Cape Leveque

Submitted: Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 15:27
ThreadID: 136676 Views:2456 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Current Track conditions not bad but some small sections as bad as the Tanami.
I was lucky enough to be the first in at Bully's Bush Camp. The track into Bully's looked unused for a while, sandy sections with tall grasses up to the edge of the track, can be tight but the cruiser and Tvan pulled through OK. $15 per person per night.
Kooljaman is a nice place but a absolute rip off. $55 per night for a powered site, the most paid so far. Cheaper to do the Horizontal Falls from Broome by $150.
All the indigenous activities are mind blowing expensive EG: 2hr talk =$75 per person, this was the cheapest activity
Back in Broome to pick up supplies, then hit the Gibb.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Friday, May 11, 2018 at 09:19

Friday, May 11, 2018 at 09:19
We loved Bully's camp back in 2009. Location, location location (as real estate agents love saying). Was $15 back then , but I think that was per vehicle.

We visited Kooljaman but turned around & left when they wanted $10 just for us to have a look at their sites before we decided whether to stay. Attitudes seemed par for the course for places run by an external management company.

Found other wonderful places to stay on the peninsula - one of our favourite parts of Australia.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618802

Reply By: Gerard S - Friday, May 11, 2018 at 13:56

Friday, May 11, 2018 at 13:56
Middle Lagoon was OK last year. We moved around quite a bit and found the Willys Creek, Quongdong and James Price Point were as good as anything furthur up. Take plenty of water as Broome Info centre was the nearest we found.
AnswerID: 618814

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:42

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:42
The Aboriginal mobs have seized on the good charging rates for entertaining the tourists, and they only occasionally offer good value.

For overseas tourists, it's a "must-do" to be able to say they've been guided by the locals.

I guess everyone is aware that the Kimberley Aboriginal groups are now charging $150 to $300 per person for visiting "sites" located on Aboriginal Lands?

This is something that all Aboriginal groups will seize on eventually, and you'll be paying all the way, in the Outback in the future - with charges that will probably be higher than NP charges, with no guarantee you will get the facilities the NP's provide.
On top of Aboriginal Lands road-use permit fees, this is starting to look like a golden goose, and a whole new industry of fee-collection.

Aboriginal groups in the Kimberley starting to charge tourists to see their Lands

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 618838

Sponsored Links