Kimberley Travellers & CSR Travellers look out for this cyclist

Submitted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 17:18
ThreadID: 136780 Views:3422 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just had a phone chat with Greg S4 (new ExplorOz visitor) who is currently travelling through the Kimberley on his fat bike (see photos). He left Kunnunurra yesterday - was hoping to hitch a lift to Wyndham I believe?. From there he is headed to Halls Creek and will commence the Canning Stock Route solo and unassisted the whole way to Wiluna (ie. no backup support crew, no one to carry his water or food). It will take about a month. He is clearly no newcomer to such adventures and he's well prepared (or as well as you can for this type of journey) but there's a lot of mod cons he doesn't have. He has purchased the ExplorOz Traveller app to get access to view offline maps and of course the CSR Trek is loaded so he can view distances between wells etc but he can't charge batteries in his iPhone so will have it off most of the time, and just turn it on to check the distance for the day's journey and to plan his water requirements etc.

I spoke with him about his experiences last week travelling along the Gibb River Road and I asked if there was anything we could do for him. He simply said he would really appreciate people stopping for a chat, rather than travelling past. This means he doesn't get a mouth of dust and instead he gets some company - something he cannot provide for himself on this journey. He also keep talking about steak sandwiches ;)

So here's some pics of his bike rig and his face to help you recognise him. If you are travelling that way in the next few weeks please keep an eye out for him and spare a moment of your time to give him what he needs. Yep he may have taken this strange journey upon himself so clearly he likes doing it tough so don't pity him, but it is a challenge all the same and he'd really appreciate your time (and maybe a snack to help him with his energy reserves). Maybe offer to charge his phone?

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 20:34

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 20:34
Best wishes for a safe trip Greg.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 619251

Reply By: Candace S. - Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 20:58

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 20:58
And I thought the cyclists on the Stuart Highway were doing something extreme! :)

I won't be on the CSR so I can't offer assistance but I definitely wish him well!

However, I'm wondering why he doesn't have one of those small solar panels to keep his phone going? "Thru hikers" on multi-week treks such as the Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide Trail, etc. use them.

Example ultra-lite solar charger
AnswerID: 619252

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 04:37

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 04:37
Hi Candace - he says he has '... a small solar panel and power bank '. More here
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canningstockroute/search/?query=samporlino

and here
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001142796074&fref=gs&dti=1750396941861551&hc_location=group_dialog

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 891506

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 22:59

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 22:59
Thx!

Kinda like your signature: I was too lazy to search for it! :)
FollowupID: 891513

Reply By: RobynR4 - Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 15:43

Thursday, May 31, 2018 at 15:43
Michelle, I wish him all the steak sandwiches he can eat!
:)
AnswerID: 619263

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 14:28

Saturday, Jun 02, 2018 at 14:28
And if you don't stop for a chat, don't forget to give the 2m clearance as you whiz past. LOL
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 619303

Sponsored Links