Car sickness

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:48
ThreadID: 13676 Views:2143 Replies:19 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if any one has any helpfull hints or ideas for children who suffer from car sickness. We do not feed them junk food while we are travelling & they drink plenty of water regards tony.f
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Eric - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:52

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:52
try not to let them look inside the car , read books ect , They need to look ouside if the suffer car sickness , openning the window also helps . Looking at the horison is a great help . Motion tablets are you next alternative
AnswerID: 62706

Follow Up By: fat bastard - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 23:38

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 23:38
Travel in the front Seat, with window open getting plenty of fresh air. Use diversionery tactics, through singing or playing spoto.
FollowupID: 324033

Reply By: joshinthecity - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:55

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 21:55
Music can be a surprising help in my partner's experience.
You'd be surprised how well it can distract.
Also, avoid juice of any kind if possible.

Josh.

AnswerID: 62708

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:37

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:37
Josh, any reason to avoid the juice or is this your observation from experience?
FollowupID: 324025

Follow Up By: joshinthecity - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 15:24

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 15:24
I don't know personally.
I asked Zoe on your behalf ( she suffers from it too ) and she said to mention it.
Sorry I can't be of more help...

Josh.
FollowupID: 324071

Follow Up By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 17:54

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 17:54
Juice and milk sit in your stomach for longer.

Juice is worse as it is acidic, and so is your stomach.

Juice is bad for people with motion sickness
FollowupID: 324218

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:00

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:00
We had a six year old (still have him actually! ;-), who used to go white in the face and have big belly pains on windy roads... Started prepping him as soon as we saw the 'windy road' sign, by saying 'Pretend its a ride mate' - problem gone!!

Only problem now is when we forget to tell him ;-)
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 62712

Reply By: Member - Roachie- Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:01

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:01
Try ginger tablets from health food shop or chemist. There are also "proper" car sick tablets available from chemists which need to be taken half an hour before journey starts (from memory).
Good luck...
AnswerID: 62713

Follow Up By: hardingprj - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 14:36

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 14:36
Also try chewing ginger. I believe this is suppose to be very good. We are getting some for our 4 yr old & me........
FollowupID: 326801

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:22

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:22
Tony.
Motion sickness is caused by the natural reaction of bracing our bodys for a corner or bump not working. The most common cause is if the pasenger is reading or playing and not watching the road. Playing I spy games works for a while. Counting the no of birds worked for days on one trip. Eric.
AnswerID: 62722

Follow Up By: hardingprj - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 14:38

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 14:38
We have had a DVD player installed to our 4WD hoping this will help us out keeping our 4 yr old amused. These fully installed now are resonable cost about $1500. But now i'm worried about car sickenss. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
FollowupID: 326802

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:41

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 22:41
If it's anything like seasickness.............. salada biscuits! dunno why but they work very well.
AnswerID: 62727

Reply By: Andy (S.A.) - Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 23:45

Thursday, Jun 10, 2004 at 23:45
Tony
One way to stop sea sickness is to stand under a tree it seems to work every
time. Another tip for car sickness is to buy a 4wd
I Hope this has helped
Cheers
Andy

AnswerID: 62734

Reply By: Big Trev - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 02:58

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 02:58
Hi Tony,

Firstly let me say I do not envy you children, I suffered as a child and I still suffer now and I am 47 yo. I have worked as a Driver Trainer since 1987. I got car sick driving over the sand dunes out from Camerons Corner as the driver.

Motion sickness is caused by middle ear balance issues, normally inhereted. Most motion sickness is caused by the driver (sorry), but if you were to drive slower around and out of corners, thus reducing hard braking into the next one you will find the problem is greatly reduced, yes it will be a slower trip, but your kids will appreciate it, they will travel better, and you won't have to stop all the time to clean them up, or wait for them to feel better. Constant speed (preferably slow) is the anwer. One of my kids inhereted from me, so I had time to put it into practice, and its works, not perfect, but definetly a huge improvement.

Normally the motion sickness is set up by the forward/back movement, not necesarily the side to side movement as people normally think.

Kids get really anxious about it as they start to see you getting into country that's going to make them feel crook, so keep them settled and try what I suggest. The head down reading is huge issue, as is the fresh air, both help significantly as well, as does the food quality issue.

Just to make you feel bad, and in case your kids haven't told you, if they have a bad dose they can feel crook for up to a week afterwards, it used to happen to me if I spent too much time on the skid pan, and happened very recently when I was STUPID enough to go on to a Tuna boat after being "convinced" I would be OK, bloody hell was I crook, and for a week afterwards. I get it in cars, on planes, on boats, you name it, I get it. bleep es me right off, I tell ya, coz I love the ocean and boats, but I can't do it.
AnswerID: 62743

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 06:20

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 06:20
Tony my mum had a good remody and it worke realy well put a peg on each ear on the loab didnt help for car sickness but we had a good laugh and for got about getting sick. For a while .

