GENERATORS

Submitted: Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:19
ThreadID: 13682 Views:1704 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know how to remove the static on the AM Band when running a radio on a generator.(you guessed it, it's a GMC). Does not occur on FM, but thats a bit hard to receive in the bush. Was thinking that maybe the static is coming from the plug side and it could do with a suppressor of some sort on the high tension side. Before you say buy a Honda etc, just a straight answer will suffice from some one with electronic know how.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bazza - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:22

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 10:22
G'Day Chris,
If you can determin that the static is on the 240v output you may be able to purchase a "plug-in" in-line filter, which may solve the problem. If it's not on the output side and being generated by cheap wiring/insulation, that's probably not fixable.
Now .... buy a Honda! ( notice my comment was "before" I suggested you buy a Honda, lol )
Good luck,
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 62767

Reply By: Davoe - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 12:37

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 12:37
sorry if this is a dumb answer but when out bush I use a $20 am/fm radio to listen to the cricket/footy it takes 4 aa batterys and I dont know how long you get out of a set of batterys coz I have never had to change them
AnswerID: 62778

Reply By: V8troopie - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 14:34

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 14:34
When you say "running on a Generator" I assume its powered by the genny, not just sitting on it?? :-)
You have to find out if the interferance comes in via the antenna or via the power lines.
First, power the radio from batteries and run the genny next to it. Still interferance? Its coming via the antenna and you have to fit some kind of spark noise suppressor to the genny's plugs.
Interferance only when powered from the genny? its coming through the power lines. Cure might be fitting the lines through a ferrite toroid ring (wind on as many turns of both wires as you can fit through the central hole). You can get these rings ad Dick Smith. Another fix is to fit a large electrolytic capacitor across the power lines at the radio end. Watch for the correct the polarity of the capacitor. I suggest try a 1000uF/25V rated one to begin, increase the uF rating if not fully satisfied with the noise reduction.
The above assumes you are talking about a 12V radio and not your priced mantelpiece set?? :-)
Good luck,
Klaus
AnswerID: 62792

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 18:48

Friday, Jun 11, 2004 at 18:48
Just a thought......

Suppressor on the Engine Electrics? Eg...... Coil suppressor.
AnswerID: 62809

Reply By: CHRIS - Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:17

Saturday, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:17
Thanks to all for your info and will try the various ideas.
AnswerID: 62876

Sponsored Links