without a thought for tomorrow, it's purely and simply a cultural thing."

So true. (I had a LOT of interaction with the NW/Kimberley aboriginals in the early/mid-70's and beyond.) A prime example is when Pippingarra station was handed back to them - a stocked and operational property. They sat around and whenever they ran out of food they would slaughter another beast and cook it, and that fed them and their cousins from the reserve. The problem came with the fact that they ate all the stock faster than it could replenish. They had no animal husbandry inclination, being historically/culturally nomadic hunter-gatherers.
FollowupID: 890943

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 16:58

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 16:58
Best experience we had at Halls Creek was a bloke coming into the pub with a 1.5m long (dead) brown snake. After everyone had a bit of a giggle(?) he said "I'm gonna shove it on the seat in Ken's truck while he's having a p1$$!"

Worth the stop for that alone. Don't know what happened to Ken but heard lots of noise and swearing about five minutes later.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 618843

Sponsored Links