bleach, is anyone actually using it?

Submitted: Monday, May 14, 2018 at 08:38
ThreadID: 136701 Views:3364 Replies:5 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
I have been using this method for a while to treat water for showering and hygiene and did all the calculations and conversions as all the articals are from the US and eventually found that the bleach Aldi sold worked out to be one teaspoon to 20 litres, but they have changed their brand and I don't have an old bottle to compare the concentration.(and there are several different ways companies state the amount of active ingredient)

I have used the search function but surprise surprise, all I come up with is arguments.

Is anyone actually using this method and wise enough to record their research findings? would be great if someone could tell me a common brand and ratio.

As for clearing the water, this trip I am experimenting with a different method from the filter that I have been using to a pool floculant, hoping that the bleach and floc can be added at the same time but will find out the first night I guess.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gbc.. - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 10:44

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 10:44
I treat my tanks and lines once every couple of years with bleach but not individual loads. Where are you getting the water? Municipal water is mainly all bleached anyway.
AnswerID: 618887

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 16:45

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 16:45
Cheers, yes I understand that town water is usually treated with chlorine.
The water I will be using will be taken from western rivers and private dams, just want to clean it up for showers etc.
FollowupID: 891006

Reply By: Gerard S - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 15:29

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 15:29
When I managed a Farm/ Rural supply we sold Sodium Hypochlorite in a liquid formulation at a stated strength specifically for treating farm water supplies. I think they even had a dilution chart on the back. Try an Elders or a CRT store etc
AnswerID: 618895

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 16:47

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 16:47
brilliant advice, thanks ill check out our local farm and produce shop tomorrow. Let you know how I go.
FollowupID: 891007

Follow Up By: Shaker - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 17:31

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 17:31
While you’re there ask them for some Alum, it will clear the water.
FollowupID: 891009

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 18:43

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 18:43
For showering we just filter it
FollowupID: 891014

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 14, 2018 at 19:19

Monday, May 14, 2018 at 19:19
Hi qldcamper

If you only want water for showering, you can give this a go.

For a very long time I had know of a common "Bush Recipe" for cleaning dirty water, that is typical of any waterways in your travels.

I achieved perfect results within hours and the water was as clear as rain water after the treatment with Epsom Salts.

Have a look at the Blog that I did after my trial with Murray River water.

How to Settle Muddy Water

If you then wanted to drink the water, it would require further treatment to kill and bacteria.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618903

Follow Up By: Kenell - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 09:56

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 09:56
Stephen,

I am a knock about sort of a bloke but I don't reckon I could come at drinking the water I showered in - no matter what you treated it with !!

Or did I misunderstand you ?

Ken
FollowupID: 891037

Follow Up By: Keith B2 - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 10:09

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 10:09
Bear in mind that Epson Salts is also a hell of a laxative. Take one teaspoon in a glass of water, light the touch paper and stand back.
FollowupID: 891038

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 11:42

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 11:42
Hi Ken

What I was referring to, was after the water had been settled, I still would not drink it without further treatment to kill all harmful bacteria.

And no, I would not drink the shower water either.......lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891042

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 11:44

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 11:44
Hi Keith

Yes that would've very interesting.....lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891043

Follow Up By: qldcamper - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 17:38

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 17:38
Ahhh Epsom salts.

Saw that years ago on the bush tucker man series and do you think I could remember it, I thought it was condies crystals, that's what a lot of time does to an aging memory, and you cant buy condies crystals without a prescription any more, just as well hey.

Thanks for giving my memory a shunt back on the right track.
FollowupID: 891050

Follow Up By: BarryR1 - Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 23:24

Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 23:24
Do you remember the old 1960/70's snake bite kit with condis (potassium permanganate) crystals? A plastic bulb filled with condis that opened across the middle. It had a sharp, vicious looking cutting blade jutting from one end that you used to cut across the bite area, suck the poison out then drop in the load of condis crystals. Thanks god the First Mildura South Scouts never suffered a snake bite lol.

