Trip preparation.

Submitted: Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 20:43
ThreadID: 136736 Views:2303 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
How far out do people start preparing for their trips. We tend to do it a months or so ahead due to business commitments but habe just stared planning a big one for the middle of next year
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 21:24

Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 21:24
Hi Ivan or should we say Mrs. Ivan

We usually start at least 12 months out, so it gives you ample time to look at all possible routes to take on your trip, look up as much as possible on what there is to see and do along the way and and try to have all bases covered.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619037

Reply By: Member - William B (The Shire) - Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 21:46

Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 21:46
Hi,
For our 2015 Canning trip we started planning a good 2 years before.
Because of the way my work allocates leave I also have to request leave 18 months in advance and hope that all the ducks line up.
William
Always planning the next trip. VKS-737 mobile 1619

AnswerID: 619039

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 22:20

Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 22:20
We go when we can get away, and plan a general direction, and maybe a few key places 'if we get that far'. Of course time of the year for the place comes in at concept stage.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619041

Follow Up By: Member - David M (SA) - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 09:43

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 09:43
My preparation consists of filling up the tanks the night before.
Dave.
FollowupID: 891232

Reply By: Member - nick b boab - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 06:47

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 06:47
Mrs Terrible : For me trip planning never stops. after returning from one trip i start planning the next one with bigger and better ideas . Always trying to improve things on the vehicle and adding good stuff this is half the fun of travelling. The handbrake was giving me a tongue lashing on the weekend regarding working & buying new stuff for the vehicle when I should have been doing other jobs she said LOL
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619044

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 11:15

Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 11:15
Nick - Doesn't the handbrake know, that when she asks you to do a certain job - it'll get done! - there's no need for her to remind you, every six months! [;-)

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 891434

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 09:26

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 09:26
How long is a piece of string ? Planning depends on the length of the trip and destination , we spent just under 2 years 'planning' and acquiring for a 6 month trip , buying / setting up vehicle and camper + boat ect ect ... then again , for us it all now depends on 'experience' ,,, having 'been there, done that' my wife and I could be ready for a trip to the 'Tip of Cape York' via the OTL in 24 hours ..
AnswerID: 619050

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 13:05

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 13:05
Agree with above - depends on what it is you are "planning"... some trips require time to do research about the route, apply for and wait for permits to come through etc. Some people might take this opportunity to update their computers, software, mapping etc. (Anything technical is time consuming and should not be left to the last minute). Have to review how you mount/use/charge the device. Check downloads work offline etc.

Other trips require little route planning as you know where you're going, or have been there before etc, but require shopping for equipment, servicing of vehicle, modifications to vehicle etc.

So in general if we're going away - anywhere, we get out all our camping equipment and set it up - check for holes, test cooking gear etc make a note of anything needing repairs and then set make a shopping list and get it sorted. The longer you have to do that the better.

Same with vehicle - get it out and give a full service yourself or book in - whatever is right for your circumstances. Check all suspension, brakes, oils, filters etc. Check your spares, update as required. Check tyres etc.

Same with cooking gear - check nothing's missing, broken, dirty from storage etc.

We don't get to travel often enough so strip our vehicle back to standard config to use the 8 seats for practicality around home so if going on a trip we need a day to re-install the rear draw system, cargo barrier, fridge slide, roof basket etc.

We typically then have to spend 6-8 weekends checking/testing our equipment/vehicle and noting things to repair/purchase. If we can spread this out over a longer time period all the better. I am normally under pressure with the food tubs - for a remote trip I pack 3 tubs - one for equipment, other 2 for unrefridgerated food stuffs, and depending on the trip I get a section of 1 roller draw (dark, cool - for veggies/fruit). The food planning I do at night after work - write a list, buy the food, and get this packed into tubs the weekend before the vehicle is packed. We always do the final "pack" of the vehicle the day before we leave. We always have a drama - something brakes/or is realised omitted during the final pack putting pressure on getting replacement before departure or there's a drama with work - a customer, software update, site update etc putting a spanner in the works. Such a drama is necessary to enjoy the trip departure with a big sigh of relief. Thank god we're away! We need a rest LOL.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 619052

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 15:39

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 15:39
Our countdown is as follows..............

Minus 12 months: Start dreaming, select several options.
Minus 3 months: Make decision, determine timeframes, apply for permits.
Minus 1 week:Check level in windscreen washer.
Minus 3 days: Think about forecasts and consider clothing.
Minus 2 days: Load fuel and kick tyres.
Minus 12 hrs: Load clothing, water and food.
Zero: Fire-up and head off.
Plus 24 hrs: Lament we have left something behind.
Plus 24 hrs and 10 seconds: Say what the hell, who cares?

Don't point out vehicle preparation.... it is always ready at the drop of a hat.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 619053

Reply By: Phil - Monday, May 21, 2018 at 19:56

Monday, May 21, 2018 at 19:56
Being retired and having the van parked in the driveway with servicing and maintenance kept up to date and 80% packed, we are ready to go, just require perishable food, clothing etc to be put in. If anything is forgotten it is aquired on the way. Long trips may take a week or two to organise. The biggest problem is grandchildren comittments, the wife can't miss them. We also try to avoid school holiday periods if possible, makes planning easier.
Phil
AnswerID: 619061

Reply By: Member - Russler - Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 19:06

Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 19:06
There's quite a few variables here, but when I'm looking at a longer trip (6-8 weeks), I'm booking Annual Leave around 18 months before the event. That gives me plenty of time to reassess my Patrol and confirm that all is ship shape (when I did the CSR a while ago, I did need to purchase and replace a few significant items, eg. roofrack, awning, tyres, suspension, vehicle inspection and service). It also gives the group ample time to plan the itinerary, consider (and book?) side trips, investigate fuel and shopping options, etc.
If however a mate called and said let's go up the High Country this weekend, we'd probably chat for 30 minutes about destination and tracks, but we'd be ready to go on Friday after work :)
AnswerID: 619086

Sponsored Links