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 62747

Reply By: Tim - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 06:39

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 06:39
Tony
Just further to the cause of car sickness. As sonme people have touched on, it is to do with the middle.
Basically the middle ear sends a message to the brain as to our status in regards to moving and balance.
When someone is reading in a car, the brain is being told by the middle ear that it is moving but the eyes are telling it a differant story the end result is nausea and eventually vomitting.
Thats also why the theory looking at the horizon works, the aim is to get what the brain sees and what the brain is told its doing by the middle ear in sync.
The reason having the window down works is because when the middle ear tells the brain that your moving, the wind confirms that movement, even if your eyes are reading, for some reason that is discounted.
You will also find that the driver of a vehicle (99.9% of the time) will never get motion sickness. Studies show its something to do with the driver knowing what is coming in the way of movement and compensating for that.
Now what you can do for your kids is basically what the other guys have suggested. Wind the window down, get the child to sit in the middle of the back row so they can see straight ahead, take it a bit easier on the driving and also herbal remedies. Another I have found is these bands. Basically a watch band worn on each wrist with a plastic lump that hits a pressure point when worn correctly will stop motion sickness.
Hope that helps
Tim
AnswerID: 62748

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 07:15

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 07:15
Tim, most people don't believe you can get car sick as a driver, let me reassure you I do, not very often though. Mind you it is normally under extreme circumstances, like the endless sand-dune stuff. I remember when I used to do lot of skid pan work, I could do about 5 minutes of demonstration stuff, then I was knackered. I couldn't even sit in with the customers while they did the training, I had to get some-one else to do it.

Not much fun, lets hopw there are enough tips here to help Tony out.
FollowupID: 324042

Follow Up By: hardingprj - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 14:41

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 14:41
Tim, this is very valuable. Thankyou.
FollowupID: 326803

Reply By: Nudenut - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:33

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:33
Quell's ...available form chemist
AnswerID: 62756

Reply By: Cina Troopy - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:44

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:44
Wow!! didnt know I had so many fellow sufferers lol, I would never go more than across the harbour to Manly without taking serious medication for sea sickness. I find in cars and buses as long as I sit near the front and usually devour a packet of minties within an hour I am ok. I have tried the ginger tablets, they didnt work for me, and I doubt kids would chew them. For me the peppermint in the minties works most times.

C in a Troopy
AnswerID: 62758

Reply By: Member - PatC - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:23

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:23
Kwell is best I've come across.
AnswerID: 62768

Follow Up By: hardingprj - Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 14:42

Thursday, Jul 01, 2004 at 14:42
Cool better get some
FollowupID: 326804

Reply By: Grinner - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 12:07

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 12:07
My girlfriend uses "SeaBands". These are elasticated bands that you wear around your wrists (like sweat bands). They have a small plastic blob sewn in that applies gentle pressure on one of the veins in your wrist. They seem to work for her.

Grinner
AnswerID: 62777

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:37

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 22:37
Hi Tony f,

I think the best and cheapest solution to car sickness is "Spearmint" life savers

Spearmint works better than Pepermint but that can be the next best thing

a slightly dearer option is pure "spearmint oil" on a cotton ball which the child smells while traveling

Hope this Helps

Regards
Muddy Girl & John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 62851

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 18:06

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 18:06
I take kids on long bus trips each year (22hours) and have never had a spewer.

The rules

Kids that have a history of motion sickness are to have consulted a physician, some are prescribed things like stemetil, most are just asked to take kwells.

Kids with a history are to sit at the front of the bus.

No reading

No gameboys

No milk or juice

Must wear sunglasses, (the glare causes headaches which really do not help the situation.)

Distraction is good, movies are fine, but a tape of video clips is better.

Vents stay open all the time, bus is set at 22deg, if kids get cold they climb under the blanket or sleeping bag.

We pop the hatch every few hours to introduce some fresh air.

If someone is feeling ill, they move to the front and we get them to lie down across two seats (while still wearing a set belt)

------ the lying down bit is great, the more of your body that is in contact with a surface that is moving eg the bus seat, the less 'confusion' the brain is getting about that movement, this one really works, but is difficult to do.

Don't talk about being sick as they get on the bus, this just sets them up to fail, parents are the worst at this!!

drinking sips of water is good, as are sugary sweets like snakes and jelly babies.

these work for us, and will hopefully work again this week as I take two busloads of 12 year olds to Canberra and the Snoe for ten days!!
AnswerID: 62907

Reply By: tony.f - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 22:31

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 22:31
Thanks everyone for your feed back it is much appreciated
I guess we are lucky that only one of our three children suffer regards tony.f
AnswerID: 62935

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 09:33

Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 09:33
Tony,

Some great responses for you. Have a few ideas we've tried over the years. Had a 60 series Tojo, which would make the Girls sick on windy roads, such as the Putty Road. Put new Lovell springs and good shockies on it and problem was reduced. Always had to slow down. Eldest daughter always sat in middle, which helped her.

Avoid the Kwells etc as there are natural remedies that work well, and won't make the Kids crook, or drowsy for hours afterward. There are patches, that stick behind the ear, that work, but don't make you feel crook in the stomach.

Few "natural" remedies are: Ginger tablets(swallowed), chew glace ginger, ginger ale, Peppermint Oil on cotton ball stuck into air vent, Pepermint oil on temples, Sea Bands, piece of cotton wool inserted in left ear(wife uses this with some success in fixed wing aircraft), comfortable sunglasses as mentioned above, some headphones will cause motion sickness. And plenty of fresh air, and sitting in front of vehicle.

Triggers can be a problem, have done a lot of hours in helicopters, mustering cattle over the past 30 years, and just the smell of Avgas can make me "uncomfortable". Confidence in the pilot can help to prolong the time before motion sickness catches up to you.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 62964

Reply By: GLD - Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 14:13

Sunday, Jun 13, 2004 at 14:13
I'm with grinner on this one.

When my daughter was young she used to get car sick going 50km - no joke - and she had ear problems so reading the above posts about middle ear, perhaps that had something to do with it.

Anyway, when we were going on our first long trip I bought those wrist bands that velcro on to the wrist with a plastic hard knob that presses into the wrist......they work without a doubt......we travelled a couple of thousand kms and not one chuck!!!!!

I wear them now whenever we go out in a boat that is in open water.
AnswerID: 62983

Sponsored Links