Cheers and safe travels,

Mick
FollowupID: 891184

Reply By: Member - Trevor_H - Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 19:52

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 at 19:52
I had experimented with everything I found referenced to in any of the "Bush Hints and Solutions". Everything from white ash, through Epsom Salts and got the best results with Aluminium Sulfate (Alum) sold as a settling agent for pools.
The Epsom Salts came from a story about a shearing camp cook who threw the whole box into a dirty water tank to settle it......not telling anybody! Caused a few problems on the board next day.
Bunnings sell it cheapest in powder form, although I have also seen it as liquid.
2 desert spoons in a 25 litre bucket will settle in about 8 hrs....don't move the bucket....syphon the clear off the top of the sludge.
AnswerID: 618925

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 11:49

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 11:49
Water in a bucket, syphon off the top,
you can do that without adding anything. After 8 hours surely anything will settle with our without additives
FollowupID: 891068

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 16:12

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 16:12
If it did, dams would be clear!
It would surprise you how turbid even tap water can be when you fill a swimming pool, that is why pool contractors use Alum.
FollowupID: 891078

Follow Up By: Kenell - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 16:24

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 16:24
Alum or aluminium sulphate is used extensively in water purification ie sewerage treatment plants, paper and pulp manufacturers etc. My understanding is that the "solids" are separated from the H2O and can be easily captured and disposed of. Not clear on what residual effect it has on the H20 afterwards though. I think it is the major constituent in Stingose too.
FollowupID: 891079

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor_H - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 18:55

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 18:55
My research showed Aluminium Sulphate is the main additive in the treatment for town water supplies. I assumed they had already checked the health and safety aspects, so good enough for me to use as washing water. It is pretty amazing to watch the algae and colour start to collect and drop after even a few minutes. In Africa, they add a small amount of bleach after settling with alum if they are going to drink the water.
FollowupID: 891083

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 20:01

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 20:01
Hey CSeaJay

Have a look at the Blog that it did about this very subject, posting in my above reply.

To get perfect clear water from natural settling with Murray River water, it took 2 weeks, and my photos show natural settling overnight, with the water still very murky.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891087

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 20:22

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 20:22
CseaJay,

Suspended clay doesn't just "settle after 8 hours", you need a flocculant,

Trevor's advice is sound but I'd add one small addition..........make the powdered alum into a solution, using hot water and once the powder is dissolved, add to the water to be cleared. Results will be much quicker, and more efficient. Adding a small amount of hydrated lime will neutralise the acid effect of the alum, after the water is clear.

As well as Epsom salts, mentioned by Stephen L, and alum sulphate, I've seen various other flocculants such as Ferrite of Iron, cement powder, calcium carbide, wood ash and boiling. Alum is probably the best, but can be a very efficient laxative if too much is used, and one wishes to drink it.

No amount of filtering will clear suspended clay from river or dam water, except very expensive reverse osmosis equipment, but the filter will remove anything that might block the shower rose, or valves in the 12v pump.

Was going to suggest to qldcamper that he checks here for water sterilising agents, but bleach from Aldi might be the cheaper option. We never used any sterilising agent for domestic water, showering/washing, in over 20 years, while living down the Diamantina River.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891088

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 06:46

Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 06:46
I grew up on tank water which was never treated. During cane firing season the tank water ran grey from the good old Qld snow. Not sure my ‘cityfied’ constitution could cope these days haha.
FollowupID: 891095

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 10:56

Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 10:56
Gbc,

When I was 17, and still knew everything, I was working for friends whose only water supply was a rain water tank. The water was clear & clean, but mozzies were breeding in it.

The family were going away for a few days, and I was directed to place a small amount of kero into the tank, to kill the mozzie larvae. So, being much wiser than my employer, I added over half a cup of kero.

You know, after a couple of weeks, you do get used to the taste of kero.............

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891101

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 20:32

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 20:32
We treat all water we put into out tanks with sodium hypochlorite, EVERY time, weather it is for drinking or washing.
We carry liquid swimming pool chlorine for this purpose, it is typically 12gm per L strength. The minimum addition rate for this strength if 5ml/100L, but we typically use 2 or 3 times that rate. Common household bleach is typically 6ml/L, so needs to be added at double those rates for the same effect.
This chlorine breaks down and disappears naturally quite quickly, so but be added regularly to maintain protection. If water is suspect, addition rates should be increased.

Filtering water via a carbon filter will remove any remaining chlorine before consumption.

I take the view that what is in the water tanks is unimportant. What comes out of the tap is important.

We avoid cloudy water wherever possible, because the colloidal clay content will block fine filters quite quickly, but a pinch of alum is very effective in settling out any colloidal material in a couple of hours.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 618947

Sponsored Links