Off Road Caravan Insurance

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 16:32
ThreadID: 136841 Views:859 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived

Looking at different options for comprehensive insurance for an AOR Hybrid van. Currently with CIL but price keeps going up. Also, they only send out renewal notices by snail mail which, given you have a caravan and travel away from home, means you can easily find yourself uninsured.

Wondering about other companies people have used. QBE looks very competitive but other ideas and feedback welcome.

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Rangiephil - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 16:42

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 16:42
Somewhat surprisingly I found NRMA to be competitive for my Camp'o'matic camper trailer. I was previously with Alliance AFAIR and they kept going up but were still cheaper than others.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 619552

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 18:25

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 18:25
I use QBE for camper and motorbike. Competitive prices. Luckily I,ve never required their services.
AnswerID: 619556

Reply By: PeterInSa - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 18:35

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 18:35
If you have an Off Road van, I take it you are going off the Tar and have a 4x4.

Either the 4x4 can have problems or the van and a tow/tray job can cost especially if you go out on your own, or friends vehicle cannot do the tow.

We do not use the firm below, but am considering.

AnswerID: 619557

Reply By: CSeaJay - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 18:37

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 18:37
I also have an AOR and insure with CIL.
CIL do not quibble about dollars and cents when it come to repairs, other insurers screw down AOR’s hourly rates and cost of materials, which (surprise) will affect quality of repair. Some insurers insist you use their repair agents.
If I do have an accident, I will be grateful to have it repaired by the manufacturer to their high standard without out of pocket cost.
AnswerID: 619558

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:01

Thursday, Jun 14, 2018 at 19:01
We have our tow vehicle with Club 4x4 because of 2 things. 1. They are willing to cover more in the way of accessories & modifications than most & 2. because they are unique in offering remote area recovery cover.

It seemed to make sense to have the same cover for our Tvan.

I also like their rather more transparent approach to their customers than many.

Premiums have risen each year, but I think this is common across the board.

Worth getting at least getting a quote from them.
AnswerID: 619559

Reply By: Rob A2 - Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 17:07

Friday, Jun 15, 2018 at 17:07
We have an AOR Q+ with CIL and no problems at all at renewal. Just posted an update on the AOR forum. As well they did an excellent job sorting out the carnage from a kangaroo kicking the Q+ got last year no questions at all or issues with the claim or process.

As well we get our cover renewals by email never thought it was an issue

AnswerID: 619604

Reply By: OutBack Wanderers - Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 00:18

Saturday, Jun 16, 2018 at 00:18
My BT-50 with a NorthStar Slide-On OffRoada is insured with Ken Tame & Associates, but you have to join the Campervan Motorhome Club of Australia, to use their own Insurence Company

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 619615

Reply By: Malcom M - Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:19

Monday, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:19
We found NRMA to be cheapest but then along came Club 4X4 which is cheaper still.
Both cover us for pretty much anything / anywhere.
AnswerID: 619657

Popular Content

Popular Products (14)