Watch out for the scam caravan ads

Submitted: Friday, May 11, 2018 at 22:48
ThreadID: 136687 Views:3618 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all! I found the following scam caravan ad today - and just wanted to remind people to be alert to scammers, that are still out in force.

Here is a Jayco caravan being advertised at a price that's too good to be true - and it's also advertised on other free ad sites, too.

However, in this ad, the 'van is located in Perth - in another one I found, it's supposedly located in Cairns!

Scam Jayco caravan ad - Perth

Scam Jayco ad - Cairns

If you check out this sellers "other ads", he's been a busy boy - he's got everything, from rare Monaros, to ride-on lawnmowers, to Harleys, to heaps of other 'vans, for sale, too - all at great prices!

Scam seller

Cheers, Ron.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: oldfart1953 - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 01:14

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 01:14
Thanks for the tip and being so vigilant
AnswerID: 618830

Reply By: DaveO*ST-R - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 08:50

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 08:50
Unfortunately these days, you absolutely need to be super vigilant when looking at purchasing from these types of sites. A couple of months ago, my son was really keen on a Jayco van advertised that turned out to be a scam. The frightening part is to what lengths some a-holes will go to try to fleece innocent people of their money. This particular scammer even emailed (from what turned out to be a bodgy email address) photocopies of a driver licence and caravan registration certificate. Doctored and false documents but done very well !! He did not want a cash sale, but instead a bank cheque, but wanted to see a scanned copy of the bank cheque to prove that the buyer was genuine and to justify him driving 4 hours to supposedly where the van was stored so we could inspect it. I don't think so - not a snow flakes hope in hell was he getting that !!! He even went as far as giving false occupation and work details etc at the footer of his emails. A phone call to the said company revealed a response of "This has been going on for the last 12 months or so, but we haven't heard that name before" Luckily, we twigged on this before anything happened - no money changed hands etc. There are a number of other things that in hindsight were a red flag, but I would be typing for quite a while to list them all. The scam was reported to Police and the advertising site. So - be very, very careful. Things may not be as they seem !!
AnswerID: 618833

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 22:31

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 22:31
I don’t see how a scanned copy of a bank cheque can represent a security risk, it couldn’t be banked, it has no link back to you & even a real bank cheque must be paid into an account & takes 3 clear business days to process, the same as a personal cheque.
The other issues that you discovered would be disturbing of course.
FollowupID: 890962

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 23:15

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 23:15
Fraudulent cheques are still a profitable business for the crims - and current duplication, photocopying and image processing equipment and programs, are fantastic tools in the hands of competent forgers.

Cheque fraud

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 890964

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 09:51

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 09:51
Even so, a bank cheque is in no way linked to a personal account, so presents no risk to the potential purchaser of the van.
FollowupID: 890972

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:11

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 10:11
It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who will readily part with money as soon as they spot a "bargain" - without being cautious and doing a heap of cross-checking.

A Google search (and particularly an image search) usually brings up the scammers in quick-smart time, because they can't help themselves, and they'll post the same pics in multiple ads - that have always been stolen from genuine ads.

Recently, a bloke on another forum (recreational flying) started asking if anyone knew anything about a good used Rotax engine deal, or the seller - who was in Europe.

A quick search and some cross-checking soon found a scammer selling an engine that didn't exist - and we promptly found the photos from the ad - on an American blokes blog, where'd he was outlining his kit aircraft build.

Then this forum member let us know he'd just paid $5000 to this scammer - and then suddenly woke up that there just might be something not quite right with the deal because of the convoluted and untraceable payment method.

I was staggered that someone would be foolish enough to part with $5000 up front, without getting thorough verification, without getting someone he trusted to check the engine in person - and making a payment using convoluted, untraceable, and unrecoverable methods. Or - not even doing an initial internet search to flush out the scammer.

Even just searching the scam sellers name will usually flush them out as a scammer, because people will name them on forums and blogs, and they will be promptly exposed.

I got caught about 15 yrs ago with a Jap scammer selling non-existent Sony digital cameras - making initial contact via eBay.

This bloke was incredible with his thoroughness, his backup story - and he even rented an office in Tokyo to be able to give me verifiable phone and fax numbers, that both worked.

I wasn't aware that you could rent a serviced office in Japan on a short-term basis - and this was obviously what this cunning scammer did.

I should have been alerted, when he wanted to use an untraceable early digital currency - explaining that angle away glibly, that he wanted to avoid some of the excessive Japanese taxes, such as GST.

As always, I was too eager to secure a great deal on a new camera that was top-of-the-range at the time - and I lost $800 to this sewer rat.
It was a hard-earned lesson for the new digital age, and I have been dead-set on exposing scammers at every opportunity, ever since.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 618836

Follow Up By: mountainman - Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 08:23

Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 08:23
Ronny...
You hear of the aussie lady got fleeced of $380,000 by 3 men she dated from overseas.
Shes missing a few bob in her top paddock !
Even went overseas and married one of them !!
Very recent.
Its not just what you buy.
Its everything in life.
Business associates....
Family...
Friends.
Let alone wanting to buy a item of value.
Which in the end has no value....
FollowupID: 890970

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 21:04

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 21:04
Always report these to the media; Quocka, eBay, Gumtree or whatever. Most will pull them down quickly.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 618849

Follow Up By: Ron N - Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 23:19

Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 23:19
Unfortunately, the smaller operators such as Quokka, and many of the free ad sites, do not pull these ads down quickly, because they run understaffed, and pay little attention to ad content.

Gumtree, eBay and the Trading Post are reasonably fast at identifying and pulling scam ads, so the scammers move on to the lesser-patrolled sites.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 890965

Reply By: Member - Captain Sparkles - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 09:25

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 09:25
Just makes it harder for the genuine sellers out there like myself, to sell their caravans. The interest I've mainly had is from people expecting to virtually giveaway your caravan because of all these other so called vans that are so much "newer" than yours for the same or cheaper price.
AnswerID: 618885

Sponsored Links