Article Comment: ExplorOz Traveller

Thread 136811 prompts a suggestion for Traveller.

Could you place a cursor in the middle of the screen so that when scrolling the map the lat and long at the cursor is displayed? Ie, similar to OziExplorer for Android.

And then make it so that you can drop a pin at that cursor position without having to touch the screen to get the "drop point". That would make it really easy to find a location and set a Place if necessary when the only info you have is lat/long.

EDIT:
It's just been pointed out in the thread that the lat/long in the save place dialogue is editable, so that addresses the OP's question in the thread.

Any chance you can make the Position Display Format in Settings flow through the whole app, so that the coordinates in the save place dialogue and elsewhere could be in the user's preferred format?

I still like the idea of the coordinates being updated and displayed as you scroll the map with the ability to drop a pin at the cursor - that would be a nice tweak.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 11, 2018 at 13:53

Monday, Jun 11, 2018 at 13:53
Hi Frank,
I've given thought to your suggestions however:
1) format style to flow from user settings to create new place box noted, thanks we can look into that.
2) cursor in centre and drop pin at cursor - function not required as app already allows method to create place at any known gps position or visual position. You'll get used to the press/hold method, it is no less accurate/difficult than the other method - just different.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 619471

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jun 11, 2018 at 14:15

Monday, Jun 11, 2018 at 14:15
Thanks Michelle,

Just another thought re 2) above ...

You are correct, there is an easy method to create a place anywhere so in that respect it's not needed.

But now, as you have indicated in Thread 136809 you wish to pursue a broader market, I think the mod would be an enhancement that would appeal to many people.

One might use the direct readout of coordinates to cross check the location against another sourcec, map, etc. Yep, you could open the create place dialogue there and get the info, so again you're right, it's not 100% necessary.

It's a "bell or whistle" that I think many in a broader audience would see as attractive - a bit of "polish" if you like that perhaps other mouse-free nav programs don't have. Not a must-have, but IMHO, a nice to have.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 891755

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Monday, Jun 11, 2018 at 14:36

Monday, Jun 11, 2018 at 14:36
An enhancement I would like to see that goes hand in hand with entering waypoints is the ability to select and enter co-ordinates in different formats instead of converting them external to ExplorOz Traveller.
FollowupID: 891758

Sponsored Links